Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS roof

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016 | 10:59 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
And again, the micron shift in center of mass won't even be felt.
Are you sure?
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:26 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

To me it's one of the things that makes the car special even if it's not a huge difference or can be felt. I remember hearing somewhere that back in the 60's some owners received their Ferrari's with alloy bodies and complained that the panels were too easy to damage and too hard/expensive to fix. Now they'd be saying jackpot.

And I don't think this really limits the RS production. How many are for sale right now? They are just being held hostage.
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:43 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

The roof is 1kg lighter than a carbon roof according to AP in this video at the 3 minute mark.

I thought I remembered that number from this video and others during the launch of the car last year. It took me a little bit to find it because Porsche does not talk about the weight savings in their literature online. But I also believe that a carbon roof saves about 1-2kg from an aluminum roof. So net savings from a GT3 roof I would put in the 2-3kg range.
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:56 AM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
And again, the micron shift in center of mass won't even be felt.
^this
Old 02-24-2016 | 12:14 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
The roof is 1kg lighter than a carbon roof according to AP in this video at the 3 minute mark.

I thought I remembered that number from this video and others during the launch of the car last year. It took me a little bit to find it because Porsche does not talk about the weight savings in their literature online. But I also believe that a carbon roof saves about 1-2kg from an aluminum roof. So net savings from a GT3 roof I would put in the 2-3kg range.
If 2-3kg then it makes sense. I am sure the Engineers at Stuttgart have this info in one of their slides.
Old 02-24-2016 | 01:07 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sgroer
seems kind of silly to me... Use the more pedestrian GT3 roof for 1kg. I guess it's all marketing.
BINGO! You broke the code! But it goes along with the RS's "racy fabric door pulls" which Porsche admits save no weight over the GT3's more convenient door handles, and the 6 feet of additional air inlet ducting required to use the Turbo's Racy Rear Fender Intercooler Ducts despite the tortuous multi-turn air path getting air to the Engine. I would bet those longer inlet ducts add far more weight than the roof's exotic metal saves.
Old 02-24-2016 | 01:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
seems kind of silly to me... Use the more pedestrian GT3 roof for 1kg. I guess it's all marketing.
Perhaps, but it's certainly more practical than having, say, a carbon fibre front splitter (like the Cadillac or P1) which would be upwards of 10K just to replace.
Old 02-24-2016 | 09:08 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

I'm wondering how much more it cost's PAG to put the magnesium roof in vs carbon fibre vs aluminum?
Old 02-24-2016 | 09:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
BINGO! You broke the code! But it goes along with the RS's "racy fabric door pulls" which Porsche admits save no weight over the GT3's more convenient door handles, and the 6 feet of additional air inlet ducting required to use the Turbo's Racy Rear Fender Intercooler Ducts despite the tortuous multi-turn air path getting air to the Engine. I would bet those longer inlet ducts add far more weight than the roof's exotic metal saves.
very true
Old 02-24-2016 | 09:47 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

I think it is plain silly. Give everyone a free lithium battery instead.
Old 02-24-2016 | 09:53 PM
andrewordrew
Track Day

Default Because they can

It was tested on the 911 GT3 R hybrid. It's the world's first magnesium outer part in series production. It shows they can push development of new processes, technologies, and supply chains. It saves 30% from the aluminum 991 panel (3.2 kg down to 2.2 kg). It's an estimated 24% lighter than an equivalent CFRP panel. That weight is saved at the top of the car. It's a marketable USP. They did it because they wanted to show that they can and will continue to push for a better, more exciting car.
Old 02-24-2016 | 09:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by andrewordrew
It was tested on the 911 GT3 R hybrid. It's the world's first magnesium outer part in series production. It shows they can push development of new processes, technologies, and supply chains. It saves 30% from the aluminum 991 panel (3.2 kg down to 2.2 kg). It's an estimated 24% lighter than an equivalent CFRP panel. That weight is saved at the top of the car. It's a marketable USP. They did it because they wanted to show that they can and will continue to push for a better, more exciting car.
But at what cost?
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:12 PM
Joe731
Racer

Default nailed it

I bet if they gave buyers a no cost choice between the mag roof and a lithium battery, there would be zero mag roofs.

And if they gave buyers a no cost choice between CLs and 5 studs, there would be a lot of 5 studded Gt3s out there.

And finally, if they buyers a no cost choice between a strap and a real handle on the door, there would be a lot of handles out there.

How many GT3RS's are radio and A/C delete? Very few.

If buyers really wanted a dedicated track car they would buy a Cup.
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:32 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Why such angst about a roof? If it helps them advance adoption of another lightweight material and more cost effective production methods, I'm all for it. The weight savings appears negligible but there is a benefit and many small benefits add up to large ones. It may take a lot of effort today but again who cares? May pay dividends down the road.
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:39 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Maybe the roof is a proto for other parts to be changed to magnesium for further W reduction?

Quick Reply: RS roof