Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport PDK button

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016 | 12:45 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Default Sport PDK button

Any use in turning this on when driving in manual mode? I know in auto it shifts at a higher RPM when it is on but was wondering if any use of it when driving in manual
Old 02-27-2016 | 01:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Apparently there's no difference but some say they notice a slight difference. I'm still in the camp that I really can't tell. Sorry if my comments are of no use.
Old 02-27-2016 | 01:36 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

I do not.
Old 02-27-2016 | 03:22 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

It doesn't appear to make any noticeable difference to me.
Old 02-27-2016 | 03:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Apparently there's no difference but some say they notice a slight difference. I'm still in the camp that I really can't tell. Sorry if my comments are of no use.
bronson, I think your comments are spot on. From the tech docs I've read, engaging manual mode activates all of the quick shifting features that the PDK Sport button does, so pressing the button when in manual is redundant.

Regardless, like you, I can't detect a difference when pressing the sport button in manual so I don't bother with it.
Old 02-27-2016 | 03:29 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

I can definately feel a difference in manual mode with the sport button pressed. However, I can only feel a difference above 8k rpm. The car surges forward with shifts, which it does not do if in normal mode. It's interesting that others don't feel this. Could it be different software?
Old 02-27-2016 | 03:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm with OCTurbo on that extra little push and bangs gears harder. Like without sport+ better.
I think it raises SC Limits a bit.
Old 02-27-2016 | 04:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I can definately feel a difference in manual mode with the sport button pressed. However, I can only feel a difference above 8k rpm. The car surges forward with shifts, which it does not do if in normal mode. It's interesting that others don't feel this. Could it be different software?
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm with OCTurbo on that extra little push and bangs gears harder. Like without sport+ better.
I think it raises SC Limits a bit.

OCturbo/Peter, I can't explain why we perceive the effects differently. What I do know is what the literature says about the "surge" or "push" you mention, which is part of what Porsche calls "lightning shift", including it's torque enhancement feature.

I've posted this before but maybe the OP hasn't seen it and will find it of interest. Particularly note the bold sections.....

Lightning shift

On the new 911 GT3, gear changes for a manually initiated upshift are accomplished
by way of a “lightning shift” with very short response and shifting times. This function
is initiated using a one-touch switch on the selector lever (M gate) or using the shift
paddles on the steering wheel
. As a result, gear changes on the new 911 GT3 are
approximately 60% faster than on the 911 Carrera models. This is achieved thanks to
maximum performance in filling the clutch-specific hydraulic system and by activating
the overlap function between the closing and opening clutches at precisely the right
time.
The implementation of a lightning shift is the result of years of experience with the
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) in various Porsche models. During this time Porsche
has been able to extensively analyze and precisely evaluate the intervention and
change behavior of the clutch system in many situations and under various conditions.
This has resulted in an enhanced control strategy for the complex clutch system.
By controlling the clutch change in a precise and highly dynamic way, it is possible
to change gears much faster.
In addition, lightning shifts are implemented with a torque enhancement to improve
driving performance
. The dynamic torque enhancement uses the momentum and
rotational energy that is present in the entire drive system during a gear change. In
this process, the rotational energy (mass moment of inertia), which is stored primarily
in the crankshaft, clutch module and gear wheel sets, is decelerated strongly while
changing gear. This causes a brief additional torque boost in the drive system and
allows a further improvement in the acceleration potential. The actual gear change
occurs with high engine speed dynamics and a highly dynamic adaptation of the
engine speed to the newly selected gear. The short synchronization times are in an
order of magnitude that was previously reserved for motor sports.

Then there is this description of the PDK Sport button which also features dynamic torque enhancement. It's primary function, though, is to change shift points and performance in auto mode.

PDK SPORT mode

An even sportier PDK mode is activated by pressing the “PDK SPORT” button in the
center console. In this mode, the PDK has modified shift maps in selector-lever position
"D
which have been adapted to meet the requirements associated with driving
the vehicle on race circuits. As a result of the change in the shifting characteristic
curves, the shift map is moved towards higher engine speeds. This means that the
engaged gear is held longer and the next-higher gear is only selected at higher
engine speeds.
Race circuit tuning does not allow “back-adaptation” of the shift map for a moderately
sporty driving style in PDK SPORT mode. As a result, a higher tractive force potential
is available at all times, without changing gear. If the driver requests maximum acceleration
(full throttle up to the rev limit) in PDK SPORT mode, engine interventions are
prevented during an upshift for a sporty, comfortable gear change. This means that
the engine is operated at full power even during the gear change and as a result, the
dynamic torque enhancement during gear changes is once again noticeably reinforced.

I interpret all of the above to mean that pressing PDK Sport adds nothing to manual mode. But if someone feels a difference in manual with PDK Sport engaged and wants to press the button, no harm done!
Old 02-27-2016 | 04:04 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I keep on trying to say this for the longest time! Over 8k as well, most of the time you won't hear a pop from the exhaust and the car will lurch forward. Ugly feeling if you ask me. That's why I keep it off.
Old 02-27-2016 | 04:20 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

The Sport button remaps the throttle curve so that a smaller amount of pedal movement results in a larger throttle opening. This should be evident whether shifting yourself via paddles or letting the program handle shifting automatically. The engine mounts are supposed to stiffen also, and the actual shifts are supposed to quicken (I.e. 1-2 shift takes X milliseconds less time), but that difference is harder to perceive. If you let the program shift for you, it will stay in a given gear to a higher rpm before shifting.
Old 02-27-2016 | 04:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Need4S
The Sport button remaps the throttle curve so that a smaller amount of pedal movement results in a larger throttle opening..... The engine mounts are supposed to stiffen also, and the actual shifts are supposed to quicken (I.e. 1-2 shift takes X milliseconds less time), but that difference is harder to perceive. If you let the program shift for you, it will stay in a given gear to a higher rpm before shifting.
Those features are true of the more generic Sport button in other Porsche models but are not the same for the sport buttons in the GT3/RS. The default mode for the GT3 is "sport" and therefore there is no change in the throttle curve or pedal movement when PDK Sport is activated; PDK Sport's features are restricted to PDK-S gearbox performance. Also, the dynamic engine mounts in the GT3 respond automatically to the driving situation and aren't affected by the PDK Sport or PASM buttons.
Old 02-27-2016 | 04:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I drove a lot manual normal and sport +. 100% sure it bangs gears higher and you get a little push forward with the shift, it can upset the car more in the corner, but only under a lot of load, so I prefer normal manual.

Throttle is the same.
Never noticed a difference engine mounts.

I think the SC comes on later in sport + can anyone confirm, I read it somewhere...
Old 02-27-2016 | 11:48 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

maybe my buttmeter is too old to perceive any difference, so I do not engage the button while in manual.
Old 02-28-2016 | 09:38 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Just in time
maybe my buttmeter is too old to perceive any difference, so I do not engage the button while in manual.
Just engage it, buttmeter or not. Not that it's gonna hurt anything in manual.
Old 02-28-2016 | 07:18 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Tried PDK "Sport" in manual mode for first time today
BIG difference...
1-2 redline shift has the bang/surge + wheelspin
2-3 redline shift has much bigger bang & push forward
As most have noted, really only noticeable near redline, but low rpm downshifts seem cleaner/crisper to me.
Needless to say, a fun day

Bill

Quick Reply: Sport PDK button