Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no GT3 RS for me, why try to sell me things I dont want-venting

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts

If you track, you have 4 cars to choose from; used Porsche, GT4, GT3, RS.
For all other use; pick whatever flavor of the month. And even if you don't track, you can still appreciate the capabilities unique to Porsche.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:08 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The hype aside. Isn't the GT3 a reasonable alternative for those that don't have the funds/connections to secure an RS ? I have been so happy with my GT3 and do not have the slightest desire for an RS. I just don't get all the hype.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

This makes me laugh. Porsche is not Ferrari. Let's just wait for a while and see what happens. If you want RS yesterday the are $300k! Reason is some think Porsche is Ferrari.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a GT3, Id just like another car, as a stockholder in the company I dont understand the lack of production/profit given the price, I dont think there are alot of "poor" folks out there saying I really really want a GT model but I'll settle for a base 911 for now and then someday earn enough to buy the halo car that is unavailable. If you want a GT model, you ant a GT model, either you wait til you have the money or you buy a used one, why would you buy a new but lesser car from them? I can come up with the premium, I just dont want it enough and philosophically dont get why I should pay more than I or they think its worth (I dont need a lecture about capitalism supply/demand I know-just ranting) at this point Id rather pay retail for a speciale, than "overpay" for an RS, but Im not doing either, Im waiting and I may build my own aircooled 911
Old 12-26-2015, 09:32 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

It's human nature to want what we cannot have...

Name:  15-bmw-art-car-1999-v12-lmr-holzer-02_1253x824.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  269.8 KB
Old 12-26-2015, 10:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

i had never heard of "Supreme" brand.. i must be really out of the loop.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:23 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,185 Posts

You aren't the only one who's frustrated, more about the stealer games/BS and lack of transparency of supply than anything else. I'm even willing to pay over MSRP, just not $300k+. That being said, the guys who have bought several/dozens of cars from their dealers should be the first ones to get their cars. For me, I have ZERO interest in anything other than GT cars and will NEVER buy a Macan, Cayenne, Turbo, regular 911, or regular cayman so it's kind of pointless for me to try to establish any kind of meaningful relationship with a dealer. I guess I'm one of those picky pain in the *** buyers from the dealer perspective. In a way, the people that have bought all those other GT cars have basically paid the depreciation premium to get their GT cars at MSRP.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,016 Likes on 4,868 Posts

Don't understand.

The RS is available for sale.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:35 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This makes me laugh. Porsche is not Ferrari. Let's just wait for a while and see what happens. If you want RS yesterday the are $300k! Reason is some think Porsche is Ferrari.
while you laugh, others make money

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...p-classic-cars
Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by superquant
while you laugh, others make money http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...p-classic-cars
Yep, I'll be happy to eat my hat. If Porsche becomes Ferrari, I'm out. Then I'll buy tesla/Prius.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:41 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Well explained

OP what is your history of ownership? you can't really expect to roll up on the latest and greatest and get what you want because you have a bit of money in the bank. plenty of others like that in the world and not enough supply. the exclusivity is literally party of the selling proposition.

Originally Posted by Banango
OP, what follows is not advice, it is idle commentary based on personal observation of luxury commerce.

Producing one fewer car than there are buyers for it does work; the tough part is getting people to want the car in both the primary and secondary markets. Getting people on the ladder with pedestrian models in the hope of having some climb towards limited editions while profiting from them immediately does work. It's an entirely aspirational business model, and for each one you lose through disgust there are at least three others willing to take the bait, especially if the product is genuinely good and the brand delivers on its promises.

Much depends on getting dealer attention, and it is hard for people to advise about specific dealers without knowing where you are. I have only a single experience of Porsche dealers, but significant experience with those of some competing and complementary or analogous brands. From what I have seen, manufacturers and even importers will rarely get involved except with customers known to be special: friends of the brand, celebs of the desirable sort, squeaky wheels with media connections, etc.

Allocations on interesting cars are intentionally limited, especially for dealers outside major urban areas. Most allocations (for the brands with which I am familiar) go to those dealers in the biggest markets, usually FL, TX, Metro-NY, Chicagoland, and CA. Allocations for truly interesting cars will go first to those people buying from and servicing multiple purchases with the dealership. If you own 5+ Iso Griffos and buy one per year, you will be the Iso Griffo dealer's early choice for the latest, greatest, and rarest...especially if you show the cars off, make the dealer sound good, and are available to help their business. If you have been after a Griffo Speziale and you get offered one for the first time, take it, even if someone else specced it and then refused delivery. Scratch their backs or your itch will be ignored.

This is first and foremost a business and selling a single car at MSRP is rarely the goal. With things like Speziales, only through a really major miscalculation will they make more of them than they can sell. Don't be wholly surprised if it is broadly hinted you should buy one of those OSCAs they are having a hard time moving in order to get you on the Speziale list. Don't underestimate the value of buying a CPO you know is well over original MSRP as a show of future good faith. Similarly, it is often clear that if you outright buy that super limited edition seven figure halo Bizzarini from them, they likely can get you that Speziale allocation immediately as well. Above all, buy from THEM, not brokers, private sellers, etc.

In other words, you climb a ladder. You don't usually begin on a high rung. The simplest way on is to buy something you want and will enjoy, and then either buy more of them regularly or trade them in for newer models regularly (or both) with a longer term plan of being considered for the rarer stuff as it comes out. Or walk in with a cash offer on that halo car they want sold out fast.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:43 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Yep, I'll be happy to eat my hat. If Porsche becomes Ferrari, I'm out. Then I'll buy tesla/Prius.
why does porsche need to become ferrari? porsche is porsche and as the results show it is working out just fine.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:11 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by superquant
why does porsche need to become ferrari? porsche is porsche and as the results show it is working out just fine.
What I mean is,

RS has always been the ultimate drivers car. Never had anything to do with collectibility. Porsche has always made enough to cover demand for the people crazy enough to torture them self with a street legal race car.

997 changed this, a bit more street friendly. And available in the US probably helped build he hype.

991rs is a lot more street friendly. Way bigger market. PDKS, etc, If I know Porsche? I expect to see 2017 991.1rs. Similar to 991gt3. 2014-2016. Who would have guessed that? But, my Chrystal ball is no better than yours. Let's just wait and see . Cars are still rolling of the production line. If they are $300k by end of production I'll have to eat my hat.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:32 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman32
For 1 buyer Porsche lose by limiting production they may get 4 or 5 new buyers want the car. The fewer they make the more demand on the car. More they make less demand. If they make the rs like turbo s number I would not brought it
Then you are buying the cars for the wrong reason. Your comment makes me think that you don't truly understand or appreciate the history of the company dating back to the early years and it's racing history. I'm not saying you don't appreciate the cars, but to many of us, part of the allure to the cars beyond performance numbers, is the history of the company. Though they've never been inexpensive, they've always been the supercar that was attainable, infact, they even built their racing history upon this premise and sold to customers that competed directly and often even outpaced Factory efforts. So for the person just looking for exclusivity (some would call it snobbery), then sure, they're doing a good job attracting that crowd, but that's not the demographic who made Porsche's history into what it is today and it's also the crowd least likely to actually go out and enjoy the car regularly and use it for it's intents and purposes.

RS has always been the ultimate drivers car. Never had anything to do with collectibility. Porsche has always made enough to cover demand for the people crazy enough to torture them self with a street legal race car.
EXACTLY
Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,282 Likes on 2,749 Posts

In all fairness, the Porsche of today has a much broader audience than it ever did. I honestly question their ability to fully meet demand for the RS on top of producing GT3s in addition to literally 20 variants of the 991. How much of the RS is bespoke and hand built? There may be true production constraints to consider.

The rest of the story is market demand and dealers taking advantage. That's a separate issue from the supply side.

Quick Reply: Why no GT3 RS for me, why try to sell me things I dont want-venting