Sponsored by:

New '16 GT3 & new problem - oil level sender

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New '16 GT3 & new problem - oil level sender

I took delivery of this car Jan 2nd. On my second drive, and with less than 100 miles on the odo, I had a fault warning show up on the dash saying there is a fault in the oil level display. Car is safe to drive. Call repair shop, or something to that effect.

I took the car in today and it turns out that the actual sender unit inside the engine needs to be replaced. I've barely made it through a 1/4 tank of gas and already the motor is being dropped. Turn around time on the repair is supposed to be about a week.

The car is at a highly competent shop. But still, I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts, and/or things to ask about and/or look for to make sure the car gets put back together as if it just left Stuttgart, which in fact it did less than a month ago.

Adding another pic, only cuz every post needs them (not my best iphone photo work for sure)
Old 01-08-2016, 09:35 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It sucks so early......but isolated issue....they fix....you get back in a week.....you then enjoy. GT3s aren't museum pieces so if service department is competent they can replace sender with no issues its fairly straightforward.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Porsche has always built 911s with racing in mind,thus dropping an engine from these cars is a breeze. It's actually easier to drop the engine when doing any major repairs than trying to fiddle around it. So it's really hard to mess that up.
They have to open the engine because they recess these sending units inside the case and somehow get the electrical connector to the outside.
It's frustrating because of the inconvenience of having your brand new car out for a week,but they'll fix it properly.
Unfortunately the reliability of many Porsche parts suppliers is horrible. And Porsche is using " the best parts in the market " supposedly.
It is lame to see so many electrical component failures with all manufacturers. It's the new era of plastic composite electrical junk.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Bud - do not worry. A bunch of us who have 2014s had engines replaced - all good. If you are at a competent shop you will be fine. I know the Master Mechanic at my Dealership can do it blind folded and they also do it to a bunch of the Porsche race cars.

You just have to get it out of your mind that it is being violated. Trust me- been thru it.

Car will still be new again in a week.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:03 PM
jpohill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let them fix it. Pick it up and start driving and your back to smiling
Old 01-08-2016, 10:14 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Thanks guys. I have a couple of other 911's too so I don't have a lot of concern about dropping the motor. Can't tell you how many times the engine has been in and out of my 964. So I imagine even with the extra complexity of the 991's it's probably still pretty routine stuff. I'll quit worrying and go for a drive in my 997. (964 is in the shop too )
Old 01-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

In general how easy is it to drop the motor on these cars? Do you have to discharge / recharge the AC system? Certainly you must have to drain / refill the coolant system. Oil too?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:36 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
In general how easy is it to drop the motor on these cars? Do you have to discharge / recharge the AC system? Certainly you must have to drain / refill the coolant system. Oil too?
I think you can probably unbolt the AC compressor from the engine and support it inside the engine bay. That way you don't have to evacuate the system. But since the dealer has all the tools,like an evacuation machine,it's easy to do it at the push of a button.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:07 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

no biggie

enjoy the car once its fixed
Old 01-09-2016, 07:14 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Agreed.

No big deal.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:50 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't be worried, but ask for an extended warranty/CPO thrown in for your troubles similar to what they did with the '14s.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hang in there. As everyone has said, it will be fine.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tech doing the work on your GT3 is a friend of mine, and I actually used to work there with him 10 years ago. He is a great tech and someone who you should continue to have work on and service your GT3.

Yes engine R/R is not that big of a job, it does take time, but these cars are sortof built this way. The A/C does get drained and refilled as pretty much every porsche from 2007 has the A/C compressor burried to where you can not get all the bolts out easy with the engine fully installed. ...Such as on a 997 GT3 you have to remove engine and remove intake manifold to get the A/C compressor off.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

**** happens, don't worry about it.
I don't think Ive owned a GT3 that didn't get the motor dropped at one point. no biggy.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:27 AM
TideRace
Instructor

Originally Posted by snickers
The Tech doing the work on your GT3 is a friend of mine, and I actually used to work there with him 10 years ago. He is a great tech and someone who you should continue to have work on and service your GT3.

Yes engine R/R is not that big of a job, it does take time, but these cars are sortof built this way. The A/C does get drained and refilled as pretty much every porsche from 2007 has the A/C compressor burried to where you can not get all the bolts out easy with the engine fully installed. ...Such as on a 997 GT3 you have to remove engine and remove intake manifold to get the A/C compressor off.
Hey Snickers - thanks for the info. That's great to know. I'm picking up the car tomorrow and will find out who the tech is and thank him.

I was told today that they've seen another "problem" or at least something uncharacteristic on 991 GT3's. The temp gauge is fluctuating between 176 and 206 instead of remaining fairly steady as they typically see. It's not throwing any CEL's at this point and Porsche is telling them it's not broken unless it triggers a warning. They're feeling bad about putting miles on the car (car had 130 when I took it in, they've added 30) trying to trigger a warning. I told them it's no big deal. I'll drive it as is and bring it back for another service at some point if necessary.

Quick Reply: New '16 GT3 & new problem - oil level sender