Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Own Exhaust Conclusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015 | 12:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Default My Own Exhaust Conclusion

Well, there have been a few threads floating around about exhaust options ect and I have came to my own conclusion whether right or wrong. And, all of these threads have been great in educating me so not discounting any of them. I think for some/many the OEM set-up will be just fine. I rate it as a 7 in loudness and musical note. And 7 is very good so do not look at my 7 as being a low number. When I look at the new Huracan or Ferrari. I rate them a 9.5 but I would not want an Italian sound in a German car. Hence, why I did not put a Tubi Sport Exhaust on my 997.2 Turbo a few years ago and went with M&M. I wanted my car to sound German and it was a mission accomplished.

Back to the GT3. I love all the rear bypasses out there. It is an inexpensive(~$1500) option that has very low risk and takes the OEM exhaust from a 7 to an 8.5. Whether you choose SW, GMG, FVD, ect.- they re all good and maybe each offer a slightly different sound but I put them on the some playing field. Now, If one wants to go full exhaust for Akra ect you can spend $9000 plus but I am looking for something that makes sense economically. So far, I think the IPE full exhaust sounds the best and for a little under $7000 I can have this set-up installed(no affiliation just a personal observation). I know many would question their quality and tactics but just because it is not German, Italian, or English made does not make it a bad choice. But, I would need to do more due diligence on that exhaust but it does sound great. But, I am not a big fan of screwing with Cats and Headers ect because it is a higher risk /dollar option.

So now it takes me to the potential decision that I have made. If I want more than what the rear bypass will offer I think it will be to Bypass the side mufflers and either retain the OEM rear muffler or upgrade that section. Now, the million dollar question is to pair the ideal side muffler bypass with a rear muffler. I also like this option for the approx. 40 lbs weight reduction that can not be discounted. So, this is now where I will continue my search.
Old 04-21-2015 | 12:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

I just punch a hole in or muffler, it's pretty loud
or I just run open pipe
Old 04-21-2015 | 12:41 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

^ oh John

Seriously, stock headers and CEL cats, Side bypass pipes and a very efficient center muffler will give you the best performance bang for the buck. For your best overall performance, sound, and weight savings solution then undoubtedly a full system is the way to go. And no it isn't a $7k+ option, it's less than that. Keep in mind that, either way, you will have to add an ECU file in order to extract the maximum performance from your upgraded exhaust.

Sound wise think of this:

PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2015 | 12:55 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
^ oh John

Seriously, stock headers and CEL cats, Side bypass pipes and a very efficient center muffler will give you the best performance bang for the buck. For your best overall performance, sound, and weight savings solution then undoubtedly a full system is the way to go. And no it isn't a $7k+ option, it's less than that. Keep in mind that, either way, you will have to add an ECU file in order to extract the maximum performance from your upgraded exhaust.

PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.
Do tell. That looks like the M&M center muffler with side delete. Is it? I think that this is what I should have done instead of the M&M side mufflers and center delete. Us newbee owners aren't as adept at this stuff, and it seems to be a big secret.
Old 04-21-2015 | 01:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

I am all ears.....
Old 04-21-2015 | 01:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Money2536
Do tell. That looks like the M&M center muffler with side delete. Is it? I think that this is what I should have done instead of the M&M side mufflers and center delete. Us newbee owners aren't as adept at this stuff, and it seems to be a big secret.
Money - I think we just need to match the best side bypass with upgraded rear muffler. If it has valves even better so you can turn on and off
Old 04-21-2015 | 01:09 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Money - I think we just need to match the best side bypass with upgraded rear muffler. If it has valves even better so you can turn on and off
I think you are right. Rhonda is talking to M&M for me. I think the long-time Porsche guys are laughing at us for being so stupid.
Old 04-21-2015 | 01:12 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

^No - their enjoying this
Old 04-21-2015 | 01:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Jimmy, save your money and stick with the OEM. The difference isn't that great unless you install whatever is on the car in the clip above. That is way over the top and for 99.9% of driving unacceptable.
Old 04-21-2015 | 01:23 PM
vf430
Racer

I think you guys are overthinking this exhaust thing. I dont know what kind of sound goals you are trying to reach . Let me say this your 991Gt3 will not sound as good as a V8 , Ferrari one specifically. forget the Scud , even my 430 sounded much better than my shark 997.2 gt3.

If you have a weekend car and want something that sounds agressive and gets close to exotic sound and want to keep it under 1k , BBI is a great solution.

Otherwise keep the valves and get the Shark, its is really good. I had it in my 997.2 Gt3. For my 991 Gt3 i wanted to try something different.

There are many options between $900 - $10000.....dont see the point of marginal improvement in sound quality above a certain price. Sometimes i feel they all sound the same
Old 04-21-2015 | 02:04 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=vf430;12222187]I think you guys are overthinking this exhaust thing. I dont know what kind of sound goals you are trying to reach . Let me say this your 991Gt3 will not sound as good as a V8 , Ferrari one specifically. forget the Scud , even my 430 sounded much better than my shark 997.2 gt3.[quote]

I completely disagree as, IMO the 430 and for 458 sound like **** compared to my GT3RS but then again exhaust sound preferences are subjective.

Around the 1:12 time.
Old 04-21-2015 | 02:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

There were 3 GT3's at our region autocross this last weekend. I had several people ask if we had all done some kind of exhaust mod as our cars were just about the loudest ones there. In fact, all 3 are stock. Any louder, and I'm certain we wouldn't pass the sound regs.

A lighter weight exhaust would be a benefit, but when it comes to more sound I just don't see the point. I'm sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way, but the car already garners a ton of attention without an even louder exhaust and for the street the big wing on my red car already pushes the boy racer image about as far as I want to go.

My own, unasked for and no doubt irritating to some, exhaust conclusion...
Old 04-21-2015 | 02:16 PM
vf430
Racer

[QUOTE=MJSpeed;12222312][QUOTE=vf430;12222187]I think you guys are overthinking this exhaust thing. I dont know what kind of sound goals you are trying to reach . Let me say this your 991Gt3 will not sound as good as a V8 , Ferrari one specifically. forget the Scud , even my 430 sounded much better than my shark 997.2 gt3.

I completely disagree as, IMO the 430 and for 458 sound like **** compared to my GT3RS but then again exhaust sound preferences are subjective.

Around the 1:12 time.
I agree its subjective . To me RS and 997.2 Gt3 was boring as hell and sound was just so not good. Even aston & vette sounded better.
Old 04-21-2015 | 02:18 PM
vf430
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There were 3 GT3's at our region autocross this last weekend. I had several people ask if we had all done some kind of exhaust mod as our cars were just about the loudest ones there. In fact, all 3 are stock. Any louder, and I'm certain we wouldn't pass the sound regs.

A lighter weight exhaust would be a benefit, but when it comes to more sound I just don't see the point. I'm sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way, but the car already garners a ton of attention without an even louder exhaust and for the street the big wing on my red car already pushes the boy racer image about as far as I want to go.

My own, unasked for and no doubt irritating to some, exhaust conclusion...
Mike I agree on one thing the 991 Gt3 sounds way better than 997.2 Gt3 . But below 6 k its less of an event. Thats where exhaust comes in.
Old 04-21-2015 | 02:36 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great topic guys..

Here is a quick video of our system on a 991 GT3 we recently did for a client.

Center section without thermal coat

IMG_2367 by GMG Racing, on Flickr

Center Section with Thernal Coat

IMG_2418 by GMG Racing, on Flickr

Muffler system ( saves 50% of weight over stock )

_MG_9827_GMG by GMG Racing, on Flickr

WC Sport Center Section:

IMG_5354_GMG by GMG Racing, on Flickr

RSR

IMG_8518_GMG by GMG Racing, on Flickr

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Quick Reply: My Own Exhaust Conclusion