Sponsored by:

PDK vs PDK-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 08:50 PM
hei83
Intermediate

Default PDK vs PDK-S

Hi people
I might be posting in the wrong section but it's 991 GT3 related. Please remove it if it's necessarily.

I am currently in the market of buying a track car to replace my current one (2012 honda fit, front wheel drive, as fast as an electric wheel chair) that I can drive on the track and go back home. Can someone please share your experience on both a Cayman S with PDK vs the 991 GT3?

There are a few things I want to know. The shift differences to a driver in between the PDK and PDK-S. Also the maintenance differences on those 2 units. I have heard stories when someone had to pay 14k to get the pdk repaired. PDK-S is faster but at your point of view, is it noticeable?

I appreciate your input. Thanks

Last edited by hei83; 04-06-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Removed the paragraph causes confusion.
Old 04-06-2015 | 08:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hei83
Hi people
I might be posting in the wrong section but it's 991 GT3 related. Please remove it if it's necessarily.

I am currently in the market of buying a track car to replace my current one (2012 honda fit, front wheel drive, as fast as an electric wheel chair) that I can drive on the track and go back home. Can someone please share your experience on both a Cayman S with PDK vs the 991 GT3?

There are a few things I want to know. The shift differences to a driver in between the PDK and PDK-S. Also the maintenance differences on those 2 units. I have heard stories when someone had to pay 14k to get the pdk repaired.

As a track toy, 991 GT3 is out of my budget. I want something I can drive on the track without worrying about the repair bill. I attend 15-20 track days a year so I want to keep my cost down. I am only deciding in between the 987.2 vs 981, stick or pdk. I don't plan to track my 997.2 as no 3rd party extended warranty covers GT cars any more so I would just keep it off the track.

I'm confused. You implied you searched but yet you ask about the PDK-S on a car that you won't buy. The regular PDK will shift faster than anything you are used to or have known. Just make sure you get sport chrono with it.
Old 04-06-2015 | 09:15 PM
hei83
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExMB
I'm confused. You implied you searched but yet you ask about the PDK-S on a car that you won't buy. The regular PDK will shift faster than anything you are used to or have known. Just make sure you get sport chrono with it.
Just reshaped my post, it may be easier for me to get an idea. The reason I asked was just to fulfill my curiosity.

Got it, right, if i am going for a PDK model, i will look for a sample with sport chrono plus. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2015 | 09:27 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Hi people

There are a few things I want to know. The shift differences to a driver in between the PDK and PDK-S. Also the maintenance differences on those 2 units. I have heard stories when someone had to pay 14k to get the pdk repaired. PDK-S is faster but at your point of view, is it noticeable?

Not sure I follow your question, but the 991 GT3 only comes with PDK-S its not an option, and sports chorno is no required other than tracking your lap times. Also I doubt anyone has paid 14k for a replacement car is still under warantee no failures reported.
Old 04-06-2015 | 10:21 PM
hei83
Intermediate

Hey Thanks Maverick, I want to have an idea on the shifting feel in between the Cayman S PDK and the 991 GT3 PDK-S. All the PDK issues i have heard were from Cayman. That's why I wasn't sure whether it's the right place to ask.

Your input is greatly appreciated !
Old 04-07-2015 | 06:19 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

I have driven the Cayman S (2009) with PDK (sport plus) and it is amazing until you track it, imho:

For daily driving it is both smooth and angry depending on how you use your right foot.

On the track it is kind of "disconnected" (the PDK). It simply does not shift fast enough.

If you think of it as if when using a manual gearbox you are in total control of what is going on: You decide exactly when things happens using the clutch.

When driving the PDK you loose a bit of that feeling/control.

I think that the GT3 with PDK-S solves that problem by being super-fast.

Remember: This is only my opinion...
Old 04-08-2015 | 01:47 AM
hei83
Intermediate

Thanks Kobalt, do you have that disconnected feeling when you put it in full auto mode?
Old 04-08-2015 | 02:17 AM
DMoore
Pro

PDK has gone through a couple of generations. The transmission first appeared in 2009, so what Kobalt drove was the very first version. There have been at least two later generations of the PDK. I had PDK with sport chrono on my '13 991S and it felt very different from my previous 2009 and 2011 PDK equipped cars. I now have a '15 GT3 with PDK-S, and the difference between it and my '13 PDK is at least as great as the difference between the '09 and '13 versions of PDK.

But you're really comparing apples to turnips. The Cayman S and GT3 are completely different cars. The only Cayman that would remotely compare is the new GT4, and that's available (at least for now) only with a manual transmission. The "hottest" Cayman available with PDK is the GTS. I've driven that car, although only briefly on a track. It's just totally and completely different in every respect.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 04-08-2015 | 02:44 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Does porsche actually call a trans PDKS?
Old 04-08-2015 | 04:02 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Thanks Kobalt, do you have that disconnected feeling when you put it in full auto mode?
Yes. But as mentioned: This Cayman is a 2009.
Old 04-08-2015 | 04:04 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I believe that PDK-S has been coined by Rennlisters.
Old 04-08-2015 | 08:21 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Default PDK - Sport

Originally Posted by Kobalt
I believe that PDK-S has been coined by Rennlisters.
Zoom in on top left button PDK- Sport (PDK -S)

Last edited by Maverick787; 06-25-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2015 | 09:15 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

I have a '14 Cayman PDK (with a 3.8L engine) and a '15 GT3. I don't really notice any difference - though I'm yet to track the GT3 and the Cayman has only ever been driven on the track. I really don't notice a significant difference in shift times, both are in the right gear when you want them.

But one thing to keep in mind is that gear changes won't be the same between the cars. The Cayman has a steeper lower rpm torque curve than the GT3, so you can be in 1 gear higher in a corner without performance suffering as much as being in the same situation as the GT3.

I don't think there has been a situation where I've been in the wrong gear in the Cayman as I've always had enough time under brakes to get shifting done and be setup for turn-in. Maybe I'm driving too slow though?
Old 04-08-2015 | 12:33 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Yes, that is what AP called the GT3 modified PDK in the early interviews and the marketing material. Has nothing to do with the 'sport' button or 'sport plus' button on the console.

There are many threads about the differences between the standard PDK and the GT3-specific PDK-S.
Old 04-08-2015 | 08:52 PM
hei83
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input guys, Appreciate 'em !!!

Quick Reply: PDK vs PDK-S