Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Experience in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did another RLer ED on a GT3RS last yr via my mom's travel agency. Worked well- have been meaning to put more into this online, but was waiting to release it when I put my entire website up.

I'm interested in shipping my car for the summer to Switzerland & driving around Europe as getting a ED that will work hasn't lined up w/ Porsche.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
No way. I'd say 25K minimum.
Agree. At Porsche events, a GT3 costs a minimum of $3,000/day...and even then there is still a $10,000 excess if you crash it.

RSR rent a GT3 at SPA but it will cost you a minimum $3,000 for 24 laps and $4,200 for 36 laps.

The reality is, there is just no cheap way to do it.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Desert_dude
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make it at least 2 Weeks, but with your own car. Reduce a lot of stress between the tracks plus you can enjoy also country side roads and on top of it Autobahn :-)

Nuerburgring
Spa
Bilster Berg
Hockenheim

then some Country roads in Black forrest after that may

magne cours

then over to the alps and enjoy the driving there. If there is still live in your muscles do it again :-)
Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The Nürburgring is in the village of Nürburg. The population of Nürburg (according to Wikipedia) in 2013 was 60. Sixty. So, no... there is no easy access by train. Or plane. Or by car. On one leg of my many visits there this summer, I took a taxi from Nürburg to Koblenz which was about 45 ~ 50 min drive. Koblenz is the closest town with a train station. As far as I know, Uber doesn't exist in Germany (it may be in the largest cities such as Berlin, but everyone I asked had never heard of it).

From my experience, track days in Europe are at least twice what they cost here. I was paying typically about 800 ~ 1000 euros per day. Be aware that they typically do NOT have run groups or even sessions. They run as an open pit lane, meaning you go out on track whenever you like. So you should be comfortable with passing anywhere without a signal, as well as mixing it up with the full spectrum of experience and speed, and yes I mean pro race drivers and full-on race cars. I mixed it up with Cup cars, Clubsports, Le Mans style prototypes, I even saw a DTM car that was just a few years out of the circus.

The Porsche Sport Driving School in Europe is fantastic. I highly recommend it. It is, however, even more expensive. Plus you can rent any Porsche you like, and the insurance is built in to the price.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Just don't do this:
Looks very strange, car seems to just veer off...

Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just don't do this:
Looks very strange, car seems to just veer off...

04.09.2016 Porsche 991 GT3 RS Crash Nürburgring Nordschleife Touristenfahrten - YouTube

The Rear stepped out right at corner exit and the driver was slowly playing catch up after that. Can't tell if the rear stepped out under braking or right at the exit of the previous corner.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:51 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Not the best weather to be running the ring. ^^
Old 09-06-2016, 05:22 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

At the last PSDS I did at the 'Ring in August, I sat right seat with the instructor for a handful of laps, as it was raining so hard I didn't see the point in pressing my luck. Here is a snippet of our conversation:

Me: So... you race here, right?

Inst: Yes, for sure!

Me: VLN and such, right?

Inst: Yes.

Me: So, if this were a VLN race right now, would they red-flag the race?

Inst: Oh, yeah. For sure.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:07 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
The Rear stepped out right at corner exit and the driver was slowly playing catch up after that. Can't tell if the rear stepped out under braking or right at the exit of the previous corner.
MHO: He is driving too fast. You must brake earlier there, before you enter the old very slippery tarmac. Braking straight is also a good thing.

It is an balance act in the wet in Arenberg.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:40 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 556 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
At the last PSDS I did at the 'Ring in August, I sat right seat with the instructor for a handful of laps, as it was raining so hard I didn't see the point in pressing my luck. Here is a snippet of our conversation:

Me: So... you race here, right?

Inst: Yes, for sure!

Me: VLN and such, right?

Inst: Yes.

Me: So, if this were a VLN race right now, would they red-flag the race?

Inst: Oh, yeah. For sure.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kobalt
MHO: He is driving too fast. You must brake earlier there, before you enter the old very slippery tarmac. Braking straight is also a good thing.

It is an balance act in the wet in Arenberg.
Whole heartedly agree... further, it looks like he's trying to drive the 'dry' line - getting over as far as possible to the left in order to turn-in and make as large a radius as possible. And that's just inexperience in trying to do so in the rain. The 'dry' line is the most slippery in a corner where the most rubber is laid down (especially the braking zone).

There are many, many corners at the 'Ring that are simply ice on the 'dry' line when wet.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what i found surprising is how good the car looked AFTER the impact...

Nothing was out of place or smashed despite bouncing off armco... looks like just some scratches...

I'm sure it still wont be cheap to fix though...

Quick Reply: Driving Experience in Europe