Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the gt3 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

From what you describe, I think the McLaren 12-C would be the best fit. I think the GT3 would be too pedestrian for your taste.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I truly believe you can be satisfied with the GT3, but as most have said, take one for a test drive. You will have a difficult time taking the grin off your face. Good luck in your decision and let us know what you decide and why.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Hashlak
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, just signed up to the forum Im in a similar situation as R35driver.

Currently own a 650bhp R35 GTR, Ive had it for almost 3 years and done loads of trackdays. Just recently been to the Nurburgring and Spa, what an experience ! I had gone down there with a friend who has a nice black GT3. Got to drive it a bit on the street and was really impressed by the handling characteristics.

So now i plan to move to Abu Dhabi for work which means I must sell the GTR in the UK. Hopefully tomorrow morning she will be sold to a friend of mine. In the mean time, my brother in Dubai has put deposit down for 2016 GT3 RS for me. Should be arriving by Nov/Dec . I'm so excited, but just don't know what to expect. I know im gonna fall in love with it, just never owned a Porsche.

One of the things i really enjoyed about having the GTR was the limitless tuning possibilities. Was a lot of fun taking the stock car up to stage 4.25 and beating it on track .. Now i know the GT3 RS does not need any mods, but im hoping that there will be plenty of aftermarket options to increase performance/handling, so far haven't found much and dont know where to look :/

Think im gonna have to scan this forum for a couple days

Last edited by Hashlak; 08-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say from your first post to go backwards and get an 997.2 GT3 with a 6 speed. If you're lucky an RS if you can find one at a decent price.

Have you ever thought of the 911 Turbo? You won't get that hit in the back with a baseball bat feeling due to Porsche's Variable Turbine Geometry.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hashlak
Hey guys, just signed up to the forum Im in a similar situation as R35driver.

Currently own a 650bhp R35 GTR, Ive had it for almost 3 years and done loads of trackdays. Just recently been to the Nurburgring and Spa, what an experience ! I had gone down there with a friend who has a nice black GT3. Got to drive it a bit on the street and was really impressed by the handling characteristics.

So now i plan to move to Abu Dhabi for work which means I must sell the GTR in the UK. Hopefully tomorrow morning she will be sold to a friend of mine. In the mean time, my brother in Dubai has put deposit down for 2016 GT3 RS for me. Should be arriving by Nov/Dec . I'm so excited, but just don't know what to expect. I know im gonna fall in love with it, just never owned a Porsche.

One of the things i really enjoyed about having the GTR was the limitless tuning possibilities. Was a lot of fun taking the stock car up to stage 4.25 and beating it on track .. Now i know the GT3 RS does not need any mods, but im hoping that there will be plenty of aftermarket options to increase performance/handling, so far haven't found much and dont know where to look :/

Think im gonna have to scan this forum for a couple days
Doesn't need any mods, this may be true but you may wish to look into a Sharkwerks bypass exhaust. Really makes the car sound a lot meaner and you will find yourself downshifting and flooring the pedal as you drive into tunnels.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ Since you seem to like cars with a lot of torque and hp, you may be disappointed with the 991 GT3. It has 475 hp, but not a lot of torque, so you really need to wind up the revs to the top third of the rev range to feel strong acceleration - easy to do on the track, limited opportunities on the road. I like the torque curve of my C63 much more for the road.
Hey Manifold - Same combo here (GT3, C63) plus a CTT for the dog-hauling duties. I agree though, you may miss the torque feel compared to your other options you are considering for DD duties. I have 500+ lb-ft in my other two vehicles and it is much more accessible on the streets than whining out the GT3. That said, above 5k the GT3 is sublime and there is no question which car I favor!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:35 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I say from your first post to go backwards and get an 997.2 GT3 with a 6 speed. If you're lucky an RS if you can find one at a decent price.

Have you ever thought of the 911 Turbo? You won't get that hit in the back with a baseball bat feeling due to Porsche's Variable Turbine Geometry.
I've thought about going toward a 997 but from what i've read on this forum the 991 is such a huge step up in every way. That and i have a brz for my daily when i want to row my own or heel-toe.

As for the 991 turbo, i feel it would be too similar to the GTR with the awd+turbo+pdk. Sure, its nice to have a modded car that can out accelerate sport bikes but i think i'm over that now.

Hashlak -- there aren't really any mods for the GT3 like the GTR. If you want to make big power this is not the car.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
I've thought about going toward a 997 but from what i've read on this forum the 991 is such a huge step up in every way. That and i have a brz for my daily when i want to row my own or heel-toe.

As for the 991 turbo, i feel it would be too similar to the GTR with the awd+turbo+pdk. Sure, its nice to have a modded car that can out accelerate sport bikes but i think i'm over that now.

Hashlak -- there aren't really any mods for the GT3 like the GTR. If you want to make big power this is not the car.
997 could be better than 991 for some uses and some people. Hence the need to drive and try for yourself.

Correct that GT3 is not the car if big power is a priority. And Porsche GT cars are German track cars which are highly optimized out of the box by people with deep engineering expertise and resources, so IMO modding is best limited to aesthetics, sound, safety upgrades, etc., rather than performance.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I always get a chuckle from people claiming they need 500 lb/ft of torque low in the rpm range for street driving. I don't get it. When do you need to be going that fast.

To the op, just go and drive one!

PS I also enjoyed driving my C63 on the street, but I enjoyed driving my GT3s even more.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
997 could be better than 991 for some uses and some people. Hence the need to drive and try for yourself.

Correct that GT3 is not the car if big power is a priority. And Porsche GT cars are German track cars which are highly optimized out of the box by people with deep engineering expertise and resources, so IMO modding is best limited to aesthetics, sound, safety upgrades, etc., rather than performance.
I agree. There is nothing you can do to improve a GT3.

You can only exchange one set of compromises for another.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted this maybe a few years+ ago: Have a 991 now

I had a well setup 07 GT3 (sold), currently have a 2004 Cup and Yes a 2010 GT-R. Why the GT-R? Well for street use - after $70K + 5K of parts and protune makes 555whp, 1/4 mile traps 128MPH, much cheaper than a Turbo S and it is a hoot for stop light drags. It will hold a set of gold clubs and wife can drive since no stick.

Now how does it compare to the street GT3? Its not a Porsche period. By that I mean the looks, feel, quality, ride and especially that sublime steering of the GT3 is far beyond the GT-R. However for street use you cannot beat a turbo charged car. GT-R is a sledgehammer while the GT-3 is a scalpel. Also after 5 or more hard laps the Gt-R will overheat the tranny, GT3 just goes and goes.

How does it compare to the Cup: I drove the GT-R first time on track at Roebling after hopping out of my Cup. The GT-R felt huge, heavy and tall like sitting in a pick-up. I hated the feel... but you can toss this thing around and the nannies will save you almost every time. Very confidence inspiring cause you know its not going to bite you big (hopefully). Its an effective ride but not rewarding. The GT3 needs setup but If you can drive a GT3 well then you have arrived as a driver. For a novice a faster time in a GT-R does not mean your a good driver, it does not ask as much nor does it reward.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

I came from the same thing as you. I had a full bolt-on 2012 GT-R that I tracked heavily and did quite a few things in.

To be honest, it was crappy to daily and I HATED the attention it got.

However, my first reaction while reading your post is like everyone else, "if you have to ask..."

My GT-R was fast as ****. I don't speed too much on the streets anymore since I get all my jollies on the track. The power was not usable on the track and on the streets it was a bit fun, but you could barely use it aside from short bursts. I hated how heavy the car felt and was.

Why did I replace it with a GT3?

1) I had an E60 BMW M5 before my GT-R. While it didn't have much torque, I loved, loved it. The n/a V10 and revving it to 8,500rpm was so intoxicating. I wanted to go back to that. The high revving engine in the GT3 is just, if not more intoxicating (it doesn't have the amazing V10 soundtrack though), but it feels fantastic--not the grunt you'd have from the GT-R, hell, I don't think it has close to the low end torque of my DD (a Stage 2 CLA45 AMG), but it's plenty fast. I don't need to have all that power anymore.

2) I never agreed with all the critics that said the GT-R is numb and has no feel. Well, it's because of cars like the GT3 that they say that. The GT3 has so much more feedback and involvement over the GT-R, it's night and day.

3) Fit, finish and quality of the GT3 is night and day over the GT-R. It has its own share of idiosyncrasies in terms of rattles, noise and even plumes of white smoke, but it's not like the clutch or diff chatter that the GT-R had. Nor does it have the **** slow, MFD/Nav unit the GT-R had.

4) Lastly, while it's not really a big deal, but the GT-R crowd and what it attracts was/is less than desirable. Especially now since they're going down in price.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

I've been using my GT3 as the daily driver while my C2 and the Jeep are having some mods done. I'm loving it. But that being said, it is not a car for everyone. You will know which car is the right one for you, so keep enjoying the test drives
Old 08-20-2015, 07:43 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

glad to hear from former GTR members who were in the same boat as me (lol literally and figuratively). Its funny how we thought that since it was a nissan it wouldn't get much attention... couldn't be further from the truth.

i actually found one at a dealer not far from me so hopefully i can get a test drive in the next week or two.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:51 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

didn't read the whole thread. to the OP, I had both GTR and 991 GT3. Bottom line, if you are driving just in the city, the GTR would be much more fun because it was turbo with crazy torque. GT3 should belong on the track where its true self reveals when the rev is higher than 5K. On freeway, if you let the automatic pdk does its work, you would be above 120 mph in the blink of eyes and you are in 7th gear. If you down shift to get the rev high, you are talking about 130-140 mph.... And I am very positive that the handling of GT3 is way better than the GTR. I always got uncomfortable with the GTR when going curvy roads.

So because I don't track, I feel like I am wasting the car as well because I don't get to feel its limits on the freeway. Plus, I want to roll my gears, so that's why I get a GT4.

In all honesty, I can see why one person here got the M4 for the daily drive. It makes senses.

Quick Reply: is the gt3 right for me?