Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOT: sold GT4, what to get instead (Caterham, etc) ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOT: sold GT4, what to get instead (Caterham, etc) ?

I've had the RS for a month or so and I absolutely love it. Literally puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. The way the car leaps forward with every banging gear is surreal not to mention all the mechanical quirks. The only *slight* annoyance is when I lift the car up, a high pitched a la parking sensor sound, appears out of nowhere and doesn't go away unless I drive off gently. Wtf is that?

Anywho, I purchased a GT4 last year and while I immensely enjoyed the car, I want a different, rawer driving experience. Today I test drove a Caterham 360r, a car I've always been curious about and holy motherflippin hell. I've never been more scared for my life and I loved every second of it. It's bare as bones; no abs, esc, power steering. You devour flies and stone chips but you don't really care. I did NOT like the way the pedals were positioned upright; my foot kept slipping off the gas. Now the part that made me fear for my life were the brakes; they are laughably terrible. It might have been because it was a test drive car, I really don't know. Now I really would like the 620r but they don't make it in LHD and I would probably die in less than three minutes. TBH, the 360r seemed plenty fast and errr, intimidating.

The second option would be an Ariel and prefer the looks of that but there isn't a dealer in the UAE and importing one would be a hassle. I really don't want to spend more than $70K.

Now if only I could travel back to 2010 and buy a pristine 996 GT3 that amount, that would be ideal.

The Caterham REALLY got in my mind; is there anything out there that's equally as insane?

Or a Noble M600 (insert tongue licking emoji here)
Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I had a ride in my dad's 2016 Z06. That was totally insane/scary and I was never happier to get out of it! YMMV
Old 03-27-2016, 01:29 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Should have kept the GT4. It's a perfect car.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:52 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

BAC mono!

There is one for sale at motor cars of Georgia. What a car!!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Track only, or street car?

If track only is ok, take a look over on apexspeed and you'll find out about a ton of open wheelers. Others could probably offer more race car forums that are not open-wheel oriented. Once you decide what you like the best though, there are a ton of race-car-for-sale sites for new and used cars.

If you want more options for a street legal car:

You might check out the more extreme Lotus options.
Radicals are great and a few are street legal. They might push the budget, and maintenance would need to be considered (engine refresh interval can be rather short).
The upcoming TVR could be very interesting, but it's not out yet.
A replica Shelby Cobra on a more modern chassis would be a lot of fun. Some of those large V8s have a really great sound.

For more obscure options, here are two out of the USA.
Palatov - http://www.palatov.com/
Race Car Replicas - http://race-car-replicas.com/ Usually they're sold not assembled but he would do that or find you someone who could if it's street legal in your area and you pay the cost of the work. If you really like something custom and specific he would probably build it for you.

The UK probably has a lot more as the cottage car industry is really huge there.

You should decide how much aero and ground clearance you are looking for and if a high maintenance screamer is a great idea or not really what you want this time. Most anything that weighs under 1500 lbs and looks like a legit overall package would be a lot of fun.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Originally Posted by robmypro
I had a ride in my dad's 2016 Z06. That was totally insane/scary and I was never happier to get out of it! YMMV
My brother has a 1000+ hp Hellcat that scares the living heck out of me. Tbh I really don't like the look of the new ZO6.

Originally Posted by silverrules
Should have kept the GT4. It's a perfect car.
It is a perfect car but too refined. Hope I don't regret selling it lol

Originally Posted by sgroer
BAC mono!

There is one for sale at motor cars of Georgia. What a car!!
Oh yes! I love the BAC. Aren't they like super expensive though?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:05 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by aboodchy
Oh yes! I love the BAC. Aren't they like super expensive though?
Yes, you don't stand a chance in hell of getting a Mono for $70k. More like $270k.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Yes, you don't stand a chance in hell of getting a Mono for $70k. More like $270k.
Does one really need two kidneys?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Also, on a different note, how about a Ducati? Not as a replacement, but in addition to something? They're only ~$20k USD here for a nice new superbike with the largest motor.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:13 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Originally Posted by ace37
Also, on a different note, how about a Ducati?
I would love one but a) I don't even know how to ride a regular bike and b) my wife would divorce me
Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Oops. I didn't see the 70k threshold.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:54 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

I've had the RS for a month or so and I absolutely love it. Literally puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. The way the car leaps forward with every banging gear is surreal not to mention all the mechanical quirks. The only *slight* annoyance is when I lift the car up, a high pitched a la parking sensor sound, appears out of nowhere and doesn't go away unless I drive off gently. Wtf is that? Anywho, I purchased a GT4 last year and while I immensely enjoyed the car, I want a different, rawer driving experience. Today I test drove a Caterham 360r, a car I've always been curious about and holy motherflippin hell. I've never been more scared for my life and I loved every second of it. It's bare as bones; no abs, esc, power steering. You devour flies and stone chips but you don't really care. I did NOT like the way the pedals were positioned upright; my foot kept slipping off the gas. Now the part that made me fear for my life were the brakes; they are laughably terrible. It might have been because it was a test drive car, I really don't know. Now I really would like the 620r but they don't make it in LHD and I would probably die in less than three minutes. TBH, the 360r seemed plenty fast and errr, intimidating. The second option would be an Ariel and prefer the looks of that but there isn't a dealer in the UAE and importing one would be a hassle. I really don't want to spend more than $70K. Now if only I could travel back to 2010 and buy a pristine 996 GT3 that amount, that would be ideal. The Caterham REALLY got in my mind; is there anything out there that's equally as insane? Or a Noble M600 (insert tongue licking emoji here)
How much did you sell the GT4? I have a few friends in Riyadh dying to get one. One had a budget of about 350k SR and the other about 380k SR. You have any fellow owners of GT4s that would be interested to sell at those prices? PS the guy with 380k SR budget hates blue but any other color would work for him
Old 03-27-2016, 03:57 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
How much did you sell the GT4? I have a few friends in Riyadh dying to get one. One had a budget of about 350k SR and the other about 380k SR. You have any fellow owners of GT4s that would be interested to sell at those prices? PS the guy with 380k SR budget hates blue but any other color would work for him
345K bro. I'm lucky I got that much, market is pretty grim in Dubai. I'll keep a lookout for one!
Old 03-27-2016, 04:41 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

345K bro. I'm lucky I got that much, market is pretty grim in Dubai. I'll keep a lookout for one!
The guy who does not want blue actually would prefer a Boxster Spyder, so if you know someone holler at me dawg!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:00 PM
fun2k
Racer

345k is about rite for a used gt4.

There is a new yellow gt4 at deals on wheels for AED 380k.
And quite a few available in the used market if you look around for about 350k.

btw I am also looking for a spyder ,would love to do voodoo blue with black rims if i get allocation.

Quick Reply: SOT: sold GT4, what to get instead (Caterham, etc) ?