Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to cquartz my GT3 any hints?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^ I like Cquartz on the body for all the reasons you explained; but for my wheels I use Opticoat because it has more extreme durability and that is an area that needs the extra protection. Opticoat offers a 5 year warranty where Cquartz is 3 - I believe
Old 03-18-2015, 01:08 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1
Old 03-18-2015, 01:39 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Also, I didn't like Opti on glass. I believe CQ has a specific glass product.

You can't go wrong with either really, unless you want that really deep gloss only wax provides.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:42 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
You can't go wrong with either really, unless you want that really deep gloss only wax provides.
Agree. And if you really want, you can layer carnauba over either for more depth. I did that (Auto Finesse Illusion) and really didn't see any benefit or difference.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:46 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I put cquartz over my vinyl wrap, which of course doesn't affect the finish but it makes the water roll right off (feels like teflon)
Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

I have used CQ Finest and Opti Coat for the last 5-6 years on my cars.

As others have mentioned, its all about the prep work, I cannot stress this enough as these products are not like waxes or traditional sealants. Think of this as adding an additional layer of clear coat almost. So if the surface underneath is not perfect, you will only be high lighting and effectively locking those imperfections in the surface paint in under the coating, or at least till you wear out the product or take it off.

I have found that Opticoat has a slightly muted finish compared to Finest, I have never used normal CQ. Both offer excellent protection compared to normal waxes as I live in Toronto and our cars get a full 4 seasons. I also like CQ Finest better because it actually wears off, and needs to be redone every 4-5 years. Opticoat needs to be buffed off essentially, and then reapplied.

Good luck.
Agreed.

Personally, however, I do prefer OptiCoat over CQuartz because of the fact I do not have to reapply (in theory, anyway).

But again, both great, and the differences are really at the margins.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ I like Cquartz on the body for all the reasons you explained; but for my wheels I use Opticoat because it has more extreme durability and that is an area that needs the extra protection. Opticoat offers a 5 year warranty where Cquartz is 3 - I believe
Yup, wheels for sure. And, don't forget the calipers!

Bling bling bling.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used CQ Finest and Opti Coat for the last 5-6 years on my cars.

As others have mentioned, its all about the prep work, I cannot stress this enough as these products are not like waxes or traditional sealants. Think of this as adding an additional layer of clear coat almost. So if the surface underneath is not perfect, you will only be high lighting and effectively locking those imperfections in the surface paint in under the coating, or at least till you wear out the product or take it off.

I have found that Opticoat has a slightly muted finish compared to Finest, I have never used normal CQ. Both offer excellent protection compared to normal waxes as I live in Toronto and our cars get a full 4 seasons. I also like CQ Finest better because it actually wears off, and needs to be redone every 4-5 years. Opticoat needs to be buffed off essentially, and then reapplied.

Good luck.
Nice explanation of the different products and applications. Can you let me know who does your work? PM me if you wish. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 66mustang
Check out detailed design auto spa. They are in confers, but do many high end cars.

http://www.detaileddesignsautospa.com
Went through their site, pretty amazing write ups on all their procedures. Thanks foe posting.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:46 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Nice explanation of the different products and applications. Can you let me know who does your work? PM me if you wish. Thank you in advance.
GTA in Detail.
Kevin does great work. A lot of Porsche owners use him.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I would be careful putting stuff on your windows. My Dealership treated my windows before delivery with some new racing stuff. I thought they were screwing with me but it was a no cost but whatever they did I can tell the difference and it is great. I will try to find out
Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

I would be careful putting stuff on your windows. My Dealership treated my windows before delivery with some new racing stuff. I thought they were screwing with me but it was a no cost but whatever they did I can tell the difference and it is great. I will try to find out
What windows? Side? And what does the treatment do? Because if I recall correctly the side windows are treated for water resistance which sounds to me like a factory rain X treatment. So the question might be whether the dealership really did anything.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
What windows? Side? And what does the treatment do? Because if I recall correctly the side windows are treated for water resistance which sounds to me like a factory rain X treatment. So the question might be whether the dealership really did anything.
Clearplex maybe? Or Diamond Fusion?

Like clearbra for your windshield.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Clearplex maybe? Or Diamond Fusion? Like clearbra for your windshield.
That would only go on the windshield though...not the "windows". Just curious to see if the dealership was claiming something standard on the side windows as something they did to treat the windows.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Jimmy, maybe they used Aquapel. It's a better version of RainX. Tire Rack sells it and swears by it.

Yes, our side windows are coated with something from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: about to cquartz my GT3 any hints?