Sponsored by:

My Turbo vs. GT3 Decision....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Default My Turbo vs. GT3 Decision....

As many of you know, my GT3 arrived this weekend. Yeah, it's a shocker of a car. But it was almost the purchase that wasn't. About 7 months ago I paid my local Porsche dealer a visit, and test drove 2 cars. First, I test drove a 997 GT3. It definitely had the cool factor going, but the car was pretty raw, and there was the issue of the 500lb. clutch. Although I liked the GT3, when I drove the 997.2 Turbo, the power was really intoxicating. I left the dealer convinced that I wanted a Turbo.

This voice in my head kept telling me GT3...GT3. Actually, it wasn't a voice in my head. It was my best mate from Australia (Mal - RL user malmypro) beating it into my head day after day that the GT3 was the one. It was special. If he had his way, the only thing turbo on the car would be personal plates FTURBO.

But I had a problem. The clutch on the GT3 was a non-starter. I love manual trannies, but I have a bad left knee, and I just couldn't go through it.

So my Aussie buddy kept pushing for the GT3, asking me to try to test drive the 991. Of course, I still thought the Turbo was the one. It just had so much more power.

Long story short, he convinced me to swallow the whole hog and get the 991 GT3, promising me that I would not regret it. Of course, he was right! And that power problem? This thing at altitude is a monster.

But it didn't stop there. Once I started looking at GT3's, he pushed me to get a white one. In his words..."German racing colors, mate. It has to be white. With black wheels."

Personally, I thought that combo was over the top, and over done, but now that I am staring at the car my best mate literally pushed me to get, all I have to say is...

Thanks mate! You were right, TWICE. It would have been easy to let me get what I thought I wanted, but you kept at it and now I have an awesome GT3.

When you come over to the States in September, you will have plenty of time behind the wheel, in YOUR car. LOL

Thanks Mal. You are the best mate. Ducks Nuts!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:36 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats bud!

Don't forget to join Rennlist as an official member now!

Now you're IN...!!!!!!!

Enjoy man
Old 02-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 394 Posts

You chose wisely.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob, I read your post with interest. I've read a few things you've written, similarly. One reason your decision and reasoning is interesting to me is that I have back issues that sometimes extend to my left leg. While we have some manual clutch cars - and love them - I am not sure a communicative manual clutch in a 500+bhp car will ever be fully exploitable by me again. I decided this when I got a fair bit of street seat time in a 997.1GT3 a few years ago, in between what became annual spine surgeries. The car was a revelation to me and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I enjoyed it more than any Italian I'd driven with the possible exceptions of the 512BBi and the F430, and it ranked with the McLarens, but the leg issue did feel like it was going to get in the way.

Cut to last year and I was looking for a 997.2 GT3 and initially ignoring the 991 in part because it is not a traditional manual, but then I read what the owners here said, and I drove one. For the moment, at least, it is the best of all worlds. It has the lithe chuckability and hints of rawness I associate with a GT3, but it also has a real world docility that I appreciate. I find the PDK-S technologically fascinating and genuinely engaging. The power is more than I truly need, so a TTS would have been real overkill, and I feel more connected in a GT3. Sounds as if you have found the same. Eventually we will take it out to visit family in Vail. I'm not sure where Evergreen is, but maybe we will have a chance to meet. Your enthusiasm is a thing to be shared.

Last edited by Banango; 02-29-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:30 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

GT3 is plenty powerful to have fun. (this coming from a guy who had a 700hp gtr and sold it to get a 991 3). The car runs a low 11 and can reach 200mph for crying out loud.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:37 AM
malmypro
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are Mates for + I love spending your money.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:59 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Congrats bud!

Don't forget to join Rennlist as an official member now!

Now you're IN...!!!!!!!

Enjoy man
Thanks! Will do!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You chose wisely.
Or...Mal did LOL.

Originally Posted by Banango
Rob, I read your post with interest. I've read a few things you've written, similarly. One reason your decision and reasoning is interesting to me is that I have back issues that sometimes extend to my left leg. While we have some manual clutch cars - and love them - I am not sure a communicative manual clutch in a 500+bhp car will ever be fully exploitable by me again. I decided this when I got a fair bit of street seat time in a 997.1GT3 a few years ago, in between what became annual spine surgeries. The car was a revaluation to me and I could t get it out of my mind. I enjoyed it more than any Italian I'd driven with the possible exceptions of the 512BBi and the F430, and it ranked with the McLarens, but the leg issue did feel like it was going to get in the way.

Cut to last year and I was looking for a 997.2 GT3 and initially ignoring the 991 in part because it is not a traditional manual, but then I read what the owners here said, and I drove one. For the moment, at least, it is the best of all worlds. It has the lithe chuckability and hints of rawness I associate with a GT3, but it also has a real world docility that I appreciate. I find the PDK-S technologically fascinating and genuinely engaging. The power is more than I truly need, so a TTS would have been real overkill, and I feel more connected in a GT3. Sounds as if you have found the same. Eventually we will take it out to visit family in Vail. I'm not sure where Evergreen is, but maybe we will have a chance to meet. Your enthusiasm is a thing to be shared.
I would love to meet up! Evergreen is about 30 miles west of Denver. Ping me a week or two before you come out and we will try and make it happen. Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by R35driver
GT3 is plenty powerful to have fun. (this coming from a guy who had a 700hp gtr and sold it to get a 991 3). The car runs a low 11 and can reach 200mph for crying out loud.
It really is, even after losing 75+ hp at altitude. Thing is crazy fast.

Originally Posted by malmypro
What are Mates for + I love spending your money.
LOL yes you do.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Don't forget to join Rennlist as an official member now!:
Done!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 518 Posts

You made the right choice. I tried a turbo and the thrust was fun but it just didn't have the feel. At 9000 rpms there is no comparison.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan C.
You made the right choice. I tried a turbo and the thrust was fun but it just didn't have the feel. At 9000 rpms there is no comparison.
You are so right, Alan. There really is no comparison.

Quick Reply: My Turbo vs. GT3 Decision....