8spd PDK-S in 991.2 GT3/RS??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
Agree...if you project the number of gears up, it comes closer and closer to a CVT...and as mentioned already, CVT are no fun...

The appeal of a high rpm NA motor lies in the ability of the driver to rev it through the powerband and the wonderful exotic noises that accompanies it.

Not as efficient as a CVT or a single geared electric motor but infinitely more entertaining
With 8 gears, you'd still rev it through the powerband. Do 7 gears in the PDK seem to be too many for this pleasure? Would you rather have 5?
Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe that's how Porsche will extract more performance out of the next GT3/RS.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I cant imagine a hybrid 911, same as Kate Upton getting a breast reduction
Old 06-30-2016, 12:52 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Maybe that's how Porsche will extract more performance out of the next GT3/RS.
I heard the biggest improvement is in the suspension (maybe they learned something from DSC ). The current cars are so capable that they will most likely be looking to add many small improvements to add up to something measurably faster. There isn't too much low-hanging fruit anymore. Need to work a little harder now.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:04 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by batmanm3
Agree...if you project the number of gears up, it comes closer and closer to a CVT...and as mentioned already, CVT are no fun...

The appeal of a high rpm NA motor lies in the ability of the driver to rev it through the powerband and the wonderful exotic noises that accompanies it.

Not as efficient as a CVT or a single geared electric motor but infinitely more entertaining
My initial response to your post could have been more friendly - just read it again and cringed a little - sorry. I agree with your sentiment here
Old 06-30-2016, 04:03 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I think the next big thing is no transmission at all.
As Grant said, an ICE (especially NA) needs a tranny, but the more gears, the more weight (and/or less beefy/reliable), and the more they'd approach an awful CVT. I personally think 7 is the best compromise, so hope it stays like that. But with F1 cars now with 8, wouldn't doubt that's next. We'll see.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Not an engineer but I'd assume from a performance car standpoint the optimal number of gears maximizes available horsepower within a target speed range offset by limiting factors such as cost, complexity, friction, weight, etc.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:42 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If 8 gears are going to happen then a manual will never emerge. To much work that only a computer can manage effectively. I can certainly see it emerge in the next product line from Porsche. Most manufacturer's are already using 8 gears. My wife's Maserati has an 8 speed transmission.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not heard anything with regards to 8 speed in PDK, yet....BUT they were working hard at lightening PDK for GT .2 cars....hard to think they could make big strides in lower weight with 8 speeds although maybe keeping weight the same would be their definition of a win? CVT might be great on paper for performance and efficiency but the units I have driven in past have been worst experience ever....although admittedly not in a sports car....none the less CVT sucks even more life out of driving experience so no thank you! I'd rather cut holes in floorboards and run Flintstones style at track.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:35 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The advantage of having more gears is not to make them taller than the current ones, it's to make all the gears lower and closer together. As the performance of the PDK improves (shifting time), it makes it more advantageous to have more gears. It allows the motor to spend more time closer to the peak power rpm.

Saying that anything more than 6th gear is unusable only makes sense if you know the ratio of 6th gear (which should change depending on the number of gears)...

I agree that at some number of gears, it makes manual shifting of the PDK pointless (some think we are already there with 7 gears), so Auto mode even on track would be the norm...
Right

you have always the right torque power speed combination
I would buy if any an 8 or 9

Quick Reply: 8spd PDK-S in 991.2 GT3/RS??