991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not really loving the GT3 these days

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015 | 10:58 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Maybe there's an untapped source of revenue out there. Strippers to drive you home in heavily congested traffic.
Old 03-31-2015 | 11:01 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Maybe there's an untapped source of revenue out there. Strippers to drive you home in heavily congested traffic.
Finally a productive solution
Old 03-31-2015 | 01:47 PM
Bartron
Racer

A few plays on the word "Uber" come to mind:

Old 03-31-2015 | 07:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
So many people posting such great, enthusiastic reviews about taking delivery and loving their cars. Makes me realize the fun I SHOULD be having with this car, but basically can't.

I'm in a funk and not really enjoying my GT3 much. At this point I think about the $150k (I own it outright) I have in it, and that I am blatantly wasting the car by driving it the way I do.

My life pattern these days allows for nothing more than stop and go traffic, or at least heavy traffic, with no time to actually go out and DRIVE it. I'd have to drive it like an ******* in traffic to get any sort of performance out of it.

In the 6 months I've owned it, I've been to the track only a couple times for a few short sessions. I've only been to the smokies 2 times. And I just don't see my schedule freeing up any time soon (next 2 years at least) to enjoy the car. Very frustrating - I find myself really missing my 991 Carrera S.

I'm definitely keeping it until the Smokies gathering in May, but I'm thinking after that, it's time to move on to something easier to drive. I have no idea what. Maybe a Turbo? Maybe something totally different.

I have no more room for an additional car, I find myself enjoying driving my lifted 2015 Rubicon more than my GT3.

Anyone else experiencing similar GT3 funk?
About two months ago, I had the exact feeling about the car. So I put it up for sale. Initially I received a lot of low ball offers but with time the offers came closer to my asking price.

In the meantime, I continued to drive the car. Following Watts advice(he posted on this thread from NZ) I began to search for opportunities to experience what the car can do even though it was for a brief time. My feelings about the car began to change. So much so, that when I was offered my asking price I turned it down telling the buyer I just could not sell the car.

You need to drive the car for it to grow on you and appreciate it even though it may not always be in its track element. BTW, having owned a couple of TT's if you are bored with the GT3 you would kill yourself because of boredom driving a TT.
Old 03-31-2015 | 07:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

I see the car as offering a spectrum of experiences:

1. At the base level, when the car is being driven relatively normally on the road, the car doesn't offer much fun but it offers reasonable comfort, so it can work as a daily driver and for long drives to/from the track.

2. For the spirited road driving, when the car starts to wake up, the car can be somewhat fun - but not necessarily more fun than many other cars driven at the same pace.

3. When driven on the road at a pace where you have really wonder if you're going to fast, the car is fun and impressive. It's specialness becomes evident. But you may indeed be going too fast ...

4. Driven on the track at intermediate pace, the car is even more fun and impressive. But not necessarily more fun than many other cars driven on the track.

5. Driven on the track at advanced non-pro level, the car is pretty dang amazing. Beastly performance, and a rewarding thrill to drive.

My driving of the car is mainly at levels 1 and 5, and I think it's quite an achievement that the car works so well at both of these extremes.

Last edited by Manifold; 04-01-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2015 | 07:55 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Similar experience except I never seriously considered selling. Just took a while to adapt to the car and appreciate it. The more I drive it the more I like it. Last Friday I got in the car and drove 500mi across central Tx to the panhandle to visit my dad. Parked the car at the end, grabbed my gear and walking away, stopped, turned back and looked at the car covered in dead bugs and the engine and exhaust ticking and thought- man I love this car. Only took me 5k mi!
Old 03-31-2015 | 08:39 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by zedcat
Similar experience except I never seriously considered selling. Just took a while to adapt to the car and appreciate it. The more I drive it the more I like it. Last Friday I got in the car and drove 500mi across central Tx to the panhandle to visit my dad. Parked the car at the end, grabbed my gear and walking away, stopped, turned back and looked at the car covered in dead bugs and the engine and exhaust ticking and thought- man I love this car. Only took me 5k mi!
BOOM!
Old 03-31-2015 | 09:27 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Sean, I understand what you are saying. Sometimes anticipation and planning for a car is more fulfilling than the ownership itself. I think when we all get together in May, the true value of the car will come thru. In the meantime, get up to the track and hang out with some like minded people. There are several of us there with GT3s. I'm SURE this will help.

Best, Allan
Old 03-31-2015 | 10:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Finally a productive solution

Don't let your girlfriend hear you say that.
Old 03-31-2015 | 10:13 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by bronson7
Don't let your girlfriend hear you say that.
She won't care Good girlfriend
Old 03-31-2015 | 10:33 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Sean, Hanging out with another 37 GT3s in May might help. It's sure going to boost my spirits after this winter. Looking forward to meeting you.
Old 04-01-2015 | 12:06 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Sean, Hanging out with another 37 GT3s in May might help. It's sure going to boost my spirits after this winter. Looking forward to meeting you.
Yes! Absolutely! I cannot wait.

And interestingly, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I was out of town for a couple days. Got home from the airport in the Rubicon and took the GT3 out for a good run. It was awesome.... truly awesome.

I need to drive it less.
Old 04-01-2015 | 03:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

the only thing that ticks me off about my GT3 is that it cannot tow my 44' trailer. but other than that, i cannot think of a better car for ANY use.
Old 04-01-2015 | 09:13 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
I see the car as offering a spectrum of experiences:

1. At the base level, when the car is being driven relatively normally on the road, the car doesn't offer much fun but it offers reasonable comfort, so it can work as a daily driver and for long drives to/from the track.

2. For the spirited road driving, when the car starts to wake up, the car can be somewhat fun - but not necessarily more fun than many other cars driven at the same pace.

3. When driven on the road at a pace where you have really wonder if you're going to fast, the car is fun and impressive. It's specialness becomes evident. But you may indeed be going too fast ...

4. Driven on the track at intermediate pace, the car is even more fun and impressive. But not necessarily more fun than many other cars driven on the track.

5. Driven on the track at advanced non-pro level, the car is pretty dang amazing. Beastly performance, and a rewarding thrill to drive.

My driving of the car is mainly at levels 1 and 5, and I think it's quite an achievement that the car works so well at both of these extremes.
Very well said. +1
Old 04-01-2015 | 10:37 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Manifold
I see the car as offering a spectrum of experiences: 1. At the base level, when the car is being driven relatively normally on the road, the car doesn't offer much fun but it offers reasonable comfort, so it can work as a daily driver and for long drives to/from the track. 2. For the spirited road driving, when the car starts to wake up, the car can be somewhat fun - but not necessarily more fun than many other cars driven at the same pace. 3. When driven on the road at a pace where you have really wonder if you're going to fast, the car is fun and impressive. It's specialness becomes evident. But you may indeed be going too fast ... 4. Driven on the track at intermediate pace, the car is even more fun and impressive. But not necessarily more fun than many other cars driven on the track. 5. Driven on the track at advanced non-pro level, the car is pretty dang amazing. Beastly performance, and a rewarding thrill to drive. My driving of the car is mainly at levels 1 and 5, and I think it's quite an achievement that the car works so well at both of these extremes.

Great post!

This explains very well the difference between previous gt3s and 991gt3.

This car is a lot better at points 1 and probably better at 5 as well!

The 997gt3 is probably better at point 2-3?

Quick Reply: Not really loving the GT3 these days