Sponsored by:

Put the GT3 away for the season

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:21 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Put the GT3 away for the season

Sad to say but had perfect weather today with lots of sun & 65 degrees. Took the opportunity got her washed & cleaned up for the winter. Would love to have some more time to drive it this season.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, just 1001 miles. You haven't even broken her in.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:53 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Wow, just 1001 miles. You haven't even broken her in.
Seriously, I have 3x the miles just from Euro Delivery! My car isn't even back in the USA yet.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3500 miles on my car already which I received in end of May. Plus I only drive it on weekends.
Rack up the miles baby
Old 11-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I will be putting mine away, as well, within the next 3 weeks
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Wow....I love November weather in New England....the engines love the cold air!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:25 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Wow....I love November weather in New England....the engines love the cold air!
IMO, Best time of the year to drive on the street is Nov and Dec. Cold air, empty roads - a lot of enjoyment for the small charge of winter rubber, much cheaper than depreciation and insurance and opens up your car for at least 2 more months. More if it is a dry winter.

I do 3 to 5x the miles in those months than a typical summer month.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:41 AM
bryant1609
AutoX

Originally Posted by NateOZ
IMO, Best time of the year to drive on the street is Nov and Dec. Cold air, empty roads - a lot of enjoyment for the small charge of winter rubber, much cheaper than depreciation and insurance and opens up your car for at least 2 more months. More if it is a dry winter.

I do 3 to 5x the miles in those months than a typical summer month.
I would have to agree with you here, I'm not thinking about putting mine away until the first sign of snow. That's because I then have to move the car to the back of the garage to fit the snow blower in front of it.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:28 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Being in the south, I struggle with this "putting away " you northern guys deal with. I get the fact that the weather will get too bad to want to drive it or be able to but it seems kinda early. Would there not be some nice days to bring it back out?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:40 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Being in the south, I struggle with this "putting away " you northern guys deal with. I get the fact that the weather will get too bad to want to drive it or be able to but it seems kinda early. Would there not be some nice days to bring it back out?
Like the rest of the days this week!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Four issues (in descending order of priority), imo:

1) Tires for the cold. Easily rectified with money and storage space.
2) Salt. Once it snows/ices and the salt trucks come out, then I can see keeping the GT3 off the road.
3) Potholes. Winter makes potholes and they can be nasty.
4) Crap on roads. Winter brings out the aforementioned salt, but also sand, grit and other crap that gets on the roads where you might want things cleared off a bit before one risks their car getting hit.

Otherwise, drive!

This said, I've personally driven a 911 all four seasons as a daily driver and it was awesome. I drive my Cayenne all year. The wife is debating winter tires for her GT3... My 1.3 will probably be parked once it gets too cold (#1) because I won't have tires for it and salt (#2) because I don't want to deal with it.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:06 AM
PPP
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Porsche oem 991 GT3 Winter wheels set with Michelin winters available. They have max 2000kms. Nice riding, quieter set up. Currently in storage at Porsche centre. As new condition. CAD 6500 or USD 4500 plus shipping. Reason for sale is because GT3 is being traded for GT3RS.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:40 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Four issues (in descending order of priority), imo:

1) Tires for the cold. Easily rectified with money and storage space.
2) Salt. Once it snows/ices and the salt trucks come out, then I can see keeping the GT3 off the road.
3) Potholes. Winter makes potholes and they can be nasty.
4) Crap on roads. Winter brings out the aforementioned salt, but also sand, grit and other crap that gets on the roads where you might want things cleared off a bit before one risks their car getting hit.

Otherwise, drive!

This said, I've personally driven a 911 all four seasons as a daily driver and it was awesome. I drive my Cayenne all year. The wife is debating winter tires for her GT3... My 1.3 will probably be parked once it gets too cold (#1) because I won't have tires for it and salt (#2) because I don't want to deal with it.
I totally understand those 4 reasons. Hell I barely take my car out in the rain. Mainly cause I'm too lazy to wash it and hate having a dirty car. But if I was up north I wouldn't put the car up until the conditions get too bad. And even then if I had a warmer and dry day I might still sneak it out for a quick drive around.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:04 PM
phz2gt3
6th Gear

those LWB are so awesome
Old 11-02-2015, 05:23 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I totally understand those 4 reasons. Hell I barely take my car out in the rain. Mainly cause I'm too lazy to wash it and hate having a dirty car. But if I was up north I wouldn't put the car up until the conditions get too bad. And even then if I had a warmer and dry day I might still sneak it out for a quick drive around.
Those days after the snow has fallen are the best driving days, I go out at 6am on those days and just enjoy. The car seems to love it, washing really isn't that bad - I just use autofiness avalanche and a pressure washer, rinse it and put it away.

I'm still debating if I will get a winter set for my RS as I'll have a winter set on my Targa GTS when it arrives, but will probably end up doing it. It sitting in the garage for 3 months when I have the most time to drive just argues that I should sell it...

Quick Reply: Put the GT3 away for the season