Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dundon Motorsports 991 GT3RS on the dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:08 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Patiently waiting for a set for the GT4
Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

You actually have customers who are willing to do an ECU tune? Pretty risky.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the first thing I'll be getting for my RS when it comes, do we have any videos of these flames or crackles? Very excited Great work guys
Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Stupid question: if I would get the headers and tune this would ofcourse affect the warranty, but is the tune traceable, can it be easily switched to stock without the dealer noticing?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Asco
Stupid question: if I would get the headers and tune this would ofcourse affect the warranty, but is the tune traceable, can it be easily switched to stock without the dealer noticing?
Thanks in advance!
Regardless of the tuner package.......here's a statement to consider from one manufacturer (FVD)

"REVERSIBLE – FVD Software is completely reversible for dealer service / diagnostics. We supply you with your TRUE Original OEM Porsche® file as well as the FVD Brombacher Tuned File.

If you are concerned about your manufacturer’s warranty, regardless of what other tuners may or may not tell you, once you flash a car with ANY software file including ours, the manufacturer can tell that the car has been flashed. And that includes if you have the ability to write the car back to stock with the OEM file that ourselves or a tuner gives you.

If you are concerned about your warranty please see our Software Control Module which is undetectable, FVD Part # FVD 991 618 01."
Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Can you also make it spit out flames on demand?
My 94 3.6 turbo, no cats, used to spit out a 2-3 ft flame if I was on full throttle and lifted.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Regardless of the tuner package.......here's a statement to consider from one manufacturer (FVD)

"REVERSIBLE – FVD Software is completely reversible for dealer service / diagnostics. We supply you with your TRUE Original OEM Porsche® file as well as the FVD Brombacher Tuned File.

If you are concerned about your manufacturer’s warranty, regardless of what other tuners may or may not tell you, once you flash a car with ANY software file including ours, the manufacturer can tell that the car has been flashed. And that includes if you have the ability to write the car back to stock with the OEM file that ourselves or a tuner gives you.

If you are concerned about your warranty please see our Software Control Module which is undetectable, FVD Part # FVD 991 618 01."
Newer PIWIS can detect ECU changes in about 2 seconds. Seen it live on the bench at the dealer. If you chip it, realize if you have a motor issue this is probably the only time Porsche won't go to bat for you. You WILL be paying for a new 9A1.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are concerned about your manufacturerÂ’s warranty, regardless of what other tuners may or may not tell you, once you flash a car with ANY software file including ours, the manufacturer can tell that the car has been flashed. And that includes if you have the ability to write the car back to stock with the OEM file that ourselves or a tuner gives you.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Dundon actually uses a new ecu. They copy your ecu and then write there program over it. So you get to keep your stock ecu and install theirs. I do wonder still if Porsche could detect when you reinstall the the stock ecu that it's lacking run time to match the car.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Dundon actually uses a new ecu. They copy your ecu and then write there program over it. So you get to keep your stock ecu and install theirs. I do wonder still if Porsche could detect when you reinstall the the stock ecu that it's lacking run time to match the car.
This.

Sort of the big elephant in the room.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This.

Sort of the big elephant in the room.
Absolutely one hundred percent they can! The original ECU will show a lapse of hours that will immediately put up a flag. Online PIWIS mates a specific ECU "burn" into the original that won't allow consistency in the clone.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
You actually have customers who are willing to do an ECU tune? Pretty risky.
We do, yes there are parts of the world where the warranty from Porsche isn't so long and they don't care about it...

Originally Posted by Asco
Thanks in advance!
Headers are less an issue than the tune, honestly. It comes down to your relationship with the service manager. We have a porsche dealer in arizona that sells our headers.

Any tune is traceable, never claimed it to be otherwise.

"
This is accurate, up to a point. OBDII tuning is detectable as it sets the write counter on the ECU. A bench flash doesn't do this. If they want to see there is a difference than can compare the hex to the software version the car is supposed to have and it will light up.

This is why we wanted our systems to work without a tune. The tune is an option for those that want the most and we've tried to set it up so that it's as innocuous as possible.

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Newer PIWIS can detect ECU changes in about 2 seconds. Seen it live on the bench at the dealer. If you chip it, realize if you have a motor issue this is probably the only time Porsche won't go to bat for you. You WILL be paying for a new 9A1.
Depends on the issue. A tune and headers doesn't effect the oiling/finger follower issue that they know about already. And keep in mind Porsche has to prove that the failure was caused by the modifications...

And many dealerships have done warranty "good will" service on guys with Turbo's pushing 2x factory boost levels. Not saying that your dealer will but it comes down to relationship...

Originally Posted by meaker
The new ECU is a direct copy of the existing ECU, everything is copied including run time. I'll swap mine in a day or two and get some screen shots of runtime data... for both ECU's... I'll verify this is the case still, we checked this on my GT3 swapping it back and forth on the dyno and reading hours. Will get screen shots without PIWIS 2 for everyone to verify...

Also keep in mind cloning the ecu is a different operation than putting a new ECU in the car and marrying it. Installing a new ECU is different than what we're doing...

Just spoke to a 15year porsche master tech and the car will think we just removed and replaced the ecu, so no change in run time would be seen or recorded... I'll get the screen shots to show this.

We're trying to provide a service for those that are interested in getting a little more from their cars. This isn't for everyone and this is exactly the reason our products are designed to produce big gains without a tune...

Last edited by Jamie@dundonmotorsports; 06-02-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Maybe not on demand but when you would let off the gas, checking on that...
Yes, that would be so useful when driving to the track (tailgaters)!
Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

One more time please.......Does the factory ECU learn/adjust/normalize itself back to original performance even after headers/exhaust /intake?

Dyno test made immediately after these mods will show some HP + torque gains, but
in a little driving it learns & you are basically back to where you started except your wallet is a lot lighter. Is this correct?

The aftermarket tune is where the power is my understanding - that's why you provide the tuner with the mods you have and they give the appropriate tune.

↓↓↓↓↓ This was the answer I received when I contacted a reputable tuner about bolt on mods v tune:

In lieu of a tune, what can a Turbo owner expect with bolt ons?

THX

" Honestly very little, The entire point of most engine modifications(exhuast, intercoolers, turbos, etc...) is to increase the mass of air, thus increasing the fuel mass injected. Porsche does such a wonderful job at modeling all of their airflow tables and know the amount of air mass they want going through the motor to obtain a certain power figure in factory form.

Once the actual airflow starts eclipsing that airflow limit, the ecu will compensate by starting to close the throttles. Using the throttle as a means to control air mass, and resulting fuel mass.

This is why as a calibrator it is so vital to have full control over the ecu. Long gone are the days of just needing to find a single ignition timing map, fuel targets, and simple boost control. There are so many redundancies in these ecus now that properly understanding them involves hundreds of hours of reverse engineering and testing."

Last edited by Hothonda; 06-02-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:00 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more time please.......Does the factory ECU learn/adjust/normalize itself back to original performance even after headers/exhaust /intake?

Dyno test made immediately after these mods will show some HP + torque gains, but
in a little driving it learns & you are basically back to where you started except your wallet is a lot lighter. Is this correct?

The aftermarket tune is where the power is is my understanding - that's why you provide the tuner with the mods you have and they give the appropriate tune.

This was the answer I received when I contacted a reputable tuner about bolt on mods v tune:

THX

" Honestly very little, The entire point of most engine modifications(exhuast, intercoolers, turbos, etc...) is to increase the mass of air, thus increasing the fuel mass injected. Porsche does such a wonderful job at modeling all of their airflow tables and know the amount of air mass they want going through the motor to obtain a certain power figure in factory form.

Once the actual airflow starts eclipsing that airflow limit, the ecu will compensate by starting to close the throttles. Using the throttle as a means to control air mass, and resulting fuel mass.

This is why as a calibrator it is so vital to have full control over the ecu. Long gone are the days of just needing to find a single ignition timing map, fuel targets, and simple boost control. There are so many redundancies in these ecus now that properly understanding them involves hundreds of hours of reverse engineering and testing."

This is a good question. There are several RL guys out there now, I assume after a 6 month period of time, they should now go have another dyno done, then compare. Money Matt........paging Money............
Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

The aftermarket tune is where the power is my understanding - that's why you provide the tuner with the mods you have and they give the appropriate tune.

↓↓↓↓↓ This was the answer I received when I contacted a reputable tuner about bolt on mods v tune:

THX

Turbo tuning is different from NA tuning. The calibrator that wrote this is correct to a point. If you physically change the VE (volumetric) efficiency of the engine (more air getting in with less pressure drop and more air able to exit the cylinder on each cycle) you will make more power and the ECU will not be able to undo this.

This is why we see a limit with our headers on the engine, the GT3 made 40whp without a tune, RS made 20whp. The biggest difference was the torque limiters (as your tuner suggested) when you exceed the air flow model the engine will do things to reel it back in. When we put a tune on the car that only massages the torque limiters, we gain 15whp on the GT3 and 20whp on the RS.

A good example of this is our customer with the GT3 in UAE that went to the drags after having the headers on the car for 4 months of consistent driving, races etc... and shaved 0.5sec off his stock times.

So the short answer is no, you're not wasting your money and you will see long term gains without a tune as long as you change the ability of the engine to breathe!

Quick Reply: Dundon Motorsports 991 GT3RS on the dyno!