Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PSS on 991 GT3 - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Ken and all, great thread. I've been wondering about the tire options as well. I'm done with the white knuckle and compromised bowel movements that hydroplaning results in.

Are the noise levels with MPSS's much higher than the cup2's?
Old 09-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Mayur, I don't find them any noisier than the Cup 2s.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

If anything they should be quieter. Had them on another car (M3) and they were fantastic. Great dry grip, good longevity, quiet and very smooth riding.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:25 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I On the track, there is one "secret" about them. They squeal like an orgasming pig WAY BEFORE they are at optimal slip angle. I guess it's a safety feature.
Agreed with Max here. Ran MPSS on 7.2 GT3 and 7.2 GT3 RS for street/track tire. Put them on my wife's DD Lexus ISF first. It transformed the car from no confidence to amazing feel. Then got them for the GT3.

Living in Vancouver and tracking in the rain a decent amount, the feedback and communication nearing limits is superb on these tires. My NT01 setsup was probably a smidge faster, but MPSS told me when I was approaching limits far better.

Without hesitation, I would buy a set of these again for all purposes. Am on OEM MPS2s on 991 RS now, amazed with them in the dry. Not driven them enough in the wet to give a review.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:48 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mayur: agreed w/ signes that the MPSS tire should be a lower noise tire. Softer sidewall and not a huge difference in tread design vs. MPSC2 (some, but not dramatic). The MPSS on my RS4 is very low noise.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. My question is how the MPSS changes the handling of the car compared to MSC2. I hear they gave the whole car more understeer (which I dont want), but wanted the feedback of people who had driven them on the track.. I have also been thinking of changing to MPSS and dont mind slightly less grip, provided the car still acts in the same way
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about turn in? I find that usually with all other things equal, stiffer sidewalks result in quicker turn in.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

If you find that the MPSS has a bit more push you can dial it out with the sway bar. I haven't found it to be an issue.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:13 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Great thread. My question is how the MPSS changes the handling of the car compared to MSC2. I hear they gave the whole car more understeer (which I dont want), but wanted the feedback of people who had driven them on the track.. I have also been thinking of changing to MPSS and dont mind slightly less grip, provided the car still acts in the same way
Softer sidewall, more grooves and taller treadblocks = more understeer, also slightly more roll oversteer. Does better with more negative camber up front (not a GT3 comment, prior car, but would expect the same result.)
Old 09-28-2015, 06:15 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Slightly off topic, but they had the 20" N0 MPSS tire displayed at RRV (visually it looks the same as current tire) for the Carrera GT. I could not get a real answer from the Michelin guy there as to whether or not they will be bringing more Porsche approved N coded tires for other models anytime soon. Anyone else have better info?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

One additional piece of info - my Porsche dealer in Atlanta is saying that Michelin said the MPSS will become available ("released") on Oct 23rd. His email was cryptic, so that's all I know. I might pre-order a set, because I'll be at 10k miles by then on my MPSC2s and getting thin on rear tread. Fronts have plenty, but I'm thinking I'm ready for the switch. Might find somewhere to store the fronts.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:34 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

He clarified message saying:

They will not let us order now for the sake of causing another back order. We all have to wait until the 23rd [Oct 23rd] to put our orders in and they should all be 2 days out at that point.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still deciding if I should replace the SC2s with MPSS... Might have to try them out..
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Shahano: only you can decide that and I think it comes down to a decision around how you use the car, your local weather situation, and budget. IMHO, the PSC2s are a streetable track/competition tire -- good enough to get you to the track and excellent dry grip and wear characteristics. However, for the way I use the car (long road trip adventures), they aren't great: 1) bad water channeling, 2) take a lot of heat to build maximum grip levels (at colder temps especially) and in the absence of that heat they can be rock hard because of the rubber compound, and 3) stiffer than needed for public roads. From my Audi RS4 experience, the MPSS has a mileage warranty, excellent wear characteristics, and achieves decent grip levels sooner. The water channeling is excellent and the dual-zone rubber compound area (soft, almost winter-tire interior and aggressive outside contact patch) mean that it grips great in the wet, but not at the demise of hard cornering capability.

It does squeal like a pig on the track, but communicates with you SUPER early on, so it's not that grip levels are that worse off.

I think the Nurburgring times are only ~5-10 sec slower in the MPSS vs. PSC2s if that gives you a sense.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 AM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

good overview

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...per-sport.html

Quick Reply: Michelin PSS on 991 GT3 - Impressions