Sponsored by:

Oil level measurement message

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil level measurement message

anyone get a "no information about oil level at present" when checking the level as per protocol? Tried several times, in my level garage, and on other flat surfaces, after extended idling. Eventually, it worked. Level was fine. Rear lid wasn't open. Oil temp. was good, 190. Worked countless times before without a glitch. Seems to be fine now. Of course, I ll give the dealer a buzz tomorrow, but wondering if anyone else experienced this?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:16 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a thread somewhere around here about this. I have the same problem but unlike you, mine rarely works so I'm kind of used to it.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhf_clt
There's a thread somewhere around here about this. I have the same problem but unlike you, mine rarely works so I'm kind of used to it.
Happens to me also once in a while. Never know why it is not working on some occasions even so it seems that all parameters are within the requested range ...
I hate it because I want to know how much oil is in that 9000 rpm sewing machine

Peter
Old 03-22-2015, 11:05 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue. Random when it works and when it doesn't. Right now, it doesn't--not ideal, since I just topped up the oil by 0.2L.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Kaes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is VERY fickle. It's hard to predict when it will work, but usually after idling for 3 to 5 minutes, it will eventually display. When topping up oil, it does seem to be pretty accurate......about 200 ml per segment on the indicator. Since new, I've got about 3,000 miles on the clock, plus two track days, and I've added a total of 300 ml of oil.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:13 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll take a DIPSTICK please.
The following users liked this post:
Nate Tempest (06-13-2024)
Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, the cant measure message usually appears if you opened the rear deck lid(whether to just stare at the 2 fans, or to add some oil). To get a reading again is very simple, and I think it should be stated somewhere in the manual(it isnt) since this issue pops up quite often here especially that more and more are getting their GT3s.

So to get a reading after you get the no reading/measurement message, you need to do the following.

Obviously the rear deck lid has to be closed. Turn on your GT3, once at operating temp(go for a short drive) you place it in PARK and wait 2 minutes, then check the meaurement again and you should get a reading.

Thats it.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:48 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Apparently the car has to not only be at operating temp, but needs to have been driven 9 miles. It is possible to get it to work without this ritual, but it will take several attempts and rubbing your belly while standing on one leg etc.

Give me a dipstick any day

Vivian
Old 03-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I've had it appear a couple of times and I had not opened the rear deck lid. Typically I just let it sit for about a minute in the garage after a drive and get a reading.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:52 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
Guys, the cant measure message usually appears if you opened the rear deck lid(whether to just stare at the 2 fans, or to add some oil). To get a reading again is very simple, and I think it should be stated somewhere in the manual(it isnt) since this issue pops up quite often here especially that more and more are getting their GT3s.

So to get a reading after you get the no reading/measurement message, you need to do the following.

Obviously the rear deck lid has to be closed. Turn on your GT3, once at operating temp(go for a short drive) you place it in PARK and wait 2 minutes, then check the meaurement again and you should get a reading.

Thats it.
My deck lid had not been open prior to checking and it was secure. I waited what I believe to be over two minutes, pretty sure it was closer to three. Anyway, after waiting long enough, it worked.

That said, I agree, it feels as though the issue is the waiting period. Car definitely needs to be idling without any accelerated idling for 2 mins or more. We ll see what happens next time.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:57 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Apparently the car has to not only be at operating temp, but needs to have been driven 9 miles. It is possible to get it to work without this ritual, but it will take several attempts and rubbing your belly while standing on one leg etc.

Give me a dipstick any day

Vivian
Had not read nor heard the nine mile thing, but it makes sense. Bimmers typically need at least 6. I had returned from a 20 mile drive, let her idle in the garage without any throttle blips and tried about a dozen times over what felt like 5 mins. Eventually it worked. I think I did rub my belly though....

Last edited by 911dev; 03-22-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Same issue here. Initially I thought something was wrong. Over time figured out that the measurement system is quite temperamental when it comes to giving me a reading. A nice cumple of minutes idling accompanied with good vibes usually makes the sensor work. I am sure Porsche can do better.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I've gotten that message, too. I don't know what the issue is about the lid being opened or not but regardless, if the car is on level ground, is at operating temp, and has been idling for 2 or 3 minutes, I can't think of a time when I failed to get a good reading.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of what causes all of this confusion and frustration with the oil measurement process in the GT3 is simply the single rather uninformative message, "No information about oil level at present".

In my 997 GTS, the oil measurement system is similar, but there are three more informative messages:

* If the oil temperature is not warm enough to take a measurement, you'll get the message, "Engine not warmed up".

* If you try to measure the oil level while driving and it doesn't have a recent measurement to report to you, you'll get the message, "Engine must be at idle to measure oil level", or some such message.

* If the above conditions are met it will either report a recent measurement or will take a new measurement. While taking a measurement, you will see a countdown clock. The countdown clock usually starts at 45-60 seconds, although sometimes it is less.

The above simple messages almost completely eliminate the confusion, anxiety, and frustration that many of us have expressed with the GT3's oil measurement procedure.

Come on Porsche, we all know that Germans are stingy with words, but just change it back to the way it used to work!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:28 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Part of what causes all of this confusion and frustration with the oil measurement process in the GT3 is simply the single rather uninformative message, "No information about oil level at present".

In my 997 GTS, the oil measurement system is similar, but there are three more informative messages:

* If the oil temperature is not warm enough to take a measurement, you'll get the message, "Engine not warmed up".

* If you try to measure the oil level while driving and it doesn't have a recent measurement to report to you, you'll get the message, "Engine must be at idle to measure oil level", or some such message.

* If the above conditions are met it will either report a recent measurement or will take a new measurement. While taking a measurement, you will see a countdown clock. The countdown clock usually starts at 45-60 seconds, although sometimes it is less.

The above simple messages almost completely eliminate the confusion, anxiety, and frustration that many of us have expressed with the GT3's oil measurement procedure.

Come on Porsche, we all know that Germans are stingy with words, but just change it back to the way it used to work!
Regarding my suggestion above, is there some mechanism for submitting simple suggestions like this to the product management group at Porsche? There are also a few suggestions about the GPS navigation system user interface that I have long wanted to make.

When I mention things like this to my several contacts at my Porsche dealership, all I get is a helpless look and a shoulder shrug.

Quick Reply: Oil level measurement message