Sponsored by:

The Only Prescription Is More Porsche 911 R

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:45 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Originally Posted by L_perm
I had enough of this car the second I found out Porsche was only making 991 of them, and they were sold before I even knew they existed. 991 rich people getting richer, and Porsche seems eager to make sure they get top dollar when they flip them to collectors who will stick them in their warehouses and wait to sell them again in the future--to someone else who won't drive them.

For the purist what? Driver? Laughable. The purist collector.

Trying to make me want one when I can't have one is simply rude. And, it's not that I can't afford it. It's that I'm not one of the chosen few. I haven't stuffed enough money up someone's a$$ to make it into that club.

Look at this incredible car that represents pure Porsche genius, for those who just plain love to drive. No, you can't have one. Yes, we know most of them will never be driven.

These things exist for marketing purposes only. I'd rather watch a cave man parallel parking a golf cart. Equally as real for all intents and purposes in my "un-chosen" world.
Well said. These will be purist driver cars, huh? Yeah right, they'll be collecting dust as garage/warehouse art pieces. Sad what has happened.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:22 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
A GT3 without a wing!! Just doesn't do it for me. Looks like a kit car.
Respectfully, I think you have that backwards. That and deleting the stripes would do wonders for this car.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 AM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time you get an email from a dealer that has an advertisement for the R
give them a call and tell them you read about the car and would like to order one
today. Everything they say act surprised and than start giving them a hard time about advertising a car you can't buy. I am getting tired of getting the R emailed
to me and not being able to buy one. Love when PCNA tells me how great the car is
but sorry it is sold out. But we still want to show you what you can't have.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

911R is going to be an awesome car. While the GT3 and RS are great they remain road legal track cars and the aero kits honestly can look really out of place on the street. R will give you the performance of RS yet without making you look ridiculous when popping to shops or taking your kid to school. And if you go to the track with it the last thing on your mind will be: "oh my god where is my big bad wing?!"

Oh and some of us who "don't care about this car" never miss an opportunity to kick it. Still in high school? You're driving a Porsche. Time to grow up.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you seen the car in person Wolf? They missed the mark with the style imo - they should have developed a special carbon ducktail at least. It looks very average to me and as someone who has owned 5 991s, I'm like them in all flavors.

But it was very disappointing in the flesh - don't get me wrong I would still buy one to complete the 991 ownership stable, but I disappointed when I saw it.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
911R is going to be an awesome car. While the GT3 and RS are great they remain road legal track cars and the aero kits honestly can look really out of place on the street. R will give you the performance of RS yet without making you look ridiculous when popping to shops or taking your kid to school. And if you go to the track with it the last thing on your mind will be: "oh my god where is my big bad wing?!"

Oh and some of us who "don't care about this car" never miss an opportunity to kick it. Still in high school? You're driving a Porsche. Time to grow up.
+1
Old 05-05-2016, 11:26 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 344 Likes on 210 Posts

What's so disappointing in how the R looks? It's the perfect sleeper 911 if you ask me... For the untrained eyes all 911s look the same,except some come with wings,for the connoisseurs the slight differences are subtle,yet tastefully done without being too much. And yes,I have seen it in person at the NYC auto show. And no,I can't get one. I still think the " wolf hides under its skin ",which makes it the perfect 991 to own.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:34 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know its hard for 99% of the population to see past corporate marketing schemes. But basically, the 911 R is the new upscale Carrera, due to emissions regulations.

Now that Europe and the US are making it impossible to sell naturally aspirated cars like the Carrera, Porsche has to find a way to still profit from the basic combination of manual transmission + NA. BUT, they can't sell too many because it will hurt their fleet average MPG.

The solution? Re-brand the Carrera style as an exclusive ultra-premium vehicle by taking a GT3 and putting a Carrera spoiler on the back. Price it so high on purpose (with a premium engine / name, of course), that you won't actually sell enough to hurt your fuel economy averages.

The 911 R is just the first of many similar things to come. We are going to see an onslaught of $200,000 halo/retro cars from all of the manufactures (Ford, GM, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc.) that combine manual gear box, NA engine and classic styling. Oh, and they will only make a few hundred and price them very high on purpose. Because, they don't actually want to sell very many and hurt their fleet average. Of course, there are enough rich suckers who will spend $200K to basically get the equivalent of a souped up vehicle from the last decade.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd love to have one, wingless and all!
I suspect all this hype is about yet another version of the 991, a 991r for next year. They had what, 15 different 997s?
Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
...Oh and some of us who "don't care about this car" never miss an opportunity to kick it. Still in high school? You're driving a Porsche. Time to grow up.
I have no problem with the car. I'd take one in a second. I'm pissed at Porsche for continuing to stuff this car down my throat when I can't have one. I'm not interested in what it can do because: 1) I can't get one, 2) I'll never see one on the street, and 3) I'll never see one on a track at a race. It might as well be make-believe. And, to suggest that it is for the purists out there, only to go and pick the 991 buyers who have spent the most money with the Porsche is insulting. This is all Porsche showing off, and it is off-putting.

It's too bad some of that brilliant Porsche German design genius didn't make it into the IMS bearing design on the M96. And, which German genius chose to use Elmer's school glue for the coolant connections on my M64? It's the kind of arrogance that is apparent in Porsche's marketing of the 911R that leads to these fiascos. They need to stop pouring millions of dollars into marketing a car that no-one can buy and divert it to making sure the next model doesn't score its cylinders due to under-engineered pistons.

Oh, and I'm 26 years out of high school, and I don't plan on growing up anytime soon. If I grew up, I might start to realize how stupid I am for owning a Porsche.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:09 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

I can see why some are pissed of at Porsche for marketing this car. No need! They are all sold. Job done. Save the money. VW needs them. Today's market is crazy, How many 911R owners buys this car to enjoy it and hold on to it? Let's wait and see, I'm guessing 25%? I'm ok with collectors, that are hoarders of nice cars. Some enjoy looking at them and rarely driving them. Unlike previous years the market is full of luck seekers, wanting to make a quick dollar. I hear this all time. "I'll buy this car and drive it for a year and get my money back." The same thing probably goes for R. Even those that don't want the car but being offered one. "It's a no brainer" just buy it and flip it. We can make a quick profit. There is a guy in the gt4 forum that have taken delivery of 2 gt4s during the last 6 months. One PTS that is now for sale. The first one is already sold. (Which I can understand if he didn't get LWBS) If I was the dealer that delivered those cars that customer would be blacklisted for life.

Edit,

Seller seems to be a dealer. Just checked out his previous posts and he seems to buy and sell a lot of cars.

Hope we will be back to a "healthy" market soon. It's a lot more fun that way.

Last edited by 997rs4.0; 05-06-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:49 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly!
so much marketing for a car which is virtually unavailable.
they are pushing the halo car to a massive audience, who may go checkout a macan or boxster.
foot in the door....something to aspire to, but the worldwide prices for 911's at the moment is madness.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I can see why some are pissed of at Porsche for marketing this car. No need! They are all sold. Job done. Save the money. VW needs them. Today's market is crazy, How many 911R owners buys this car to enjoy it and hold on to it? Let's wait and see, I'm guessing 25%? I'm ok with collectors, that are hoarders of nice cars. Some enjoy looking at them and rarely driving them. Unlike previous years the market is full of luck seekers, wanting to make a quick dollar. I hear this all time. "I'll buy this car and drive it for a year and get my money back." The same thing probably goes for R. Even those that don't want the car but being offered one. "It's a no brainer" just buy it and flip it. We can make a quick profit. There is a guy in the gt4 forum that have taken delivery of 2 gt4s during the last 6 months. One PTS that is now for sale. The first one is already sold. (Which I can understand if he didn't get LWBS) If I was the dealer that delivered those cars that customer would be blacklisted for life.

Edit,

Seller seems to be a dealer. Just checked out his previous posts and he seems to buy and sell a lot of cars.

Hope we will be back to a "healthy" market soon. It's a lot more fun that way.
Do a little home work and you will learn who he is if you have not figured it out yet
Old 05-06-2016, 03:19 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Do a little home work and you will learn who he is if you have not figured it out yet
I doubt he needs any help selling his cars. They are beautiful and I admire his work on the 964s.

But not ok in my book to order cars and flip them for a profit.

I would love to own one of his creations one day but with this kind of behavior I might reconsider.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

I am stunned by how many gear heads lust after this car. Its my understanding the car is NOT a track car, its performance is below the RS and GT3 and it costs more than them. It looks like a run of the mill 911 with stupid strips on it (and people complain about the wings on the RS and GT3).

The R is built from the used parts bin and is limited in production only because of the availability of used parts.

That said, I would buy one if offered only to flip it to unsuspecting Porsche enthusiast.

Quick Reply: The Only Prescription Is More Porsche 911 R