Sponsored by:

Pete Stout's New Venture - 000 Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,634 Likes on 2,317 Posts

i am pretty sure the 999 S subscription will sell out soon if not already.
i was getting 6 S subscriptions but pete stopped me. something about hoarding..... or sharing....
hahaha, sharing... that's so funny.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:05 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete has assured me that only Seinfeld, McQueen and I will be allowed 6. Since McQueen won't be grabbing his anytime soon, Jerry and I will split Steve's 6. I'm letting 3 of mine go for $2000 ea until November 1. After that double it on the 1st of each successive month.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:13 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

$350 for international subscriptions. :-) will give a try though. Really like the idea, doing most of my reading on the iPad now it would be nice to go back to something collectible like this.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's interesting to see how exclusivity can be reviled and yet revered at the same time. When an exclusive and or expensive product comes available there is a piling on of ridiculing the provider as well as the "stooges" that would pay for it. However, every time there is a thread with a car that is a different color blue the clamoring and praising follows. I'm sure every one here would love to have one these "stooges" as a friend, just for the opportunity to lay their hands on one of the hardcover copies. It looks like a wonderful product and I wish Mr. Stout success, in a world where true artistic appreciation is fading. (and no I do not go to galleries)
Old 10-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The 'Subscription S' concept may turn some people off to the extent that they don't go for the regular subscription, but otherwise would have.
I may be wrong about this. I just remembered the basic marketing principle that offering a very expensive option makes the other options look like more of a bargain. When a restaurant menu has a $52 entree, the $31 entrees don't look so expensive ...

And of course there may be enough people with deep enough pockets that they wouldn't even blink at $999 for Subscription S. My pockets aren't that deep, and I'm generally not a collector of anything, so maybe I just can't relate.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:57 AM
atc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

in this market segment, if these are as high quality as they are purported to be, expect collector status amongst the fiercest fan boys (meant to be a compliment!).

quality begets collectability
Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
Pete stout's work has been top grade. I wish him well on this exciting new magazine!
Indeed. Congratulations, Pete!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Thanks, everyone!!

I don't really even like the term "collectible," and am not focussed on it. I just want to make good magazines. If 000 becomes collectible...well, that will only be because others collect it. But I guess people did collect Excellence and Panorama, which had crazy high hold rates in surveys. That always meant a lot to me. Now we'll try making the thing that's being held onto a nicer thing to hold onto. Truth be told, I thought about telling our publicist to pull then term "collectible" from all communications, but there are times where you hire the best and have to step back and let them do what you hired them to do.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:02 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Will there be an electronic version as well with the subscription? I travel about 50% of the time and never take any paper with me other than money and passport. I do all of my reading on planes/at airports/in cars.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:19 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

The electronic version will be introduced early next week. It is a slick device called a "Stoutpak". Usual keypad for collecting your e mail while reading but offers no other weird distractions from the task at hand. It automatically bills your Paypal 99C ea time you flip a page. The "S" version has "000" embossed on the cover, has three dimensional photos and you can choose font size, color and style. The "S" version will bill at a rate commensurate with the financial statement you file in order to qualify.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^Yup have saved all my copies of both Excellence and Panorama, I have always felt an obligation to.

Auto week and RT get tossed

I may treat myself to the triple 0 , Christmas is coming and it's only part of a tire
Old 10-12-2016, 01:31 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

I will need shelf space for 000 so will will be parting with Pano back to 68 and Excellence including "PORSCHE".
Old 10-12-2016, 01:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Will there be an electronic version as well with the subscription? I travel about 50% of the time and never take any paper with me other than money and passport. I do all of my reading on planes/at airports/in cars.
You know, it's funny. I print magazines, but have switched to reading books on a screen...a friggin' iPhone, even. Reason: I can read at night on a black screen turned way down without waking my better half...and portability. Plus, I find it works great for text.

Magazines are a different thing, at least from my perspective—mainly due to the photos and, particularly, the layouts with captions, etc. I know there are customers out there who prefer to take them digitally, as you and several of my friends do. When we went through serious hoops to provide a good and secure setup for Panorama, however, we found the use rate was tiny. Time spent with the pages was even less compelling. From a pure business standpoint, I couldn't justify it if looking at the numbers. But it didn't cost a lot to do, really, and PCA is a non-profit that was doing very well, and it made some folks really happy, and we figured it might grow, and it created a digital archive for the club—so it was right to keep it available.

With 000, we went into it looking at providing access to back issues digitally—but securing them becomes an issue, and there is no way to make content truly secure the moment you make it available in digital form. I also suspect that the temptation to make articles and even whole issues "shareware" probably goes up at 000's price point. So, we need to consider several aspects of this and have put that avenue on hold for now.

Last edited by stout; 10-12-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLT951
The electronic version will be introduced early next week. It is a slick device called a "Stoutpak". Usual keypad for collecting your e mail while reading but offers no other weird distractions from the task at hand. It automatically bills your Paypal 99C ea time you flip a page. The "S" version has "000" embossed on the cover, has three dimensional photos and you can choose font size, color and style. The "S" version will bill at a rate commensurate with the financial statement you file in order to qualify.
Hmm, could be something in it.

No one has yet figured out the homepage ticker, which doubles as a drinking game for Porsche nerds. "Whup, you don't know what a 980 is...?"
Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Recent rumor has it that "Stoutpak" will include a three dimensional auto racing video game featuring your very own car and an assortment of cars of your personal choosing. Tracks and drivers will be at your discretion. One popular choice will be the track from your house to a popular landmark of your choice. McDonald's, Home Depot, Arthur Murray's or even the taco truck. Small fee, of course! The fee will be adjusted by what you lose in the divorce.

Quick Reply: Pete Stout's New Venture - 000 Magazine