Sponsored by:

Behavior on the street

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default Behavior on the street

The last time I had a car like this (okay, reality check Rob. You've never had a car like this!), my driving behavior was...well...really bad. One ticket alone I got speed contest, exhibition of speed and reckless driving. Even though that was 30 years ago, there was a part of me that was nervous how I would react to this thing.

The good news is age (and too much to lose) has mellowed me considerably. I actually find just cruising this thing to be highly rewarding. It's that attitude where you are the top dog, and have no need to prove it. Basically a slow driving supercar is so much sexier than a WOT supercar everyone is waiting to crash. Of course, the ultimate test will be when a Z06 or FF pulls beside me, but I think age has successfully exorcised the street racing deamons inside of me.

Of course, the track is a great outlet for this, but driving this car on the street does pose temptations. Anyone struggling with their behavior on the street?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

When I was in my early 20's, I got 8 tickets in less than 24 months, had to go to court twice to keep my license. Was paying $2,200 a year for insurance on a $6,000 truck. After going to the DMV to get a copy of my driving record, I counted that I had been pulled over 23 times in 5 years, with 15 tickets. Had an epiphany that day and decided to stop cold turkey. I've had 4 tickets in the 25+ years since and only 1 in the last 10 years. I learned that it really is all in your control to avoid the po po. And if you pick your spots more intelligently, you can still have a little fun on the street and keep your license. I also find that I don't need to be going 9/10ths to have a lot of fun in these cars. And nice, spirited cruise around the limit is just fine.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Going to the track regularly is the best way to avoid the temptations when street driving.

That said, the only tickets I've gotten in the last 20 years, and there were two of them, were both in my truck while pulling my trailer with the race car inside, going to or from the track. I just can't drive 55 when towing. You feel like a moving chicane. That's the worst traffic law we have in CA.

TT
Old 03-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree completely with your comments about mellowing with age and the "top dog" attitude of having little to prove when you're driving a car that's faster than 99% of the other cars on the road. I'm also hyper aware that I'm driving a bright red car with a big wing on the back.

While it's impossible to avoid temptation completely I try to pick my spots carefully. The biggest problem for me is that the car goes so fast so effortlessly and is so much fun, that it's easy to find yourself exceeding the legal limits.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:17 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Bingo
Old 03-07-2016, 05:00 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tracking this beast is the emotional catharsis to behave on the public roads.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With these high performance cars, speeding is no longer just a ticket. You can really get in a lot of trouble with few seconds of fun. I found out the hard way. Try explaining to a judge that going 93 mph in a GT3 is not that dangerous....

BTW, this was at 6 am on Saturday morning on my way to local cars and coffee. I drove 70 mph almost the whole way, just had a very brief "fun" but passed a hidden CHP.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:11 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

valentine one... never leave home without it. i average about 20mph over everywhere i go if traffic permits.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:18 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My problem is break-in period. Will keep you guys posted after break-in.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Its great to here you are enjoying your GT3 experience so much, what a car right?!

Very much looking forward to bringing my turbo and meeting up, soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Ticket Clinic.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
When I was in my early 20's, I got 8 tickets in less than 24 months, had to go to court twice to keep my license. Was paying $2,200 a year for insurance on a $6,000 truck. After going to the DMV to get a copy of my driving record, I counted that I had been pulled over 23 times in 5 years, with 15 tickets. Had an epiphany that day and decided to stop cold turkey. I've had 4 tickets in the 25+ years since and only 1 in the last 10 years. I learned that it really is all in your control to avoid the po po. And if you pick your spots more intelligently, you can still have a little fun on the street and keep your license. I also find that I don't need to be going 9/10ths to have a lot of fun in these cars. And nice, spirited cruise around the limit is just fine.
And I thought I had a rough youth behind the wheel lol.

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Going to the track regularly is the best way to avoid the temptations when street driving.

That said, the only tickets I've gotten in the last 20 years, and there were two of them, were both in my truck while pulling my trailer with the race car inside, going to or from the track. I just can't drive 55 when towing. You feel like a moving chicane. That's the worst traffic law we have in CA.

TT
Unfortunately 55 towing a trailer is pretty typical.

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I've never sped in my life. Only tickets I got I was framed and falsely accused. I am an angel. No temptation either. Slow and steady wins the race.

.........and I'll show myself out
It is getting real deep in here Mr. Brady lol.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree completely with your comments about mellowing with age and the "top dog" attitude of having little to prove when you're driving a car that's faster than 99% of the other cars on the road. I'm also hyper aware that I'm driving a bright red car with a big wing on the back.

While it's impossible to avoid temptation completely I try to pick my spots carefully. The biggest problem for me is that the car goes so fast so effortlessly and is so much fun, that it's easy to find yourself exceeding the legal limits.
Definitely pick your spots. That means never in a populated area as far as I am concerned. And you are right, 3 or 4 secnds on the throttle and it is tow car, go to jail, lose license.

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
With these high performance cars, speeding is no longer just a ticket. You can really get in a lot of trouble with few seconds of fun. I found out the hard way. Try explaining to a judge that going 93 mph in a GT3 is not that dangerous....

BTW, this was at 6 am on Saturday morning on my way to local cars and coffee. I drove 70 mph almost the whole way, just had a very brief "fun" but passed a hidden CHP.
I hear you. That sucks. I basically never get on it for more than 1-2 seconds, never do it in populated areas or freeways, never do it around other cars/people, and pick an isolated stretch with excellent visibility where there are few cars or cops. I doubt I even get it up to 75 before shutting down. I really just love cruising this car.

Originally Posted by R35driver
valentine one... never leave home without it. i average about 20mph over everywhere i go if traffic permits.
Laser hear. Does no good without jammers, which are illegal in CO. Besides, I really don't like speeding in this car. I am in no hurry to get where I am going.

Originally Posted by silverrules
My problem is break-in period. Will keep you guys posted after break-in.
Good luck man. You might need it lol.

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Its great to here you are enjoying your GT3 experience so much, what a car right?!

Very much looking forward to bringing my turbo and meeting up, soon.
The car is completely off the charts awesome. True 10 in my book. Me too! It will be nice to check out that Turbo!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

I live in S. Fl.,cops are cool here, speed limits are sensible, reckless op is 30 mph+ over limit. So doing 99 in a 70 mph is just a 2 point ticket. Also, we have the Ticket Clinic, which for $89.00 get rid of your ticket as long as you have no points, reduced to non moving violation, just pay the fine and court cost!
i get about 2 tickets a year, and have no point
Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Been driving Porsches for 4 years now. About 35,000 miles of driving, most of it around town.

Got pulled over 2x in my 993, warnings.
Got pulled over 1x in my 997 GT3, warning.
Haven't been pulled over in my 991 GT3, luckily.

All of the cars have been driven pretty hard and have had aftermarket exhausts.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Karl911
I live in S. Fl.,cops are cool here, speed limits are sensible, reckless op is 30 mph+ over limit. So doing 99 in a 70 mph is just a 2 point ticket. Also, we have the Ticket Clinic, which for $89.00 get rid of your ticket as long as you have no points, reduced to non moving violation, just pay the fine and court cost!
i get about 2 tickets a year, and have no point
You........bastard.

Quick Reply: Behavior on the street