Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to this forum and potential 991 GT3 buyer!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 AM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts
Default New to this forum and potential 991 GT3 buyer!

Hi,
I am new to this forum and plan to buy the 991 GT3 if I can get one else will settle for 991.2 GT3. Made the deposit with the dealer few months back!
Currently, I own a 2011 E92 M3 which after owning for 5 years and putting 17k miles (I know I know .. She was pampered too much), I feel like I should move on to something better (NA high rev engine and more ponies). Been loyal to bimmers for a decade. Time to experience P cars for precision!
991 GT3 seems to be the one that will help quench my thirst for more power from a NA high rev engine.
After experiencing the 8400 rpm redline can't imagine what a 9000 rpm redline would feel like 😊!
My dealer is asking me the configuration and can't make up my mind what I should get and what I shouldn't.
Could you guys please help me determine which are the MUST options I should go for?
Appreciate everyone's help in this case!
Thanks
Mclarenmaniac
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Imo, there are no "must have's" on this car! That's what makes it special.

Then it's a matter of personal tastes and prefs. Front axle lift, lwb's, leather, etc. you're going to be a happy camper anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned 6 ///M cars and love them, but a Porsche is just something different. I never owned a E92 M3, but I know it's an awesome car. However, nothing can come close to the experience of the GT3. I have never enjoyed and appreciated a car this much. However, even though many got butthurt when I made this statement in prior posts, it's a waste to own one if you never plan on tracking it at least once. Buy a C2S. You will never really know, revere, and utilize the engineering of this car until you experience it on a track. I owned the C2S and it was an excellent car, but the GT3 is in a class of it's own.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac
Hi, I am new to this forum and plan to buy the 991 GT3 if I can get one else will settle for 991.2 GT3. Made the deposit with the dealer few months back! Currently, I own a 2011 E92 M3 which after owning for 5 years and putting 17k miles (I know I know .. She was pampered too much), I feel like I should move on to something better (NA high rev engine and more ponies). Been loyal to bimmers for a decade. Time to experience P cars for precision! 991 GT3 seems to be the one that will help quench my thirst for more power from a NA high rev engine. After experiencing the 8400 rpm redline can't imagine what a 9000 rpm redline would feel like dde0a! My dealer is asking me the configuration and can't make up my mind what I should get and what I shouldn't. Could you guys please help me determine which are the MUST options I should go for? Appreciate everyone's help in this case! Thanks Mclarenmaniac
Do it. I came from the same situation. E36 M3 coupe and sedan and E46 M3 CS and an E92 M3. They are awesome cars all of them. But at the end of day they are sports cars in sedan bodies. GT3's feel like a true GT car, *** on the ground, steering feel is improved by a mile etc. it gets in your soul. Spend a day or two just reading posts on this forum you'll get the options things handled..
Old 10-24-2015, 11:21 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Do it. I came from the same situation. E36 M3 coupe and sedan and E46 M3 CS and an E92 M3. They are awesome cars all of them. But at the end of day they are sports cars in sedan bodies. GT3's feel like a true GT car, *** on the ground, steering feel is improved by a mile etc. it gets in your soul. Spend a day or two just reading posts on this forum you'll get the options things handled..
That's what happens when you have over 5 decades to perfect your car (talking about Porsche).
Old 10-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

You do not need to track this car to really enjoy it. Yes, on the track you will be able to exploit it's true potential but heck I hit 8000-9000 rpm where space permits and it is a blast. But, most importantly, is the true rawness of this car. Over-engineered?; you would never feel it but it is a masterpiece in engine and chassis development
Old 10-24-2015, 01:23 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see why he is asking for a configuration now unless the dealer has an allocation for a 2016 GT3. Check with the dealer and if this is the case, do a configuration immediately. Lock dates have been getting pushed up.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:31 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you ultimately need to decide for yourself what are must haves as others have mentioned, lots of 50/50 opinions on lift system, LWBs (these are must have for me) vs sofas, and PCCB's, ....a couple zero cost options are no brainers like PCM, smoking package (you don't need to smoke), extended range fuel tank, floor mats. I personally think the "leather interior pkg", "extended leather" and "steering column casing in leather" is good money value for what you get but of course not necessary especially if you mostly use for track only. I can also tell you what not to waste money on...somehow I missed it when I configured mine and got instrument surround in leather and it is epic fail and complete waste (you need magnifying glass to see any leather), many complain about light design pkg and mine has it....I would complain but have no idea what it is or where the lights are or aren't if you don't get it ha ha, sports chrono is not horrible but not great either so if I were to start over it would be gone...better performing track apps out there, I have sound pkg plus but never listen to radio at all so it's a waste for me but others can chime in (many say even SPP sucks if you listen to music a lot). The rest is just how much you want to run up the $$$ tab and there is a point of diminishing value for cost of options. Hope this helps a bit and as usual disclosure this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited by sccchiii; 10-24-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I think you ultimately need to decide for yourself what are must haves as others have mentioned, lots of 50/50 opinions on lift system, LWBs (these are must have for me) vs sofas, and PCCB's, ....a couple zero cost options are no brainers like PCM, smoking package (you don't need to smoke), extended range fuel tank, floor mats. I personally think the "leather interior pkg", "extended leather" and "steering column casing in leather" is good money value for what you get but of course not necessary especially if you mostly use for track only. I can also tell you what not to waste money on...somehow I missed it when I configured mine and got instrument surround in leather and it is epic fail and complete waste (you need magnifying glass to see any leather), many complain about light design pkg and mine has it....I would complain but have no idea what it is or where the lights are or aren't if you don't get it ha ha, sports chrono is not horrible but not great either so if I were to start over it would be gone...better performing track apps out there, I have sound pkg plus but never listen to radio at all so it's a waste for me but others can chime in (many say even SPP sucks if you listen to music a lot). The rest is just how much you want to run up the $$$ tab and there is a point of diminishing value for cost of options. Hope this helps a bit and as usual disclosure this is just my 2 cents.
All fair points. Regarding SPP, the only caveat is that if you wanted the "free" PCM/NAV package you had to order sound package plus. Maybe this will change by the time the 991.2 GT3 is available.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:12 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
All fair points. Regarding SPP, the only caveat is that if you wanted the "free" PCM/NAV package you had to order sound package plus. Maybe this will change by the time the 991.2 GT3 is available.
Thanks Mike....my bad it's been so long I forgot to mention it really isn't a no cost addition
Old 10-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

On a side note, I got the sound package plus. I don't know what the standard radio sounds like, but 95% of the time I'm listening to the best sound system the car has to offer, it's engine.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:01 PM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in!
At a high level I am thinking leather seats with red stitching, front axle lift, navigation, heated seats, adaptive sport seats (18 way), black led headlights PDLS which is bringing the price point to 150k before sales tax!
It's a big jump from my 75k M3. My another dilemma is to whether keep my low miles M3 or trade/sell. If I do decide to keep her against my wife's wish, then the only way I can keep both M and P car is by installing a bendpak lift in my 2 car garage as wife's Mini Countryman also needs garage space
Too many things to consider...it's always been easier for me to make non cars related decisions in life quickly
Thoughts ??
Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Everyone's different. I have a 2012 E92 M3 and serves as my DD -- I would KEEP this, as you will not want to DD your GT3. Plus, the normally aspirated V8 is special.

On to the GT3: I agonized/enjoyed the build process and don't regret any of my choices:

Of all the "must" options, the lift is THE one, unless you like replacing front spoilers.

Other options:
1. Ceramics
2. Extended dash leather
3. LEDs
4. Silver wheels (they pop)
5. LWBs. LOVE them
6. Carbon fiber
7. Sound plus

I'm sure I'm missing something but these are the ones that I enjoy the most. The clock looks nice but would pocket the $1,800 if I had to do it over again.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:55 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
4. Silver wheels (they pop)
Seen them. They look spectacular in their silver. I just wouldn't combine them with a silver car.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 PM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by squid42
Seen them. They look spectacular in their silver. I just wouldn't combine them with a silver car.
Haven't seen many Gt3s with silver wheels. Thought black and silver wheels are not that popular ?

Quick Reply: New to this forum and potential 991 GT3 buyer!