Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to trick airbag system when fitting a bucket seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016 | 10:14 AM
PhilMorrison
Advanced

Default Is there a way to trick airbag system when fitting a bucket seat

My 991 GT3 has comfort seats. I would like to fit a proper bucket seat for trackdays. I have the GMG frame, and bucket seat. But is it possible to trick the airbag system into thinking the seat / airbag / belt tensioner is still fitted somehow? So it doesn't throw airbag errors?

I have the basic Durametric, but I don't think it's possible to disable and re-enable airbags.
Old 08-25-2016 | 01:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not possible.

Even with PIWIS. Tried it.

In theory, you could do it by simply recoding the entire car, but the risk with that is (and it's a big risk) if you don't do it exactly right you could end up "bricking" the car and freezing the entire electronic system, sensors, etc.
Old 08-25-2016 | 01:20 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Yes, at least with GT4s, this is possible to not see a light on dash. With the standard stock seat still installed, turn off airbag warning lights. Then when you take out the stock seat, no light will appear. That is how GT4 club sports do it.
Old 08-25-2016 | 01:23 PM
PhilMorrison
Advanced

How do you turn off airbag warning lights?
Old 08-25-2016 | 01:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PhilMorrison
How do you turn off airbag warning lights?
You don't.
Old 08-25-2016 | 02:09 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure it's possible by wiring in a resistor.

You'd have to get a wiring diagram of the plug (I think it's yellow) that goes to the seat itself.

If you can figure out the resistance between the proper pins, you can make it work.

I did it with an Audi R8 when running a seat for the track. People told me it was not possible, but, it took 10 minutes once I found a wiring diagram. All the car is looking for is a certain resistance typically.
Old 08-25-2016 | 03:00 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Resistor doesn't work with these new generation Porsches.

ipse dixit,
Is this down to a difference b/w 991 and 981? Because for 981 you can for sure get the airbag warning light off, several have done it. Just curious.
Old 08-25-2016 | 03:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage

ipse dixit,
Is this down to a difference b/w 991 and 981? Because for 981 you can for sure get the airbag warning light off, several have done it. Just curious.
Yes, I believe it is.
Old 08-25-2016 | 03:40 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage

ipse dixit,

Hmmmmm - so how does the car know a seat is plugged in vs a resistor?
Old 08-26-2016 | 12:16 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Yes. You need a PIWIS. You code out the comforts seats occupancy and position sensors. You risk having no airbags other than the drivers side steering wheel. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:33 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

All, resurrecting this thread as this has been the closest thread I've seen that has provided some direction with coding in the seats. I have a PIWIS 2 and I'm retrofitting 997 GT2 folding buckets into a 991.1 Turbo. Like many, I have the airbag light on and I wanted to try and code out my 14 ways. I've basically coded in option 388 and 389 "Folding Bucket Seats" and i'm still getting an the airbag light. There's so much misinformation floating around about things, I'm just plain old confused now.

My hail mary is to install the original seats to try and code everything out first before uninstalling them. Has this been confirmed to work? I've read so much over the last week, I can barely discern between opinion or experience.

Old 07-10-2021 | 07:51 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Hasnt anyone try in the 991.2 gen? As far as I know KMP Drivetrain solutions has a package to delete steering wheel for a competition one using a plug and play device, no coding no piwis, which means they use a resistor. I am debating whether a 2.7 ohm (it appeared on another forum) or a 3 ohm should do the trick (I another thread this method was used for a 997). Since I use my car only for track days I may try it in the near future.
Old 07-10-2021 | 08:11 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Please note, when you swap OEM seats to after market option, during a crash, you will loose 3 airbags!! Both driver and passenger window air bags and passenger seat front airbag! If this car is track car only, only minor issue, so long as you have 6pt harness and HANS, but if you drive on roads, now it’s bigger risk, especially for your passenger. I spent months trying to convert my 18 way seats to buckets, realized it only works if you go LWBS seat. I ended up swapping cars, it was actually cheaper and way safer option.

and FYI, do no try to buy European LWBS seats, the passenger seats in Europe DO NOT have passenger bladder sensor, so means front air bag won’t deploy. Many LWBS on eBay for sale, but all from Europe.
Old 07-10-2021 | 08:24 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Please note, when you swap OEM seats to after market option, during a crash, you will loose 3 airbags!! Both driver and passenger window air bags and passenger seat front airbag! If this car is track car only, only minor issue, so long as you have 6pt harness and HANS, but if you drive on roads, now it’s bigger risk, especially for your passenger. I spent months trying to convert my 18 way seats to buckets, realized it only works if you go LWBS seat. I ended up swapping cars, it was actually cheaper and way safer option.

and FYI, do no try to buy European LWBS seats, the passenger seats in Europe DO NOT have passenger bladder sensor, so means front air bag won’t deploy. Many LWBS on eBay for sale, but all from Europe.
fairly good points. I would add that in order to fully convert your street car to a track car you should not only bypass steerring wheel airbarg, but knee, passenger (for sure), both door airbargs, both seat belts airbags, and if you have comfort seats, those airbags as well.

just then if you dont have them already rear roll cage. Front roll cage is advisable, 6 point harnesses and of course as suggested some SNEL approved helmet with hans device posts.

Doing so it seems do not require programing but installing resistors in each airbag terminal and airbags uninstall.

I thing the biggest liability tracking you card is exploding all your airbags along with getting a complete dashboard unusable. All the rest, is part of the game.

Old 07-12-2021 | 11:47 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

a resistor will not have the correct CAN bus label and data

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I'm pretty sure it's possible by wiring in a resistor.

You'd have to get a wiring diagram of the plug (I think it's yellow) that goes to the seat itself.

If you can figure out the resistance between the proper pins, you can make it work.

I did it with an Audi R8 when running a seat for the track. People told me it was not possible, but, it took 10 minutes once I found a wiring diagram. All the car is looking for is a certain resistance typically.
The following users liked this post:
Zecky (05-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Is there a way to trick airbag system when fitting a bucket seat