Sponsored by:

Trading the Dream Car for the Dream House...Temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:19 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default Trading the Dream Car for the Dream House...Temporarily

Someone is buying the cleanest gt3 in the world, GLWS.

What I don't understand is how in today's economy houses are still going for what seems less than actual construction cost for a beauty like that, let alone the land!!!!

I can't imagine leaving NorCal, and SF in paricular, but occasionally I look at my $5k+/month rent and tax bracket, the fact that buying the house I would need for a single room for potential kids to sleep in, let alone a nice flat garage entry ;-).... Is a $4-5 mil proposition and maybe $50k/year in property taxes???

I don't know, maybe some day I'll have to leave NorCal and its mountains, nature, people and weather because living where you're living Matt, strangely is starting to make some sense to me.

Ok, back to my little lurker hole.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

All of this house talk wakes me up a bit. I've been living in Miami (Coral Gables) for 20 years now. Real estate prices here have started to creep up again with all of the cash rich South Americans looking to run away with their ill gotten stash. My girlfriend and I have been contemplating relocating to SoCal or Texas. We've spent a lot of time in both areas and each has its pluses.

In the OC or LA you can barely buy something worth living in for less than $1.5M unless you're willing to make major sacrifices. DFW is just the opposite. Amazing places there are available for sub $800K with new stuff coming up for sale daily. I have never lived more than a few miles from the ocean even though I rarely if ever go near it. Unfortunately I'm drawn to it.

The other issue is that I do not have room to keep my cars at home (10 misc older cars). I purchased and rehabbed a commercial building 20 minutes from home for storage. A DFW move would possibly allow me to build a big garage to keep everything.

We've looked at houses for sale near us but not much ever comes up here. Maybe just a change of house would pacify us? Thoughts from DFW or SoCal guys?

Anyway, beautiful house and garage site. Too bad about the car!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:35 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Good luck Matt.

House prices and interest rates are the lowest you'll see for a very long time. Better to get in and upgrade now. Cars will always be around and as we all know, not an appreciating asset.

They'll always be around, and when the sh*t hits the fan with the economy, you'll be able to pick up cars on the cheap and home interest rates will be north of 6%+. All speculation of course, but this post will be around forever and we can look back at it later

This post has also brought up an interesting conversation with living costs around the country. Not sure if you've minded it (probably a better place for it), but there's some good back/forth chat to be had about it. This is even more important for younger guys with families trying to build wealth. Also for older ones with wealth and trying to retire and live off of savings/investments.

You've said you're a financial planner, so you probably know more than I do

BTW, there are worse places to be than FL guys.

CA and the East Coast?? $$$$ pits. Regardless, be where you can make the most money at the end of the day.

Good luck!

Last edited by STG; 09-18-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:49 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful house !

Updated with your projected new car.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

This thread got pretty doucheoff. We can't help but compare what a comparable property costs in our own areas?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

Matt, congrats again!

Whats the story with the garage door in front with the shrub bed in front of it?
Old 09-18-2015, 11:24 AM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Great looking house Matt! Keep the car is possible, you will miss it too much.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:36 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
This thread got pretty doucheoff. We can't help but compare what a comparable property costs in our own areas?
It's not douchebaggery. It's commiseration.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:47 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Matt for all of your help, information, tenacity and OCD. I have related and enjoyed all the way! Keep lurking I know you will be back. Once the Porsche "bug" is in your system your bitten for life. The house is a great move (though I suspect the projected garage size needs to be revisited-you can never have a big enough garage) -I speak from experience. I expect to see ATV and home tractor maintenance videos soon??
Old 09-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Awesome looking house. That garage project sounds like a lot of fun. But, keep in mind; there's no need for a great garage, if there isn't a great car to go in it =)
Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, why not sell the M3? Is it just the additional practicality?
Old 09-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Again, why not sell the M3? Is it just the additional practicality?
I believe Matt has children. The functionality of having back seats and four doors is real.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:47 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I doubt he would get enough cash from the M3 sale
Old 09-18-2015, 02:33 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Beautiful, Matt. Looks like an estate in Jackson Hole or Vail.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
??

Originally Posted by hfm
It's not douchebaggery. It's commiseration.
+1

Depending on what you do for a living, there are so many places nationwide that you can live - and live very, very well - that might go unnoticed in comparison with the nicer parts of the Northeast or California.

Your friends and neighbors might think you're crazy to leave NorCal/Newport Beach/Manhattan/Etc. for Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or wherever, but the rewards are obvious IMO...

Quick Reply: Trading the Dream Car for the Dream House...Temporarily