Sponsored by:

Theoretically- A waiting list

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:19 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Filming in 3 weeks. Ahead of you on that!
When I was in school at UNLV, the best car dealership ad was the towbin car dealership guys. I think it was the son of the owner who was a rapper or something. Never bought a car from them and heard horrible stories, but it was the funniest dealership ads I'd ever seen...
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
When I was in school at UNLV, the best car dealership ad was the towbin car dealership guys. I think it was the son of the owner who was a rapper or something. Never bought a car from them and heard horrible stories, but it was the funniest dealership ads I'd ever seen...
OMG, I used to live in Vegas for a few years and would get a kick out of those Towbin commercials. Remember the blue genie?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

thanks shizzle.

in another 60 days I can release information and will transparently inform rennlist of how I will do it. I have a combination of a radius system for local-ish guys (since I know where everyone lives that wants to be on the list) guys that turn their cars often, guys that buy multiple types of cars (GT4, GT3, cayenne etc)
and highest priority will be sequential/numerical order of deposits placed.

example- if someone lives 20 miles away, and gets new cars all the time, and their wife drives a cayenne and they sign up first, they're first and will stay first. I would inform that guy first since I know I can count on him.

there are plenty of people who solely through rennlist have requested to be on my list or get called and they are on the list strictly in sequential order.

I will also prefer to sell cars to semi-locals (2 hr driving radius) who have been burned by their current store and to keep their business long term we can hand deliver in that type of radius. They will also probably end up doing track days with our store etc.

some people I placed on the list based on factors I use and I know them and would reach out in numerical order /chronological order

some people I will never place on my list in any circumstance due to their antics RE: flipping on eBay. They are already getting cars from someone else and can get them from somewhere else.
Doing dealership sponsored private track days in So Cal and Nor Cal for customers would be awesome as well. Maybe arrive/drive services for those of us who refuse to buy a trailer.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
OMG, I used to live in Vegas for a few years and would get a kick out of those Towbin commercials. Remember the blue genie?
Yes, I do remember him.

He had a bunch of stupid characters. Definitely entertaining.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
CJ, you need some cal-worthington style appearance commercials. DO IT.
cal worthington.... hahah, you are showing your age. i think CJ was in diapers then.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:18 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I keep thinking of La Flama Blanca and Ashley Schaffer!!!

Old 08-05-2016, 12:48 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yessir! I'm old enough to remember

Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
cal worthington.... hahah, you are showing your age. i think CJ was in diapers then.
Lol. Well cj isn't that much younger :-)
Cal grandson does ads now but they suck.

I expect much more from cj! This is the benchmark

Last edited by Spyerx; 08-05-2016 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 368 Likes on 204 Posts

Grew up in Sacramento, I remember Cal commercials well growing up!
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 08-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Good luck on your venture. I have found after owning several businesses that relationships matter most. I keep hearing about return customers but every relationship has to start somewhere.

Honesty and frank communication is often overlooked or just not practiced by some dealers, yet this is a cornerstone of building a business.

If you have a list for big demand cars, the most egalitarian way of doing things would be first come, first served. That is certianly what is implied by having a wait list. If this is not the case then the policy regarding the list should be disclosed.

Playing favorites may generate goodwill among certain customers but it will also alienate other potential customers particularly if this policy is not disclosed. Believe me, people can sense when they are being treated fairly and integrity and fairness in the car business will go a very long way.

As far as skimming a car off the top for your own personal enjoyment, that is a very justifiable perk for owning a dealership. I would expect my dealer to do that. I wouldn't expect my dealer to put other customers ahead of me on the wait list unless he discloses that is how the list will be run. And frankly, if that is the case, I would look for another dealer.

Remember in business, very fruitful relationships often start from the humblest beginnings. Treat people how you would want to be treated and see how your business grows.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:23 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in canada? one day maybe. currently my stores are in Chicago, California, AZ, and my race shop is in texas. I'd like to do something in Vancouver eventually but going all the way to Ontario or Montreal might be a stretch logistically unless I bought an entire group of stores in one area.

I'm young, you never know
Would love to have one of your stores here in the Vancouver area...
Old 08-09-2016, 04:30 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

CJ
I live in NM, and have purchased 3 cars from Brumos at MSRP or Lower (before they sold the dealership). They are (were) very much customer oriented. I was 3rd on the list for my Pumpkin RS. I had met Hurley at the Porsche Driving School and he told me about the Brumos philosophy. There were some very well known Porsche people behind me on the list, and they got their car after I did. That they sold a pumpkin RS to some unknown guy in NM, before the people that arrived after, speaks volumes. I will still go to Brumos first when I am in the market for a car.

Also, Brumos did their driving school where everyone that purchased a new car, got a free day on the track. That is a pretty special benefit.

Regards, Pranqster

Last edited by pranqster; 08-09-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I do remember all the old cal worthington ads. watched too much TV as a kid and only lived 20 miles away...
Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 PM
993TTIL
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is such a fun thread. This is what I would do with 10 allocations...

Car 1-2: Local/Repeat customer who spends $$$$ and is trading in high value car. These customers get to be first on the block and bring you juicy cars to sell in return. MSRP or slight markup

Cars 3-4:C&C crowd. Dealer ordered PTS cars sold at MSRP + heavy markup. You gotta pay to paint...

Cars 5-9: Online lottery where you pick the criteria(locals/enthusiasts/friends) for MSRP or slight markup. If it works for Hamilton tickets it can work for anything.

Car 10: Dealers choice

Time to stop daydreaming about 1. owning a dealership 2. owning a RS and show myself out...
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
I think the way most dealerships in Canada operate seems to be fair. Nothing over MSRP. Mostly local clients. Friendly customer service. Happy to offer help with little issues free of charge. Quick to greet you and offer you a coffee, etc. Honest about where you are with a deposit. Not a large monetary deposit ($1000-5000) but this token keeps customers honest too. I suspect a little bumping happens for VIPs but otherwise first come first served; even VIPs were offered special cars based on a documented and well communicated system (first 918 buyers got highest priority for 911R, and fwiw for PTS on the 911R). Willing to help clients with Exclusive and PTS, even if you're not a VIP. My dealership has offered free events and such to customers to keep us engaged.

(Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding bad, but) I think there is one other interesting dynamic up here, as most Canadian customers are willing to queue up politely without demanding any special treatment. Not that most people in other countries are pushy, but Canadians are notoriously laid back and overly apologetic. So, maybe customers' expectations about getting desirable cars may be a little different??? Therefore maybe our impressions of the dealerships are somewhat better because of this. (Sorry if this sounds offensive to anyone--that wasn't my intent at all )

Anyway, I've heard few complaints about the Canadian dealerships in general.
It's different in the West. Here to get a GT car, you need to trade in a GT car, of course at a discount. No list, no deposits - no trade in, pound sand... Of course, 918 buyers and other VIPs are treated differently. I wish I could just stay in the queue for a few years and get an upgrade at MSRP when the time comes, but that's not how it works in Western Canada, as I was told by two sales reps already.

Quick Reply: Theoretically- A waiting list