Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm going in July.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:17 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Two days done. One more to go.

Drove the new 2017 Carrera S in both PDK and manual. Love the car. Easy to drive. Torque is amazing. Great car. I would buy the PDK, no question. The manual gearbox is rubish. Too rubbery. Nothing like the GT4.

Also drove the 2017 Turbo S. Oh. My. God. Wickedly fast. Great fun. I wanted to hate it (I only buy GT cars!), but it left me grinning and wanting more. It was a bit of an effort to tuck it down to the apex here and there, but hey... that torque and rocket-like acceleration!

The school has started doing a brief data session on day two, and we'll get a more in-depth one tomorrow on the final day.

If you haven't been to the school, I highly recommend it!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I just signed up for the regular Masters program today. Going June 22nd/23rd. Can't wait! Track time is always money well spent
Old 05-26-2016, 10:35 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 303 Posts

Pardon my ignorance…

This is at the experience center in Atlanta? Bring me up to speed if you will. How does it differ from the standard driving school?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

No comparison to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. Think of that as an expensive 90 minute test drive. While the Porsche Sport Driving School here in Birmingham Alabama is an actual teaching school, with a minimum of two day - masters plus is three days. Most (if not all) of the instructors here are pro drivers.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Fun to hear your feedback and impressions, Lar.

I'm scheduled for Masters Plus July 13-15 along with a couple of other RL'ers. Can't wait....
Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 93 Posts

Have been debating whether to go Skip Barber route or the Porsche Driving School trifecta - performance - masters - masters plus. How do you feel they compare? I have a GT4 and you can hear my rumblings in another post about how PCA DEs have not really delivered as expected. My goal is to simply enjoy my car in the track.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
Have been debating whether to go Skip Barber route or the Porsche Driving School trifecta - performance - masters - masters plus. How do you feel they compare? I have a GT4 and you can hear my rumblings in another post about how PCA DEs have not really delivered as expected. My goal is to simply enjoy my car in the track.
I haven't done Skip Barber, but I've done the 3 day Russell Racing course and a 3 day Bondurant course before that. Driving open wheel cars is really fun, but the Porsche Sport Driving School is first class; the best run and has the best instructors based on my experience. Plus you will get to drive a variety of different Porsches including the GT4. If you want to get the most from your own Porsche I think the PSDS is the best choice.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:47 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

porsche way better. way better equipment and way better track
Old 05-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
No comparison to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. Think of that as an expensive 90 minute test drive. While the Porsche Sport Driving School here in Birmingham Alabama is an actual teaching school, with a minimum of two day - masters plus is three days. Most (if not all) of the instructors here are pro drivers.
Thank you. That's perfect. There is so little instruction available in here in MN. I was considering the Experience Center option but this sounds more appropriate. I have only 3 track days under my belt. Is there a chance this is above my pay grade? Or is this just what I'm looking for?

Edit: Just went to the site and got the info. Sounds fantastic. Would still appreciate your comment..

Thank You..
Old 05-27-2016, 03:07 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
i am debating the same thing, i leaning towards Skip Barber as, according to the website at least, you need to complete the performance or precision course before you can register for masters. i have no interest in off roading a cayenne so performance is out and there is no availability to complete precision with master in the same week. i have not called yet to see if i can go straight to Masters with some DE track experience.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 PM
ConcreteCowboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosef
I just signed up for the regular Masters program today. Going June 22nd/23rd. Can't wait! Track time is always money well spent
ill be there at that same class then the G force school the day after
Old 05-28-2016, 09:16 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I have not called yet to see if i can go straight to Masters with some DE track experience.
You will not be able to skip into the Masters. Don't take this the wrong way, but this is actually a good thing. They do a fantastic job and, as I have already said, I highly recommend the school.

If you stick with it, and get all the way thru to Masters Plus, you'll be glad you did. There were many in the class who have attended Masters Plus year after year. In fact, there was one gentleman there who's been about 40 times!
Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
You will not be able to skip into the Masters. Don't take this the wrong way, but this is actually a good thing. They do a fantastic job and, as I have already said, I highly recommend the school.

If you stick with it, and get all the way thru to Masters Plus, you'll be glad you did. There were many in the class who have attended Masters Plus year after year. In fact, there was one gentleman there who's been about 40 times!
I have only read positive reviews, and if i could do the one day precision course back to back with the masters i would sign up. i get so little time these days i want to focus on what is most important to me which is to become better driver on the track. I appreciate the advice and i may still end up going thru all stages of the Porsche school.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School - Masters Plus late May