Sponsored by:

Ran over a rock.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:26 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks guys. Filing it under **** happens.
Yup, that's what I would do. I've had dings on all my dream cars. I don't care how careful you are or how far away you park - life is unavoidable.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:47 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same thing happen once upon a time. Its definitely worth having a trained eye take a look. I damaged a cover and the cross member. Both were easily replaced and only cost about $1,200. The damaged cover was no big deal - but no one should be driving around with a busted cross member. In any case, a few new parts and northing to worry about. I can still hear the sound of the impact in my head though - terrible feeling.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I had the same thing happen to me about 14 years ago with a brand-new GT 2..I had the car less than 24 hours and hit a rock.Broke every plastic panel under the car and bent up the transmission mount and put a dent in a cooling pipe on the engine.

Did the repairs myself cost me about 1500 bucks. When I hit it my heart stopped all I could see were chunks of plastic flying out from the back of the car. Happened on the way home from the track over hundred miles from home. Yours looks fine you dodged a bulett. Carl
That would have SUCKED. Under the circumstances I think I got really lucky.

Originally Posted by autobahnA8
Had the same thing happen once upon a time. Its definitely worth having a trained eye take a look. I damaged a cover and the cross member. Both were easily replaced and only cost about $1,200. The damaged cover was no big deal - but no one should be driving around with a busted cross member. In any case, a few new parts and northing to worry about. I can still hear the sound of the impact in my head though - terrible feeling.
Thanks. Yeah next time I bring it in for service I will have them take a look. Not going to sweat it. Car drove like a champ after.

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Cringeworthy as it happens. Sorry. From what I see not so bad. If it's not broken. Don't fix it. Got lucky.
Thanks. Under the circumstances this was the best outcome. Any other choice could have resulted in a crash.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hit a rock on mine with the right front tire. Initially thought I got away with no damage but had to replace right front tire due to side wall damage and small nick in the rear wheel.

S**T happens........
Old 05-30-2016, 01:06 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I probably leave it alone. Only thing possible is weld a eye bolt or similar to pushed in piece and pull it out. Body shops do that on dented panels. Mike
Old 05-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I think you will be fine. Could of been real bad and surprised by how little damage

I would just have them give a quick look-see and that is it

Now go out and enjoy her
Old 05-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Rob, the outer metal tub appears to be split, Can you tell what's behind it? You might want to consult with your body shop about the possibility of at least sealing the opening so that moisture from wet roads can't intrude and accumulate. Just a thought....

Quick Reply: Ran over a rock.