991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Article: How to stop Porsche GT Car Speculators

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016 | 09:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Cars.com shows 45 used RS's. Most expensive being Gulf Blue pictured.

Least expensive being:

Last edited by STG; 06-05-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2016 | 10:48 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

As a potential future GT3 buyer, the GT ordering/waitlist process is a big turn off. I understand the exclusivity of the GT3RS and the 911R. But the GT3/4 should be part of Porsche's staple. Outside of new a model launch, any buyer should be able to order a non-PTS GT3 within a reasonable period of time (6 months) without being on a waitlist. After talking with several dealers, my only hope for ordering a GT3 appears to be putting my name on a list with a deposit now, with the hope of ordering a car in 3+ years.
Old 06-05-2016 | 11:43 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
Do you think 991 R are sold out because easy to drive?

easier than a 996 but it s not the reason 991 R were sold out
and GT2 were sitting at the dealer
Which raises the question as to why Porsche is building another GT2.

The 996 Gt2 was an untamable monster and thus earned the moniker "Widow Maker". Very few owners could competently drive the car. Not sure how the 991 GT2 will be any better regarding ease of use. I suppose electronic stability systems will help.
Old 06-05-2016 | 12:01 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by manitou202
As a potential future GT3 buyer, the GT ordering/waitlist process is a big turn off. I understand the exclusivity of the GT3RS and the 911R. But the GT3/4 should be part of Porsche's staple. Outside of new a model launch, any buyer should be able to order a non-PTS GT3 within a reasonable period of time (6 months) without being on a waitlist. After talking with several dealers, my only hope for ordering a GT3 appears to be putting my name on a list with a deposit now, with the hope of ordering a car in 3+ years.

^GO figure I have to wait 6 months
for a small Mercedes SUV GLC/E
Old 06-05-2016 | 12:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

I've always felt that if I can get the car I want, I wouldn't care if they made enough for everyone else. I buy Pcars b/c I enjoy them, not b/c they might hold their value to a certain degree.
Old 06-05-2016 | 12:09 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bronson7
I've always felt that if I can get the car I want, I wouldn't care if they made enough for everyone else. I buy Pcars b/c I enjoy them, not b/c they might hold their value to a certain degree.
exactly how I feel!
Old 06-05-2016 | 12:16 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
Do you think 991 R are sold out because easy to drive?

easier than a 996 but it s not the reason 991 R were sold out
and GT2 were sitting at the dealer
if only 991 they will sell out for the whole world, the 991R is a gift to 918 owners and it is an iconic name, its like when ford makes some kind of mustang shelby thing, and I guarantee you a 991 R is easier to drive than a GT2, full throttle on a cold day was managing wheel slip from acceleration, traction from tire width, tire slip from cold temps, weight imbalance and steering/shifting-I loved it- I think a 991 R is a bit easier, I might be wrong but I dont remember any GT2s "sitting at the dealers" first year sold pretty well by second or third year some flippers got stuck and last year was pretty much just ordered cars If anything the lesson of the GT2 was that flippers gobbled them up and got stuck when the car was too hardcore.
Old 06-05-2016 | 01:55 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Such a great topic and very timely for me since I spent some time talking to Porsche North Houston about these same topics this week.

Secretly, I'm sure Porsche is thrilled that they are on par with Ferrari with these cars and will not change a thing.

The conversation with the Sales person was along the lines of:

Me: Can I order a GT3 today?
Him: No
Me: Can I get on to a list to order in the future?
Him: Bought from us before?
Me: No
Him: Then no I'm afraid
Me: What options do I have today?
Him:I have 3 used GT3s at $8-10k over MSRP

EXACTLY what I heard the only time I ever conversed with a Ferrari dealer

The conversation died soon after that because I lost interest. I'm not a rich man. I can afford to order a low optioned new GT3 with generous financing. But if I'm expected to buy someone else's 2 year old car, I expect to pay less than sticker for a regular production car (RS, GT2, 918, etc is another story).

But that is the market that seems to exist today, so I keep looking at other options that follow a more standard ricing protocol.
Old 06-05-2016 | 05:00 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick
Which raises the question as to why Porsche is building another GT2.

The 996 Gt2 was an untamable monster and thus earned the moniker "Widow Maker". Very few owners could competently drive the car. Not sure how the 991 GT2 will be any better regarding ease of use. I suppose electronic stability systems will help.
The obvious reason is that they are in a sort of arms race fueled by PR, about new and better product but still need to do some staggering in terms of the timing of model cycles. To your highly valid point, some people do buy for bragging rights, sadly. Some even admit it. Self-fulfillment, esteem, and perception come in so many forms. Label a car a "widow maker" and you will raise its value to some even while reducing the production run. One may also bring Darwinism (social and otherwise) into play.

It's fascinating to observe and discuss, less enjoyable to be caught up in when simply wishing to buy a product.

Speculation is a by-product of the observation and analysis. I wonder how many are annoyed by speculation in cars they desire while making money off speculation in other commodities. (Disclosure: I speculate in nothing but thought; I'm not smart enough to make money from it.)

How is the speculation demonstrably harming Porsche? Unless it is, they have no incentive to step in. Moreover, they are not likely thinking in the long term because that seems to be unfashionable in business now, especially for public companies.
Old 06-05-2016 | 05:05 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Don't be so sure about prices. My 5K mile GT3 is for sale and no offers at MSRP, most 15K back. Seems only garage queens get the real $, just like Ferrari.
Old 06-05-2016 | 06:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Don't be so sure about prices. My 5K mile GT3 is for sale and no offers at MSRP, most 15K back. Seems only garage queens get the real $, just like Ferrari.
I agree. When I put my GT3 up for sale (3500miles) all I got were low ball offers and those willing to pay for slightly above MSRP failed to qualify for financing. I ended up selling the car for MSRP and fortunate to do that.

I suggest you contact your dealer and offer to sell it to him. He more than likely will buy it for a reasonable price. He can sell it for a much higher price than by a private seller. Buyers are more inclined to pay more buying from a dealer.
Old 06-05-2016 | 07:21 PM
STG
Race Director

997.1/.2 GT cars. Lower production and bad economic times.

Big time gap until 991.1 GT3

Come 2014: New buyers, cheap interest rates, and great economic times in upper incomes = Frenzy for .1 GT3/GT3RS

With .2 and the "next", Porsche is now on a roll. There will be no more gaps in production. They will keep cranking them out and the market for them will get to more of an equilibrium. Once .2 and "next" come along, the secondary market will value the earlier .1's

In 5yrs or so, we'll be laughing at these posts. The gravy train only will last so long. Everything is a roller coaster and balloons can only inflate so much before popping or letting out air.

More big picture, but you get the point.

http://www.motor1.com/news/63384/ave...record-levels/

Last edited by STG; 06-06-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: An Article: How to stop Porsche GT Car Speculators