Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are your hot tire pressures with the MPSC2?
Front: 30 or 31
46.88%
Front: 32 or 33
34.38%
Front: 33 or 34
10.94%
Front: 35 or 36
7.81%
Rear: 30 or 31
15.63%
Rear: 32 or 33
21.88%
Rear: 33 or 34
21.88%
Rear: 35 or 36
28.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Hot Tire Pressures on Track with MPSC2

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Could be your camber settings? You're potentially not using the full width of the tire at higher pressures? Do you have a pryometer? Measuring outside, center and inside temps at different pressures will help dial this in. Pressure is often does as a quick fix because it's the easiest to do at the track, but it really should be done last.
Good point. I have a really nice pyrometer that can memorize all three temps on all 4 tires but I never got to use it. I need to have a tech or a buddy help me after several hot laps before the tires cool off quick. I'll do it one day, perhaps as it warms up, to slow down tire cooling and hence get more representative temps.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I experimented a bit with pressures and it appears for track 29F & 31R hot is best combo. For Autocross I run 30F & 32 R hot. This car & tire does not favor higher pressures. Mark
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
front swaybar setting should be adjusted
Could try that. Has anyone adjusted sway bars at the track so far? The reason I ask is that I don't want to adjust it prior, and if I don't like it have a whole day gone with a car that is not what I want.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:06 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Could try that. Has anyone adjusted sway bars at the track so far? The reason I ask is that I don't want to adjust it prior, and if I don't like it have a whole day gone with a car that is not what I want.
I initially put front on loose and rear on firm but the car was unsteady at corner entry but it did great. Once I put Trofeo-Rs on, the car handled differently and I had to dial the rears in a bit so now I have the rear in mid position. I think the front needs to stay loose to reduce the car's tendency to understeer and the rears either mid (stock) or firm positions, depending on your driving style.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Easy to do,
BTW: Here is my set up

Front : ARB #2 " middle"
Camber -2.3"
Caster Factory
Toe 0.5 mm out
Rear: ARB #1 " stiff"
Camber -2.0"
Caster Factory
Toe 2 mm in.

with 30 psi all around, the car is almost perfect on OE tires, and very predictable.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I initially put front on loose and rear on firm but the car was unsteady at corner entry but it did great. Once I put Trofeo-Rs on, the car handled differently and I had to dial the rears in a bit so now I have the rear in mid position. I think the front needs to stay loose to reduce the car's tendency to understeer and the rears either mid (stock) or firm positions, depending on your driving style.
Interesting Sam. When I had staggered pressures it didn't understeer as much. No where near as much.

Originally Posted by malmasri
Easy to do, BTW: Here is my set up Front : ARB #2 " middle" Camber -2.3" Caster Factory Toe 0.5 mm out Rear: ARB #1 " stiff" Camber -2.0" Caster Factory Toe 2 mm in. with 30 psi all around, the car is almost perfect on OE tires, and very predictable.
Cool, thanks for that. Do I need to jack up the car?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting Sam. When I had staggered pressures it didn't understeer as much. No where near as much.

Cool, thanks for that. Do I need to jack up the car?
yes, you should have someone do it for the 1st time while you observe, there is always somebody with tools and skills in the garages if you go looking
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I just realized I misunderstood your question. My answer should have been no but I want to learn it too, heard its easy.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,506 Likes on 2,564 Posts

With -2.0 cambers and alignment otherwise at factory settings, and factory sway bar settings, 30 F and R seems pretty good, based on looking at the tire wear. But this is on a track (VIR) which doesn't have many long corners with high lateral G, so the track is fairly easy on tires. There's a bit of understeer, but I need to track the car more and maybe get some tire temps before I consider changing anything but the hot pressures.

Overall, I'm impressed with the tires so far. Grip is good enough and not overly sensitive to pressure - I rode with a superb driver in his 991 GT3 with the same tires, and he showed me how fast the car is even with pressures in the high 30s! And the tires deliver this performance while being quiet and comfortable on the road ...
Old 05-24-2015, 05:27 PM
2016RS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

delete

Quick Reply: Hot Tire Pressures on Track with MPSC2