Sponsored by:

Tire change and alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 PM
cashed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire change and alignment?

Just got a quote to replace the Sport Cup and an alignment which the dealer said was necessary after tire change. Regardless to say the quote seemed high compared to Discount tire or other similar shops. Thoughts on having Discount change out the tires vs having the dealership provide the service? Also is the alignment needed after new tires?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

It would help if we knew what numbers we were talking about. Also, are you looking to get a track alignment or just a general alignment?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 AM
cashed
Instructor

$700 difference between the two…..
Old 03-06-2015, 02:29 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You typically don't need an alignment for the street when getting new tires. Is your alignment off / veering to one side?
I typically get my tires from tirerack.com and they are shipped directly to a high end wheel/tire installer. Personally, I wouldn't use costco, discount tire or other high volume installer, especially since you have center lock rims
Old 03-06-2015, 02:35 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I always have dealer match Tire rack prices plus shipping and have them install it. Bad experience on my Cayenne many yrs ago using a local tire shop that earned me scratches all over the rims. They offered to repaint the rims.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:58 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cashed
Just got a quote to replace the Sport Cup and an alignment which the dealer said was necessary after tire change. Regardless to say the quote seemed high compared to Discount tire or other similar shops. Thoughts on having Discount change out the tires vs having the dealership provide the service? Also is the alignment needed after new tires?

Thanks!
Don't need alignment just because you are changing tires. Maybe they are saying they think you need an alignment, period. But how would they know? (You should ask them) -- YOU should if you have been driving the car...

As for costs, what are we talking about? If you want a meaningful reply, you should say what they are quoting you.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:09 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Half or more of the difference may be dealer labor to deal with the Centerlocks.

Are you planning to remove the wheels yourself and deliver to America's Tire?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I had a tire mounted once at a Discount Tire. The next step was taking the wheel with the tire to Forgeline to have the outer section of the wheel replaced and the inner stripped and powder coated. To Discount Tire's credit they paid for everything. You might have better luck.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:55 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I had a tire mounted once at a Discount Tire. The next step was taking the wheel with the tire to Forgeline to have the outer section of the wheel replaced and the inner stripped and powder coated. To Discount Tire's credit they paid for everything. You might have better luck.
For this reason I don't foresee tire changes anywhere but my dealer in the near future... and this is why I hate the f-kking CL's. Makes me captive to the dealer for something so basic and so often needed given the nature/use of the car. Glad the GT4 has 5 lugs.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There must be a number of indy shops which can be an alternative to the dealer(s) where you are. Up here in the PNW there are a number of shops.
It's about choices. I'm doing a track alignment at Cantrell's next week.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:14 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
For this reason I don't foresee tire changes anywhere but my dealer in the near future... and this is why I hate the f-kking CL's. Makes me captive to the dealer for something so basic and so often needed given the nature/use of the car. Glad the GT4 has 5 lugs.
There are lots of independent shops that support gt3 and cup cars. It should not be difficult finding a place that knows how to mount your tires. Just ask some local cup car owners.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:50 PM
cashed
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking I wouldn't need alignment just due to a tire change.

And yes the main difference in price is the 100 per wheel for the CL.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:57 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cashed
Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking I wouldn't need alignment just due to a tire change.

And yes the main difference in price is the 100 per wheel for the CL.
hahaha, 100/wheel. That must be them having a fun joke at your expense. The CLs are a little annoying, but maybe require another 2 minute per wheel for the dealer. Given how many CL cars porsche makes, they should not be charging you extra because of them. If they are, run as quickly as possible to a different dealer.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

The 400 you pay is almost what you need for the tools to do you CL's yourself. I personally changed dozens of wheels and tires at my local America's Tire store and never once had an issue- Forgeline, OZ and stock wheels all were changed multiple times. Not once though did I ever bring my GT3 in, I just took the wheels off myself and took them to the tire shop. I only trust myself with the CL, and most places don't know how to do them properly, even some indy Porsche guys.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:18 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
I just took the wheels off myself and took them to the tire shop. I only trust myself with the CL, and most places don't know how to do them properly, even some indy Porsche guys.
^^^^ This... my fear exactly...

Quick Reply: Tire change and alignment?