Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:05 AM
PowerOut
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying GT3

Hey, I'm thinking of purchasing a 991 GT3 as my first Porsche. It will be the first car ive spent so much on. I would want to use it as a daily so I wanted to hear peoples experiences that actually use their car ever day. Has anyone put a lot of miles on one?

Also, I've noticed that used GT3's seem to be more than building on on the website? Is this due having all the extras or because of another reason? The one i had built on the site had quite a few extras and seemed a good 20k cheaper than buying used.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:08 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

It'll be fine for a daily driver. Not superb and cushy but enjoyable.
You cannot order a new one at this time.
Some used are listed at over MSRP.
Good luck and enjoy the search!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:12 AM
PowerOut
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Hmm you can still build them on the UK site anyway or do they just leave that up even though they aren't available?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Alexey21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PowerOut
Hey, I'm thinking of purchasing a 991 GT3 as my first Porsche. It will be the first car ive spent so much on. I would want to use it as a daily so I wanted to hear peoples experiences that actually use their car ever day. Has anyone put a lot of miles on one?

Also, I've noticed that used GT3's seem to be more than building on on the website? Is this due having all the extras or because of another reason? The one i had built on the site had quite a few extras and seemed a good 20k cheaper than buying used.
Unless you have already been in line at your local dealer, or willing to pay over MSRP, it is impossible to find an allocation for a 2016. However, I do not know if that applies to the UK market, and if the UK market is even getting the 2016 cars.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:20 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Let me start by saying that GT3's are uneblievable machines and used the right way send chills down your spine like few cars car.

I thought a GT3 could be a daily driver. I eventually started to loath driving it - grinding my way through traffic with an engine that is boring under 5000, a transmission that in the words of Andreas P. "Not built so much for comfort", and a suspension that will wear on you. I felt like I was totally wasting the car driving it as a DD.

The Carrera S / GTS is a far better daily driver with an incredible performance envelope. If you don't plan to track, you should seriously consider a "regular" 911.

I sold my first GT3, as I had grown tired of it.

However, I bought another not too much later and now I have an M4 for daily duties. I drive the GT3 exclusively on weekends for fun and on the track and I am so much happier. Can't imagine not having one.

That being said, some folks enjoy daily driving their GT3's and I think it's based upon the type of driving you do everyday and your tolerance for some of the things I discussed above.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 AM
PowerOut
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Originally Posted by sgroer
I thought a GT3 could be a daily driver. I eventually started to loath driving it - grinding my way through traffic with an engine that is boring under 5000, a transmission that in the words of Anreas P. "Not built so much for comfort", and a suspension that will wear on you. I felt like I was totally wasting the car driving it as a DD.

The Carrera S / GTS is a far better daily driver with an incredible performance envelope. If you don't plan to track, you should seriously consider a "regular" 911.

I sold my first GT3, as I had grown tired of it.

However, I bought another and drive it exclusively on weekends for fun and on the track and I am so much happier.

That being said, some folks enjoy daily driving their GT3's and I think it's based upon the type of drving you do everyday and your tolerance for some of the things I discussed above.
I'm not that interested in super comfort and I don't have to commute far for work or anything like that. I would possibly do some track days but i dont want to be in the situation where it just sits in the garage as i was with a heavily modified Japanese car i built. I want something can just get in and drive hard as well as getting from A to B with no worry. I can't afford to have this as just a weekend car, I will also test the GTS but I have a feeling if i got one i'd wish it was a GT3.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

The GT3 can certainly be a daily driver, I recently acquired one and use it for just that.

The Biggest problem is stop and go traffic. The Nissan GTR was criticized for its 'clunky gearbox' at low speeds, but it's far, far more refined than the GT3. The GT3 has a lightweight single mass flywheel - this make it noisey at idle and abrupt when it takes off. It has very little soundproofing, so you hear every clunk, whir, gear noise etc... That's the gearbox and engine are making. I swear they programmed a lumpy idle into the engine as well. It also has no creep in the gearbox, so, to move forwards a bit in traffic you have to rev the engine to 1,500-1,800 (depending on the temperature), at which point, the pdk will engage and the car will move. This is tricky and sounds like you are just sitting there revving the engine like an idiot kid.

Although this sounds bad, it's the only real issue, once the car is moving, it's easy to drive. Don't get a car that is low optioned or stripped if you want to daily drive. You want heated seats, xm, the sound package etc...

A lot of the idle/creeping roughness could be attributed to 'character', you really do feel you are in something special all the time, and I think that is part of the charm of a GT3...

Andy
Old 10-01-2015, 12:53 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

I thought my GTR was much more clunky/unrefined than my GT3.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:35 PM
abcut973
Pro

I would say start with a GTS for daily use and good performance as mentioned above. I test drove one and it is good for that purpose.
If you really want to go for a GT3 be ready to accept the little cons of daily driving a track oriented car. It will also save you some headaches to find one and some $$$ too
Having said that it is your money and obviously your decision. GL with your search.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
The Nissan GTR was criticized for its 'clunky gearbox' at low speeds, but it's far, far more refined than the GT3.
Seriously? First I have heard that. Never owned a GTR but drove on once and found that it was the opposite of what you said.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:07 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A used GTS would be a great value and better DD IMO. The GT3 is capable of doing the DD work for sure.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:03 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts

Much more comfortable than I expected... can be driven as a daily if you manage your tires, but I have more fun driving a lower powered car with a manual as a daily.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

The GT3 is a great daily use car. Although it's sort of like riding American Pharoah down to pick up the mail.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:32 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with having it as a daily driver. It is very comfortable as a daily driver I just did not enjoy it driving it normally. I'm not a track guy and driving this wonderful car on the streets was frustrating. I just sold mine at MSRP which was sad at first but have the new Spyder on order. Looking to get back to a manual plus looking forward to an open top. The Spyder will not be a daily driver but I think it will be more fun driving on the street. I actually miss my 2006 Cayman S. It was a blast on the street because you could take it up the rpm range on the street and not get to far out of the speed limit.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can afford it get the GT3. Wouldn't consider any other P car. Only possible issue with DD is the low front lip so make sure you get lift. I get what others say about DD in traffic but I'd rather have it for when I can go 9k rpm than not have it. "There is no substitute"!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying GT3