GT3RS track questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:28 PM
h_gt3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS track questions

Hi all,

I've taken my RS to the track three times so far (just passed the 1000km today )
The car is awesome. Really planted and fast at corners. It has a lot more grip compared to the GT3 at the limit. Today for example I was three second faster on the same track I used to go in my 991 GT3. Mind you I'm a better driver with RS

Anyhow I wanted to get your view on these questions.

1- do you shift manually or keep it in Auto and why? I keep auto on with sport+ because I can focus on my line and not worry about over riving and changing gear at turns.

2- I tried the sport+ off today and I felt much better. Didn't check if I was faster but I got rid of the "jumps" on fast turns which sometimes upset my balance. What do you guys do? Does it impact your speed?

3- whats was the best tire pressure you used? I tried 32psi front and 34psi back today and the car was drifting after few laps. The pressure reached 38psi for rears on monitor. Then I went down by 2 on both and it was fine. It was a hot day.

Feel free to share other "tricks" you use with your toys on the track.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Thanks and congratulations for taking it to the track

What track?

I do manual. In sport + it just revs too high sometimes without the need and in manual I can short shift here and there when needed. Sport + bangs gears harder but raises the limit of SC and TC. So I don't put it in Sport + unless SC slows me down without it (bad driving).

Best pressure for me was 30-32f 32-34R hot.

Found the car better with sway bar full stiff rear middle front.

See the thread RS SETUP NUMBERS
Old 02-27-2016, 03:40 PM
1198r
Pro

Great to hear your views. Many on here more experienced than I but my comments would be:

- I shift manual, sport + and stiffen suspension
- I have not as yet, switched off the nanny buttons - as yet I have not found I needed to as they appear not be too intrusive and my lap times are pretty good.
- if you are using Michelins, I run fronts 32 hot and rears 36 hot

My next mod is brembo type III and V slotted discs, RE10 pads and steel brake lines with AP racing fluid 5.1 - fitting tomorrow! I am also getting the wheel arch linings re-moulded to stop the rubbing!!!!!!

The scalpel just got sharper!
Old 02-27-2016, 03:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Same here suspension stiff, never took nannies off, if they come on, you lost the corner anyway.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Kingfrog3
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I start with 25 psi cold and 32 psi hot
Old 02-28-2016, 05:56 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Same here suspension stiff, never took nannies off, if they come on, you lost the corner anyway.
had the same experience with GT3! Don't see a benefit in Nannies off.
Do not need to pretend "I am a hero"

Peter
Old 02-28-2016, 06:38 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I keep it in manual for same reasons as mentioned above, sometimes you want to short shift and generally like to maintain more control. But apparently a normal driver cannot better the auto shift. The 991RS is also the first car in which I leave electronics on (for now). The car is quite complex with rws and down force, so the extra safety net is nice. I do feel the electronics interfere a bit in slower corners when you want to set the car, I.e. Do a V instead of a U. But overall they are quite amazing.

Agree with the 32/34 pressure recommendations for Cup2, but be very careful with curbs when you go out on cold tyres and the pressures may have dropped well below that. I have seen many cases of ripped tyres because of this, which is unpleasant at high speed.

I have not yet touched the ARB but will also go middle on front and stiff on rear to dial out some understeer. The car does already occasionally snap out under braking, so do wonder if stiff rear will make it tricky. Still lots to try before the cards optimal, but it's already astonishing out of the box.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Tried both manual and auto. I usually start the day in auto and switch to manual as my brain settles in.

I appreciate what you're describing about upshifts just as you enter corner for example. Had it happen a few times. If I'm in auto, I've gotten in the habit of overriding by short-shifting when I expect it - it's quite predictable - to happen. It's a nice compromise.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:31 PM
h_gt3
Advanced

Thanks guys very informative comments. My issue with auto is it gets into higher gear on some long corners. Just before I want to slow down for the next corner. This was very common in PDK+. I tried same corner without PDK+ and it was fine. I also tried manual but I wasn't as fast/focused because I am still trying to get my race lines right. I will try it as I get accustomed to the car. I have all nannies on (can hardly feel them unless am out of the corner). Stiff suspension and 30/32 on cup2s

You guys might like this pic. RS (yours truly) followed by a GT3, Carrera S, and GT4 (which seem to be sliding at the back )
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2016, 03:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I really can't drive in automatic in normal mode.
It kicks down late, doesn't keep gear etc. Like a normal slushbox is programmed.

But in Sport + it goes in batshiit crazy mode. Like it's trying to self distruct.
I'm sure the quick way around the track is in manual once you get the car and track down pat. Do like me and scheat, hire a pro coach ;-)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Do like me and scheat, hire a pro coach ;-)
+1. It's amazing to me how few people take advantage of this learning opportunity. It really is the first thing that should be considered for improving track performance!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:03 PM
h_gt3
Advanced

Hi guys, this happened few times to me during track days. The tire pressure monitor won't recalibrate. I am not able to select the tab that reset the current reading and provide new reading. This happened during two separate track days, and when tires were hot. I get the low pressure tire sign on the dash which I ignore and go driving on the track

Is it the heat or do i have an issue with the monitor?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ The problem is that it wont set below 26PSI cold.
So set tires to summer --> learning, done. But if below 26PSI it wont "take"
If over 26 PSI all OK and set under Circuit mode.

My car is at dealer now to see if PIWIS can reprogram to lower PSI in order to be able to set it in Circuit mode.

PITA.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:20 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Delete

Last edited by RFGGT3; 03-08-2016 at 06:41 PM. Reason: redundant
Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 PM
h_gt3
Advanced

^^ The problem is that it wont set below 26PSI cold.
So set tires to summer --> learning, done. But if below 26PSI it wont "take"
If over 26 PSI all OK and set under Circuit mode.

My car is at dealer now to see if PIWIS can reprogram to lower PSI in order to be able to set it in Circuit mode.

PITA.
Thanks TRAKCAR I checked with the dealer today and I was told that programming won't fix this issue. As you said its related to the tire temperature. Let me know how it goes with yours.

Quick Reply: GT3RS track questions