Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS at Nardo ... I broke the cameraman

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, "goofy" is the proper term indeed (for the video).

is it just me or does Porsche seem to be flubbing the marketing of the RS? i mean, it's arguably the most exciting Porsche in some time-- with the exception of the 4.0 RS 997-- and yet the videos they've been coming up with just haven't really captured that adequately.

maybe i'm just jaded with Porsche's marketing at this point.

and yes I know that they will likely sell every RS they produce, but i'm not getting goosebumps seeing any of these videos. the "race" between the RS and the GT4, and now this "home video" concept...

just feels meh IMO.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:05 AM
Biff_Malibu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry, young Porsche super star driver or not, the selfie video aspect was pure stupidity. It was pandering to a demographic that is irrelevant to the RS. Even if someone of that "generation" watched this, they would feel it was so fake, they couldn't appreciate it regardless. We can't give them a pass on this simply because they're Porsche (even from a marketing perspective). It had me irritated to the point where I couldn't focus on the car, which was the whole point of watching the video!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sadly, I agree. I can't say "There is no substitute" was an act of inventive genius. "Kills bugs fast" was a cool picture, but the tagline was a bit meh, too.

In fact, Porsche has a long lineage of lame taglines and ad campaigns for various models. The lameness parallels their afterthought radio quality over the years. Listen to Jim Gaffigan on his Hot Pockets / By Mennen riff.

I wish David Lynch would shoot a couple Porsche commercials.

or GC - the faux agency that did the Big Data Dangerous Shoes in their video

Old 03-09-2015, 02:42 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I wish David Lynch would shoot a couple Porsche commercials.
Great post!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:57 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Tough crowd; I thought they were fine. Certainly not Porsche's finest but not a fail as some suggest. What I find insufferable are ads where Porsche takes itself too seriously. The cars Porsche makes are about FUN!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:11 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

He mentions in the video, the RS is so agile at both the low speed corners & high speed corners, and he attributes this to the rear wheel steering. Perhaps I missed this, but does the RS has a rear wheel steering like the GT3 or the turbo? I was under the impression it did not. Perhaps I had the wrong impression. Mark
Old 03-09-2015, 03:45 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mqandil
He mentions in the video, the RS is so agile at both the low speed corners & high speed corners, and he attributes this to the rear wheel steering. Perhaps I missed this, but does the RS has a rear wheel steering like the GT3 or the turbo? I was under the impression it did not. Perhaps I had the wrong impression. Mark
It does.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i'm in for david lynch input.

working title: LOST AUTOBAHN
Old 03-09-2015, 04:03 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE
Tough crowd; I thought they were fine. Certainly not Porsche's finest but not a fail as some suggest. What I find insufferable are ads where Porsche takes itself too seriously. The cars Porsche makes are about FUN!
I don't know if it was a fail, but it seemed somewhat stilted.

Everybody in media these days has jumped on the bandwagon of 'reality TV', ironically the MOST scripted junk out there, more than fictional series. Sadly, with good fiction there can be more abstract, meaningful content conveyed than the faux non-fictional stuff out there.

I agree with the idea of fun as an advertising focus for a sports car, on one hand.

On the other hand all cars, but especially sports cars that are raced or pushed to the limit on the track, are carrying your life and your passenger's life. The design or implementation of a design fails and you are dead or quadriplegic, or your car is toast, or someone else is harmed (e.g. coolant hose failures on 7GT3s).

I like it when they take their cars seriously in the advertising and with over-engineering of all the components.

Who do you want to be the most anally-retentive: your car manufacturer, tire manufacturer, or mechanic? All of them. I want to be the one making the over-the-top jokes while they bite their nails over perfection of every detail. Polished ads leave you feeling some confidence in their product. I see why there is a bit of moaning.

I didn't have such a critical eye when I posted this, but interesting reflection promoted here. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:24 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

For the David Lynch-o-philes on this thread, I have a better concept for an introduction video for the 991RS than the one Porsche did with the flashing walls, and disappearing car:

This is the video for Chet Faker's song Gold directed by Hiro Murai from LA.

Imagine it one of two ways: the RS is slowly following behind the skaters in the shadows and the skaters split apart in the end and it blasts past into the darkness.

In the other scenario the skaters come upon the RS in the middle of the road (instead of Chet Faker in the car), the RS lights up, burns out via launch control and disappears down the road at 8800 RPMs like a ferocious animal, with the ladies gliding into darkness after it.

That would have been a badass reveal.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:26 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

The feel would be the Lava Orange 991 GT3 is like a growling cheetah in the dark.

Maybe Chester Cheetah, but still a Cheetah.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My all time favorite Porsche ad

Old 03-09-2015, 04:50 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

great ad!
the reality is that these days though, emerging markets are very important to porsche and the dry humour in their old marketing may be lost on new viewers and potentials.
the demographic is changing.
that's why their marketing is so contrived now.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:36 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
My all time favorite Porsche ad

Now that is good!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911