Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PSS on 991 GT3 - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, for what it's worth, my local Porsche dealer said that he's had a "ton of GT3s" recently decide to switch from PSC2s to PSSs because I think others are reaching a similar conclusion.

I just don't want to put my GT3 in a ditch in the rain...it's that simple.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:14 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How can your dealer say that when MPSS's have been back ordered since April??
Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

KINGSRULE: who said that?
Old 09-30-2015, 02:45 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Try and buy a set....
I've been on back order at Tire Rack since April...
Yesterday they were hoping to get MPSS's buy end of November
Old 09-30-2015, 03:36 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

got it. i'm just passing along what i heard and i know that michelin gives some preference to OEM dealers. he spoke to michelin and apparently thought they'd be available for order Oct 23rd. fingers crossed.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:38 AM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sebearstian
Great stuff here! May I also propose users of the PZeros to share their experience, especially in comparison to the MPSS? They are the alternative with a N rating and are standard on the non GT cars.
Put a set of these on for "daily" use, with a, I thought, would be a light track excursion to the old Woody Creek track in Aspen, Colorado with the Alpine Region PCA Club.

Either I, or the tire wasn't doing something right. I had massive front tire problems after something like @ >70/75 track miles. The rear PZeros seem to have faired alright, but both left & right fronts began pealing back, chunking and delaminating. I don't know if this was my fault, operator error in trying to run the tires @ 33/35psi Hot in front, or something else. But it's put me off the Pirelli solution/brand unless, and until I can get some kind of clarification from Pirelli or some other tire/user sources.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:17 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Been driving my car with the Pilot Super Sports that I had mounted on my refinished OEM wheels. Quite frankly, it seems like the PSS would be a much better fit for the majority of GT3 owners who don't track their car. The tire is cheaper, less noisy, much better in the rain, able to be driven in cold temps and probably has "more" traction than the Cup2s in the operating temps you are likely to see on the street, unless you are driving the car really, really hard. I'm starting to understand why McLaren and other brands don't use the Trofeos for the default configuration but go with the more street friendly Pzero Corsas. About the only reason I can see for the Cup2s to be the default option on the GT3 is so that Porsche can produce better track times with the "production tire."
Old 01-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Old 01-24-2016, 04:59 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update. What cold tire pressures are you running in the PSS?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

30, 32
Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rm21
30, 32
Got it. I thought you would need higher pressures in the MPSS, given the sidewall is not as stiff as the MPSC 2.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:17 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Well, after ~1,500 miles on the MPSS tires, I can say they are sublime. If you are a track junkie, then I can certainly see the merits of retaining the PSC2s, but if you fall into the category of using the GT3 almost exclusively for the street / open road (like me), then these tires are perfect. Here is a little feedback by category.

- Summary: these should be a factory standard option for owners in the event they know they will see limited track time.
- Sharpness of turn-in: on the street, no noticeable difference. Very crisp handling.
- Road noise / ride comfort: maybe ~10% better, but not material given the stiff suspension setup already
- Aquaplaning resistance: This is night and day and was the biggest driver of my decision. I can finally drive at normal speeds in the rain without being so whiteknuckled (esp. on the highways). This is still a light car w/ a wide tire, so it's not perfect, but the MPSS takes it from terrible in heavy rain to decent. Big plus in the street safety category.
- Warm-up times: Rubber seems to find grip sooner (PSC2s took a bit longer and more heat to get grippy.
- Value: these are cheaper and longer-lasting, so that's a plus, but many on this forum don't care too much about that.

Bottom line is the MPSS is all you need for the street and for the occasional track day. If your orientation is more track-focused, obviously, there are downsides.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2016, 12:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Well, after ~1,500 miles on the MPSS tires, I can say they are sublime. If you are a track junkie, then I can certainly see the merits of retaining the PSC2s, but if you fall into the category of using the GT3 almost exclusively for the street / open road (like me), then these tires are perfect. Here is a little feedback by category.

- Summary: these should be a factory standard option for owners in the event they know they will see limited track time.
- Sharpness of turn-in: on the street, no noticeable difference. Very crisp handling.
- Road noise / ride comfort: maybe ~10% better, but not material given the stiff suspension setup already
- Aquaplaning resistance: This is night and day and was the biggest driver of my decision. I can finally drive at normal speeds in the rain without being so whiteknuckled (esp. on the highways). This is still a light car w/ a wide tire, so it's not perfect, but the MPSS takes it from terrible in heavy rain to decent. Big plus in the street safety category.
- Warm-up times: Rubber seems to find grip sooner (PSC2s took a bit longer and more heat to get grippy.
- Value: these are cheaper and longer-lasting, so that's a plus, but many on this forum don't care too much about that.

Bottom line is the MPSS is all you need for the street and for the occasional track day. If your orientation is more track-focused, obviously, there are downsides.

Good luck!
Thanks Ken! I know what my next set of tires will be now.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always great to have feedback from other owners. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Michelin PSS on 991 GT3 - Impressions