The psyche of a Porsche GT? buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
interesting subject.

no matter which hobby you participate in, there are always the 'real deal' and 'poser' camps. each one judges each as they see fit.

from a marketing perspective, it would seem the latest round of GT cars have had much more exposure than previously. With forums and web video/reviews, there is way more room for exposure beyond magazines and tv shows. The cars are fast and good looking and thus attract buyers looking for same.

If the GT cars in the past were hidden and elusive gems, the secret is out with both demand and supply increased.
Nailed it on the head.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 PM
HoustonGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are non-posers the ones who track their cars or daily drive them? I have never tracked mine, but I do DD it. I think I have over 16,000 miles on my 2015 GT3. My enjoyment comes from daily commutes, long trips and ripping through Hill Country. Like all of us, I had to bust my *** to get one, so I can't see tearing it up on a track, but I don't have any ill feelings towards those that do. In fact, I am glad and appreciative that they do track their cars. Porsches mean different things to all of us and as long as they make us smile, who cares how it is produced.

As far as a GT psyche goes, from reading this list, most of us seem to fall into one or more of the following categories: hard-working, educated, smart, appreciate the mechanical and aesthetic qualities of these cars, interested in living life, etc. It also seems like a lot of us had some encounter with Porsches as a child and have worked hard to rewarded ourselves with a GT car. Just my .02
The following users liked this post:
BruceT (03-03-2024)
Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe a huge % bought them because they are the new hot thing. And they are just as great at cruising as tracking now.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Always find it interesting how certain 'enthusiasts' spend so much time worrying about other people, their motivations, and how best to stereotype them. Says more about the psyche of the 'enthusiast' than the people they're judging. Who gives a rats *** how/why other people enjoy their cars?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
interesting subject.

no matter which hobby you participate in, there are always the 'real deal' and 'poser' camps. each one judges each as they see fit.

from a marketing perspective, it would seem the latest round of GT cars have had much more exposure than previously. With forums and web video/reviews, there is way more room for exposure beyond magazines and tv shows. The cars are fast and good looking and thus attract buyers looking for same.

If the GT cars in the past were hidden and elusive gems, the secret is out with both demand and supply increased.
Spot on. More cars, more marketing, more people, more interest and probably more expendable income in the right segments than ever before. There are no more hidden gems...
Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

i have been around P cars for over 50 years. First exposed to our neighbor's 356 that my dad used to describe as a glorified VW. As I busted my tail end and my financial fortunes started looking up I entered the world of P car ownership. As I progressed through the line, and sometimes regressed, I see my GT3 as the culmination of that voyage. To me it means having reached the apex of Porsche's offerings
(outside of hypercar offerings). No, I do not track, nor do I DD the car. I, however, do derive great pleasure in getting it on the road, flogging it where safe, hearing its sounds as it revs to 9k, feeling the transmission click seamlessly from gear to gear. At the end of the day I know I drive an example of automotive triumph. That gives me a great deal of satisfaction.
The following users liked this post:
911 (04-10-2024)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
i have been around P cars for over 50 years. First exposed to our neighbor's 356 that my dad used to describe as a glorified VW. As I busted my tail end and my financial fortunes started looking up I entered the world of P car ownership. As I progressed through the line, and sometimes regressed, I see my GT3 as the culmination of that voyage. To me it means having reached the apex of Porsche's offerings
(outside of hypercar offerings). No, I do not track, nor do I DD the car. I, however, do derive great pleasure in getting it on the road, flogging it where safe, hearing its sounds as it revs to 9k, feeling the transmission click seamlessly from gear to gear. At the end of the day I know I drive an example of automotive triumph. That gives me a great deal of satisfaction.
I like what I hear.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

There is no right or wrong, to track or not, ownership of these cars ticks different and important boxes for each of us. Pleasure, regardless of the box that provides it, is of course at the heart of ownership.

I don't live near a track but have instant access to awesome roads. Thats where I derive pleasure and can reasonably experience the engineering marvels that these cars are. Pleasure of ownership is sometimes equally matched by a picture I may have taken, or me simply admiring the car parked in my garage. Like or not, the difference with these cars is also about "exclusivity" and in some way it does personify some of our individual traits. Pleasure for some may be posing with the car, or keep it as an investment, is that bad? Do those reasons make ownership any less justifiable than for someone who tracks the car?
Old 09-16-2016, 02:18 AM
SC62
Instructor

Interesting thread. Best reliable road legal track car under $300k.

Psych eval: Extroverted, highly competitive nerd trying to be subtle (GT Silver and Black) and somewhat under the radar. Hasn't worked with the RS.

I have a history of buying land and sea vehicles that are the pinnacle of performance for a brand or class. Air is next. I do this to feed my desire to go as fast as possible and push myself to operate confidently and comfortably at the limit with the best possible equipment to do so safely.

I bought the GT cars for the following:

1. Performance, Sound & Feel
2. Engineering, Design & Versatility
3. Racing Heritage
4. Build Quality & Reliability
5. Value for money
6. Fun

2nd GT car and am starting to really enjoy the enthusiastic and dedicated community.

It would be great if someone could dig up some of the statistics that were conducted a while back: age, color choice, industry of employment etc. on the purchasers.

Both of mine are drivers and track bandits not garage queens. 8k miles on my GT3 before sale and 2.4k on my RS so far.
Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2016, 02:20 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

op asked about the psyche of GT car owner... as i said in a related thread little while back...

gt car buyers/owners want to have the best/edgiest/highest caliber p-car available (we'll leave 918's out of it for now for sake of making the point, and we will leave intermediaries/financial mercenary owners out as well)

WHY they want these cars can be for driving pleasure or self image/ego gratification/pride of ownership or some blend of the above

these are extreme sporting vehicles and some of us have the means/ability/surroundings to extract a little or a lot of their performance, on road, on track, on pleasure drives, on commutes, or just staring at them parked ... but all of us like having them to make ourselves feel good one way or another... we are all wired differently and based on our values and upbringing and life experiences some of us measure this more personally within ourselves and some want/need to see this reflected back at us by bystanders/friends/peers

at the end of day these are luxury goods and this quickly becomes a discussion about the behavior/thought process of buyers of expensive luxury goods

the discussion of poseurs or not is unproductive and judgemental imho... it is a road to nowhere
Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

This is the path Porsche has chosen to take.
To add a lot more street friendly ability to the gt/RS lineup!
I can guarantee you no one will drive their 996rs around town to show off their car. With the 991 gen it opened up a new market. (Maybe the 997 started it) A few of us feel that the gt/RS is heading down the wrong road and need to make a U turn. But, Porsche gt/RS sales is thru the roof so that's unlikely.
Like Mooty said, "these cars used to make no sense". That's IMO the beaty of them. They were niche cars for strange caracteurs. Now they are better and make more sense. It's probably a good thing?
Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I fell in love with the 911 before I went to college. I always thought they were glorified VW's but an unplanned drive (as passenger) in a 911 changed my mind. Ferrari was always the "look at me" car, which never really interested me. The 911 just seemed like a really cool car. I remember thinking that when I graduated and got a decent job, I was going to get one. It took a little longer.

So part of it was achieving a goal, and the 911 was the reward for that. Being in Southern Cal, I also would look at people driving 911's and think, there's someone who's doing it right. I guess I figured when I got one, I was doing it right also.

Bottom line, I like cars. The 911 GT3 is the top of the mountain for me. It ticks all the boxes, and I have worked hard enough over the years to get it. So I did. I didn't really think too much more about it.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:41 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I took Mayur's question more of "how can a bunch of GT3 owners hit it off so easily without a lot of previous history? What is it in a GT3 owner that is seemingly shared among the others?"

The answer to that is maybe not so simple, but maybe on the surface it's twofold.

First, you have finances. For someone to be able to afford one of these, they need to be successful in whatever they do. There are certain types of personalities that can reach the level where that's possible. So there's a common bond whether that's an entrepreneurial spirit or just a positive enough attitude to reach this level in your career. Boring, average people don't typically get to this point in their careers. They're satisfied with status quo.

Of course, it can't be ALL financial because we all know rich guys with awesome cars who aren't fun people and aren't fun to be around. I'm sure there are some on this board even.

That's where we get to the second half of the equation. So we have the finances to afford a car like this but we also have the finances to afford just about any other attainable vehicle. So why did we pick a GT3/RS and maybe that's more where the bond comes in? I would never want to spend this kind of money on a sofa or a rolls royce or a bentley or just something to show status. I could never pull off driving a Lambo because I would just be too self conscious; I own a roofing company, have a beard, wear sneakers and t-shirts every day.

Personally I wanted the best possible driving *EXPERIENCE* that I could afford. I came from an ~800 HP Audi RS7 and unfortunately, it can't really be driven at that point. I yearned to be able to hit the mountains, maybe do some track days... a couple days at the drag strip taught me that I can't really go any faster. It's the same time every time. I want to add 100 more hp? It's going to cost me $50k... ok, that's boring. But I did want to push the envelope, I didn't want to compromise and I didn't want to second guess my decision or desire something else. The GT3 RS had always been that car for me.... I'm sure there are a lot of others with that same sort of philosophy here.

Maybe this came from our little Lava Orange text group we have for the Atlanta area. I've actually never met any of the guys on the list, but I feel like they're my buddies and we have a bunch in common even though we're different ages, different backgrounds and all of that. We share a rare common bond and it breaks down barriers. I dig it and I can't wait to have a beer with the guys!

Interesting conversation that's gone in a few different directions here. Just thought I'd drop in my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:54 PM
SC62
Instructor

Originally Posted by tonymission
I took Mayur's question more of "how can a bunch of GT3 owners hit it off so easily without a lot of previous history? What is it in a GT3 owner that is seemingly shared among the others?" The answer to that is maybe not so simple, but maybe on the surface it's twofold. First, you have finances. For someone to be able to afford one of these, they need to be successful in whatever they do. There are certain types of personalities that can reach the level where that's possible. So there's a common bond whether that's an entrepreneurial spirit or just a positive enough attitude to reach this level in your career. Boring, average people don't typically get to this point in their careers. They're satisfied with status quo. Of course, it can't be ALL financial because we all know rich guys with awesome cars who aren't fun people and aren't fun to be around. I'm sure there are some on this board even. That's where we get to the second half of the equation. So we have the finances to afford a car like this but we also have the finances to afford just about any other attainable vehicle. So why did we pick a GT3/RS and maybe that's more where the bond comes in? I would never want to spend this kind of money on a sofa or a rolls royce or a bentley or just something to show status. I could never pull off driving a Lambo because I would just be too self conscious; I own a roofing company, have a beard, wear sneakers and t-shirts every day. Personally I wanted the best possible driving *EXPERIENCE* that I could afford. I came from an ~800 HP Audi RS7 and unfortunately, it can't really be driven at that point. I yearned to be able to hit the mountains, maybe do some track days... a couple days at the drag strip taught me that I can't really go any faster. It's the same time every time. I want to add 100 more hp? It's going to cost me $50k... ok, that's boring. But I did want to push the envelope, I didn't want to compromise and I didn't want to second guess my decision or desire something else. The GT3 RS had always been that car for me.... I'm sure there are a lot of others with that same sort of philosophy here. Maybe this came from our little Lava Orange text group we have for the Atlanta area. I've actually never met any of the guys on the list, but I feel like they're my buddies and we have a bunch in common even though we're different ages, different backgrounds and all of that. We share a rare common bond and it breaks down barriers. I dig it and I can't wait to have a beer with the guys! Interesting conversation that's gone in a few different directions here. Just thought I'd drop in my 2 cents.
Great response. Agree on the shared entrepreneurial spirit/ drive. I have also found the group to be rather meticulous and a greater attention to detail than other p car owners.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Tonymission, spot on and my intention very well stated.

Quick Reply: The psyche of a Porsche GT? buyer.