Sponsored by:

GT3RS Prices going down

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:31 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
2009, people left boats parked around here everywhere. Too expensive to store them and not making payment, left the keys and paperwork in it and left it on the side of the road... Now a proper $250K fishing boat has a 2 year wait time.. Soon half will be parked road side...
Amazing how quick we forget. Lol
Old 03-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Green & Silver
CJ, as a fellow Mazda dealer, as well as Kia & Mitsubishi, look at the loosening of lending in general. The banks have forgotten the lessons they should have learned in 2008!
History does have a sick way of repeating itself.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
More 911 GT cars will be coming, so 991.1 RS price can't stay inflated unless it's truly the last of something special. Besides NA, I don't know what that something special could be, and I expect that the 991.2 GT cars will be better in some ways than the 991.1. So I predict that RS price will drop to around MSRP or below at some point.
This. Porsche has latched on to Lambo style marketing (obviously in much larger quantities) producing a series of limited edition models. They will keep cranking them out. They complement their mass produced vehicles very nicely. The good news is that they are all great cars and it keeps raising the bar for everyone else.

Today I got a quote for an RS with a 150+ premium. Because of a color. Sorry, I just will never get that. I'll buy one at a better price aNd "paint the mother pink' (in the words of John Mellencamp ��
Well probably blue of some sort!

Im pretty sure one cares what the original color of a 62 GTO was...

Oh, and no one would want my CGT because ...you guessed it..it's silver ��
Old 03-10-2016, 02:34 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
So you refute that people can pay 4-6k a month but CAN pay 200-400k straight up?

The bottom line is that these cars ARE selling and even at msrp they are expensive.

I feel like the true bubble is not in the asset themselves but via the long loan style lenders- these guys are basically offering the ability for enthusiasts to get more car than they should responsibly buy or even a la real estate circa 2007...multiple cars on speculation.
Obviously I'm not saying there aren't buyers for the cars just not the straight up average type of lease customer that puts no money down. I agree that easy auto financing is fueling a lot of froth in high end cars. In addition to longer loan terms you also have some people leasing but paying everything up front for the two or three year lease- instead of putting the cash down on a conventional loan. I know a couple of people who have done this.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:54 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,022 Likes on 2,292 Posts

My step dad would tell me...if you can't afford to buy a car for cash then you can't afford the car. So that's how I handle buying cars now. That being said, I can always do a low rate 5-year loan cash-out on any of the cars if I need cash for something.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Martin: What's wrong with Lava? I love it!

I agree. Prices coming down. The R, the .2 the info of 60 more RS being produced.

Was REALLY close to pulling the trigger on a 997.1 or a 99.2RS. But now thinking of 991RS prices come down will it squish the 997.1 and .2RS down?

Maybe just wait until April/June and see what happens.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Obviously I'm not saying there aren't buyers for the cars just not the straight up average type of lease customer that puts no money down. I agree that easy auto financing is fueling a lot of froth in high end cars. In addition to longer loan terms you also have some people leasing but paying everything up front for the two or three year lease- instead of putting the cash down on a conventional loan. I know a couple of people who have done this.
That's a prepaid lease, which often makes sense for an otherwise cash buyer, who is uncertain about long term ownership, because you can avoid some of the taxes upfront. I did it once. Then wound up buying the car at the end, so it was a moot point for me, but its a benefit for a turn in kinda buyer.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Green & Silver
CJ, as a fellow Mazda dealer, as well as Kia & Mitsubishi, look at the loosening of lending in general. The banks have forgotten the lessons they should have learned in 2008!
True to an extent, though it's nothing like it was in the mid 2000's, either in terms of leverage levels, asset values or personal debt burdens. In fact, the opposite is actually true; individuals are still deleveraging and saving too much for the Fed's liking. Also, if you're a Kia and Mitsu dealer, you're dealing with a high percentage of sub prime borrowers from what I understand, so you're seeing the worst of the worst credit situations.

On a related topic, what's hilarious about the whole bank/finance issue overall is how politics have made it a 'damned if you do/damned if you don't' situation for the banks. They simply can't win. In the late 90s/early 2000s, the banks were getting hammered by activists about relaxing their credit standards and lending to lower income people so that everyone could achieve the 'American Dream' of home ownership. Then it all goes to shiiite and all of the sudden it's the banks that are at fault, not the borrowers. Then the market recovers and when things start to look too frothy, the banks start tightening up their credit policies to avoid meltdown V2 and...the Fed gets on them about harming the economy by tightening credit...
Old 03-10-2016, 06:14 PM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RS allocation

Not sure this really affects the downward trend in pricing but I was given an RS allocation at MSRP last week. It seems it was an existing car that either PCNA or PAG was holding in reserve (or someone dropped out??? Speculating) as it is a march build (as I understand it - this of course could chnage). While PAG had to do a "feasibility study" on my build, I was allowed to spec it exactly as I wanted (ex PTS). My dealer (Gaudin) really lobbied for me and made this happen. There are great dealers out there and Gaudin is one. I am a local (some of the year) for Gaudin and buy non GT cars with some frequency all from Gaudin. I know this will be anethma to some but I pay full price on the non GT cars and always give my very lightly used cars back to Gaudin on trade. This is my part of the quid pro quo for Gaudin getting me special cars. They got me all three current GT cars (at MSRP) and I would recommend them to anyone. I know Martin has dealt with them some and has a similar view.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:22 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MS7044
Not sure this really affects the downward trend in pricing but I was given an RS allocation at MSRP last week. It seems it was an existing car that either PCNA or PAG was holding in reserve (or someone dropped out??? Speculating) as it is a march build (as I understand it - this of course could chnage). While PAG had to do a "feasibility study" on my build, I was allowed to spec it exactly as I wanted (ex PTS). My dealer (Gaudin) really lobbied for me and made this happen. There are great dealers out there and Gaudin is one. I am a local (some of the year) for Gaudin and buy non GT cars with some frequency all from Gaudin. I know this will be anethma to some but I pay full price on the non GT cars and always give my very lightly used cars back to Gaudin on trade. This is my part of the quid pro quo for Gaudin getting me special cars. They got me all three current GT cars (at MSRP) and I would recommend them to anyone. I know Martin has dealt with them some and has a similar view.
Congrats, a very fortunate allocation. It's like your the last one onto the lifeboat as the Titantic sinks, Martin still on deck shaking a fist full of money.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:29 PM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you. I feel very lucky and am fortunate to work with a dealer that puts customer relationships ahead of short term one off profit.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:00 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Congrats. Patience in your case has definitely paid off.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Green & Silver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, you were rewarded for a loyal partnership with a good dealer.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:02 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MS7044
Congrats on the allocation, a repeat customer like you deserves to get an RS at MSRP. What color did you order? Paul and Gaudin in general are good folks and I have been using them for my GT4 service needs. I drop by and say hello to Paul whenever I'm in town. I'll never buy non-GT Porsche cars but I've told Paul that I'm happy to trade in my GT cars in exchange for another one. I'm hoping that I'll get an allocation from them for the .2GT cars as I'd love to establish a relationship with them as they are a good dealer.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by consolidated
Congrats, a very fortunate allocation. It's like your the last one onto the lifeboat as the Titantic sinks, Martin still on deck shaking a fist full of money.
My time will come, just have to be patient.

Quick Reply: GT3RS Prices going down