Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So is my RS faster than my GT3 on track, in my hands?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words.

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Sam, Im curious if that was you in an article in the DMN paper featuring the GT3RS? It was about 6 weeks maybe 2 months ago. IIRC it was about the "hype" of the RS and they interviewed a UV owner that tracked regularly.

Not me. I tracked all other cars regularly, I have been very gun shy ever since I knew the cost of the from fender replacement ($15K) but am now all good, so more to come.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Sam what kind of times have you seen on the 1.7 clockwise configuration?
Don't know, yet. Only ran it once in the rain. In my GT3, my one time best was 1:18.99 so looking to be consistently below that, hopefully.

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Thanks Sam for this write up. So have you noticed some of the issues Randy talked about, i.e. power out oversteer and turn in understeer?
With my set up (-2.5 camber F/R, loose front sway bar, mid position rear sway bar and wing in stock position), I note similar issues to the GT3, corner entry oversteer and mid corner understeer. Both in corners of 80+ mph

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Thanks for the write up Sam! I'm surprised that the breaks felt better considering they are identical to GT3, must be the larger contact patch of the tire on the RS then perhaps?
Yes. I should have clarified. The brakes per se are excellent and equivalent on both cars but the contact patch makes better use of them in the RS.

Originally Posted by est8esq
Sam-

I seem to recall you did a great post installing a backup camera on the GT3?

First thing I noticed was that the RS TOO didn't have a back up camera???? At least w/ the wing higher, you can actually see behind you, unlike the GT3 that obscures your vision. But, $200k+ on a brand new car and Porsche STILL doesn't include a backup camera? What the heck?

Are you going to install one on your RS?
Already installed I think it added 0.5 oz so I could have been faster still without it But as you said, rear vision is much better in the RS because of the higher wing.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I will make this post to the point. This applies to MSR Cresson track, from today.

The short answer is yes, significantly so. My absolute best time in the GT3 on PSC2 at a temp of 69 F was 2:20:66 sometime last year. That time was not duplicated and my "normal" best in the GT3 was around 2:21:xx (PSC2 or Trofeo-R) Today's temp was 70 F

The car takes corners a little but noticeably faster than the GT3. While aero might have helped a little, MSR is a relatively slow track so not likely. I think it is because of the wider stance and tires mainly. The car definitely stops better, later braking points consistently. Again, wider tires are likely reason but also probably because the RS only allows -2.5 camber max, versus -3.0 that I had in my GT3. The late braking is probably responsible for 60-70% of the lap time improvement. I also think the midrange torque increase helps a little, it is most apparent after the hairpin turn, which slows you down a lot and then you have to go up hill. That was the only section I noticed the torque increase. It doesn't mean it is not there all the time, it just means it is where my butt dyno registered it.

One final comment on the car's setting. In the GT3, I drove it all the time in the softer setting. On track, the firmer setting made the car slide and hence slower. Others have posted (and I agree) that the RS is more compliant on the road than the GT3. The firm setting in the RS, I think, is very close to the soft setting in the GT3. I was faster in the firm setting in the RS, which should be the case.

Now to my lap time. Mind you I haven't been on track since September and was rusty today plus I gained 20 lbs. since then. Yeah yeah, excuses I know but my point is I can difininitely be even faster by another 0.7-1 second, just need to go back and practice again. I was previously worried about hurting the RS or getting dirt on but it is now officially track broken, after a Radical broke its transmission on track and the oll patch in ricochet sent me offroading

Today's lap time for the 3.1 Mile was an all time best for me at 2:19.71 I'm very excited
Later braking ftw. Congrats on using the car as intended.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Can't wait to see 1.7 times, that's all I have experience with to compare in the .2RS.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam is one of the coolest here...Love the fact he is a track rat and is NOT a WAXER!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I'll put a camera in when I have time.

Are you seeing more rear tire wear compared to front as to opposite on the GT3?

Try the sway bar middle front and stiff rear, it seems to help mitigate outside tire wear. It was also faster for me with suspension stiff - even at Sebring.

I think the faster the track the bigger the delta between GT3 and RS.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:48 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 304 Posts

Rs 4.0 time at Sebring? 2:15?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

The car yes, but the driver failed and could only put a 2:169 together.
Maybe tomorrow, leaving for Sebring soon.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll put a camera in when I have time.

Are you seeing more rear tire wear compared to front as to opposite on the GT3?

Try the sway bar middle front and stiff rear, it seems to help mitigate outside tire wear. It was also faster for me with suspension stiff - even at Sebring.

I think the faster the track the bigger the delta between GT3 and RS.
Too soon for me to see tire wear pattern but I'll keep an eye and if the rear PSC2 wear faster than the fronts, the Trofeo-Rs will not be a viable option for me. I'll play with the sway bars when I get consistent times with the car, soon. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting info, Sam. I don't really trust the press pundits. If you know how to drive, taking the same basic chassis and adding more tire and 25 more horsepower pretty much has to go faster. That said, to me the time increment is not worth the price Delta. I am very glad to see you using the car for work its intended purpose, I suspect you are one of a much smaller percentage of RS owners than the regular GT3 owners
Old 02-01-2016, 02:59 PM
SpeeddemonC2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too soon for me to see tire wear pattern but I'll keep an eye and if the rear PSC2 wear faster than the fronts, the Trofeo-Rs will not be a viable option for me. I'll play with the sway bars when I get consistent times with the car, soon. Thanks for the input.
Do you have a similar comparison of lap times between your GT3 and RS at COTA?

How do you like the Akra Evo Race exhaust?

Last edited by SpeeddemonC2; 02-01-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:33 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice playing with you and the other GT3's on track. I'll try and upload some footage tonight. I was in the white .1 non RS GT3 (aka poverty GT3). I wish I got some lap times but forgot the lap timer. I believe yours was the only GT3 I couldn't keep up with.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 02-01-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
But, $200k+ on a brand new car and Porsche STILL doesn't include a backup camera? What the heck?
Because RS

Already installed I think it added 0.5 oz so I could have been faster still without it But as you said, rear vision is much better in the RS because of the higher wing.
Hoping you mean the one for watching your rooster tails in the rain and not the one for soccer moms.....

Old 02-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

I think we need the same N1 Cup 2 tire on both cars for a proper comparison, since there appears to be a significant difference between the N0 and N1.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
Sam is one of the coolest here...Love the fact he is a track rat and is NOT a WAXER!!!!!!
Love it, so much props for Sam using the car for its intended purpose.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Again, thanks for the kind words. Loving the car.

Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
Do you have a similar comparison of lap times between your GT3 and RS at COTA?

How do you like the Akra Evo Race exhaust?
Unfortunately, my trip to COTA never happened due to a Li Ion battery malfunction (later found to be a minor install issue) so this will have to wait. Ugh. I love the Akra. Perfect balance between behaved and loud. It can be louder by losing the center muffler but from chatting with those on track who had all three mufflers out, drone is an issue.

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Nice playing with you and the other GT3's on track. I'll try and upload some footage tonight. I was in the white .1 non RS GT3 (aka poverty GT3). I wish I got some lap times but forgot the lap timer. I believe yours was the only GT3 I couldn't keep up with.
It was a fun day. Great times

Originally Posted by Nizer
Because RS
Hoping you mean the one for watching your rooster tails in the rain and not the one for soccer moms.....
ummmm, sure, yeah, that. Definitely not soccer mom camera. Are you kidding?

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think we need the same N1 Cup 2 tire on both cars for a proper comparison, since there appears to be a significant difference between the N0 and N1.
That's another point I forgot to mention. I would like for someone to report back to us on that.

Quick Reply: So is my RS faster than my GT3 on track, in my hands?