Viper ACR Extreme Aero

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How exciting!

Originally Posted by allans
Go to woodhouse motorsports division on facebook. There are several there. Mine is the Blue one. Best, Allan
I've placed a few posts on other Viper threads, but haven't had much luck getting any feedback w/ anyone yet who has actually driven the car, let alone tracked it? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Been FANATICAL about the GT3 through every recall, limp mode failure, reduced performance and dealer antics. Yet, the GT3 for track use has been bar none, the best car I've ever driven. This Viper gives me serious pause and actually a few butterflies, just thinking about it. Keep hearing it's "raw." I believe it.

Might be sacrilege to compare a GT3 (RS or not) against the ACR, but it's going to be tough not to?
Old 10-18-2015, 09:19 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
I've placed a few posts on other Viper threads, but haven't had much luck getting any feedback w/ anyone yet who has actually driven the car, let alone tracked it? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Been FANATICAL about the GT3 through every recall, limp mode failure, reduced performance and dealer antics. Yet, the GT3 for track use has been bar none, the best car I've ever driven. This Viper gives me serious pause and actually a few butterflies, just thinking about it. Keep hearing it's "raw." I believe it.

Might be sacrilege to compare a GT3 (RS or not) against the ACR, but it's going to be tough not to?
I too would like to know more about how the car handles track duty (i.e. consumables, overheating, brake fade, aftermarket items needed to adjust alignment like with the GT4, etc) before I hit the "send" button at the bank. In the proper hands, this car can keep up with cup cars.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:39 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

est8esq, I think your best starting point maybe some of the youtube videos done at the launch, particularly the one done by Andy Lally. Of all the cars I know, it is the most exciting, capable, and hard edged "Track Focused" production car made today. And, with equivalent drivers it can run with anything. You HAVE to get some time in it in order to push hard. also, it is not very comfortable. If Porsche made a car like this it would "slot" between a Cup Car and a 997 GT3RS for the price of a 991 Carrera. Hope this helps. Allan
Old 10-18-2015, 09:48 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I too would like to know more about how the car handles track duty (i.e. consumables, overheating, brake fade, aftermarket items needed to adjust alignment like with the GT4, etc) before I hit the "send" button at the bank. In the proper hands, this car can keep up with cup cars.
John, Consumables except tire are about 50% of Porsche prices. The Tires specced on the ACR Extreme are around $1500 a set and IN STOCK at Tire Rack. Lastly,
ACRs are fast, but stock, will NOT run with a current Cup Car.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Allan,

My ACR EXTREME twin of yours will ship on Tue--can't wait. I've already signed up for 4 track days at Road Atlanta with it in Nov.

When I gave up waiting for my 14 GT3 I bought a 2010 ACR and I've never looked back. I then cancelled my #2 position RS deposit and also bought a '15 ZO7--I was able enjoy both cars for the price of a GT3RS. The 2010 ACR was about 4 sec faster than my 2011 GT3RS in my hands at Road Atlanta. The ZO7 is 2 sec faster than the 991 GT3 at RA (same driver--3 runs (5 laps) in each back to back--but the ZO7 has heat soak/timing issues in ambient temps over 85 deg. The ACR is not as livable as a GT3/RS on the street--but I have other cars for that!

The consumables on the ACR are indeed 50% less than the Porsche

I believe the ACR is a great alternative for anyone having issues obtaining an RS or who doesn't want to risk balling up a $200K+ car at the track.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Can you put a rollbar bar along with 6pt harness belts in the ACR or are race seats required?
Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Ted, Where is your ACR coming from? Mine is from Woodhouse and they are saying it will ship Monday or Tuesday. What are your spec's. Let me know when yours arrives. If you want an RS I know where one is available locally, but it isn't cheap. Best, Allan
Old 10-19-2015, 04:34 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ACR does look like a great car for track duty with some road use. I can't wait to see what it does against 488 and Z06 in R&T PCOY.

Instead of buying a GT3RS, get an ACR and a GT3 next to it. Best combo.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumor has it 2017 will be last year for Viper - Autoweek says YTD sales of Viper is 503 units. Probably won't make it like the last of the RS's in terms of collectability, but who knows.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:07 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Rumor has it 2017 will be last year for Viper - Autoweek says YTD sales of Viper is 503 units. Probably won't make it like the last of the RS's in terms of collectability, but who knows.
That's crazy - only 500 cars. I think GM is making around 7k Z06's per year and they are selling well. I don't understand the descrepidency. The viper is definitely one of the best sports car bargains now
Old 10-19-2015, 03:29 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

^ you have to own one or drive it for a solid test drive. The car isn't for everyone. I had a c6 zr1 and my grandma could drive it. Comfortable and easy. The viper is not. Sides get hot and burn your leg getting out. It's super raw. Tons of road and even more engine noise. It's the most raw/racecar feeling I have driven in street car form
Old 10-19-2015, 03:36 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
^ you have to own one or drive it for a solid test drive. The car isn't for everyone. I had a c6 zr1 and my grandma could drive it. Comfortable and easy. The viper is not. Sides get hot and burn your leg getting out. It's super raw. Tons of road and even more engine noise. It's the most raw/racecar feeling I have driven in street car form
I have driven a c6 zo6 quite a bit (my father has one). I have also taken a viper on an extended test drive (previous version). You're right about the comments about the viper, but I thought they "softened" it up a bit with the current model (not the TA or AcR). You would think that the exclusivity, more exotic looks, and more rawness of the viper would appeal to more than 500 people!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Sloopy
Pro

If you are buying primarily for the track I can't think of a better alternative. The Porsche is a better rounded car and more enjoyable to drive every day or, at least often. The Viper is in many ways is more focused.

Handling is hard core and has little room for error. Catching a slide is quite possible but the ferocity of the traction gain is intense. No problem with steering feel but not the level of satisfaction of the Porsche. To me, nothing beets Porsche in steering feel. But,,,,, from cost of consumables to the hard core performance on the track, its hard to beet the Viper.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The Viper doesn't sell because its a terrible road car. Now the juiced up trackday special ACR makes more sense and offsets poor street manners for incredible limits at the track.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

If anyone in So Cal or Vegas gets one, please PM me so I can come check it out.

Quick Reply: Viper ACR Extreme Aero