Sponsored by:

Porsche Tries To Remain Exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:14 AM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche Tries To Remain Exclusive

Interesting read in the journal this morning on future growth and sales. It's nice to hear Porsche is cognizant of the fact they need to remain exclusive to a certain extent. One thing I found interesting is the magnitude of change on margins due to Macan sales.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/porsche-...ges-1426591087
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Monte
Interesting read in the journal this morning on future growth and sales. It's nice to hear Porsche is cognizant of the fact they need to remain exclusive to a certain extent. One thing I found interesting is the magnitude of change on margins due to Macan sales.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/porsche-...ges-1426591087
Sounds like it would be a good article if I subscribed...
Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

trick for cheap sob like me on the WSJ to get around the paywall. Search the article title in google,then click it in the results:

https://www.google.com/search?client...+Demand+Surges

This article is a whole lot of non-reporting candidly. Feels like filler.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
trick for cheap sob like me on the WSJ to get around the paywall. Search the article title in google,then click it in the results:

https://www.google.com/search?client...+Demand+Surges
Thank you.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Primary reason I drive Porsches is that they make great drivers cars.

The relative Porsche exclusivity is a second reason. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi each sell 1.6 to 2 million cars a year and it shows. I see those three brands everywhere, everyday and they are about as exciting to me as a Honda or Ford, as a result.

Porsche sells 170,000 to 190,000 cars a year. You do see Porsches, but much less commonly than the other 3 German brands. However ,Porsche is widespread enough that a Porsche dealer is never too far away, if you need one, so you're not stranded. Porsche has the perfect degree of exclusivity.

Besides the mechanical differences, I don't understand buying a Jaguar, Aston-Martin, Alfa Romeo, Mclaren, etc. Those cars and brands are rarer and " more exclusive", but they dont perform as well as a corresponding Porsche, their resale value pluments like a rock, and they all have very small dealer networks. Some of them attract too much attention like Mclaren and Lamborghini.

The only exclusive brand that tempts me is Ferrari, however because of their lines going turbo, the Ferrari temptation is waning.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-17-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

It's free on Morningstar

http://news.morningstar.com/all/dow-...es-update.aspx
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

The relative Porsche exclusivity is a second reason. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi each sell 1.6 to 2 million cars a year and it shows. I see those three brands everywhere, everyday and they are about as exciting to me as a Honda or Ford, as a result.

Porsche sells 170,000 to 190,000 cars a year. You do see Porsches, but much less commonly than the other 3 German brands. However ,Porsche is widespread enough that a Porsche dealer is never too far away, if you need one, so you're not stranded. Porsche has the perfect degree of exclusivity.

Besides the mechanical differences, I don't understand buying a Jaguar, Aston-Martin, Alfa Romeo, Mclaren, etc. Those cars and brands are rarer and " more exclusive", but they dont perform as well as a corresponding Porsche, their resale value pluments like a rock, and they all have very small dealer networks. Some of them attract too much attention like Mclaren and Lamborghini.

The only exclusive brand that tempts me is Ferrari, however because of their lines going turbo, the Ferrari temptation is waning.
At least in the parking garage where I work, there are more Audi and BMWs, but only by a small margin. Porsche's are closing in quick. A lot of 911s - maybe even more than Cayennes.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
At least in the parking garage where I work, there are more Audi and BMWs, but only by a small margin. Porsche's are closing in quick. A lot of 911s - maybe even more than Cayennes.
From my parking spot to the door at work I pass by several Cayennes and Panameras, but fortunately also 3 997.1 turbo, 1 996 GT3, 1 993 Carrera, 1 951.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

What I like about Porsches(their sports cars), is that you can put some miles on them w/o the fear you are going to get crushed. So - I say they are semi-exclusive. Put 20,000 miles on a Lambo or Ferrari over a 4 to 5 year period and you get crushed at resell. But 20,000 miles(non-tracked) on say a Gt3 and it will not be so bad
Old 03-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Ridiculous article. Porsche is simply not an "ultraluxury" brand. Neither Ferrari or Aston Martin, nor are any of the other "ultraluxury" brands they identify are rivals; not one sell a model even remotely similar in price or concept to Porsche's core product (SUVs). Total production volume of Ferrari and AM combined is only about 5% of Porsche's production, and the article even states Porsche sells more vehicles than the eight "ultraluxury" brands combined. Porsche is a German premium brand just like Audi, BMW, and MB, only with a less broad model range (for now).
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

As long as the engine is where it belongs, your Porsche will be exclusive. The rest is merchendising.

Quick Reply: Porsche Tries To Remain Exclusive