Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GMG 991 Roll Bars & Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

As an early gen 1 buyer I'm bummed that some of gen 2 goodness was not thought through. I'm not as concerned about cross-bracing, but it's strange that the mounting point is to seatbelt bolt rather than chassis.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a Gen 1 bar installed today, after a lot of effort by 3 men to make it bolt together. What are my options for it? Remove and replace with Gen 2, or are you saying there are components to upgrade the Gen 1 (cross bars) and if so do they bolt or weld on?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm on the fence between gen1 and gen2.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like the aspect of the Gen 1 bar having a lot more available storage space behind the seat...but its really only a harness bar - the stress on the joints to get the pieces to fit together can't be good for its strength.

I presume the Gen 2 bar would be a lot stronger in the case of a rollover. I'm also not sure about the sturdiness of the mount on the seat belt anchorages compared to the the floor.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
As an early gen 1 buyer I'm bummed that some of gen 2 goodness was not thought through. I'm not as concerned about cross-bracing, but it's strange that the mounting point is to seatbelt bolt rather than chassis.
Our apologies as during the engineering phase we are always continuing to improve existing designs in any way that we can. Not that the gen 1 was a bad design, but it has been significantly improved with the new gen 2. There are advantages to each bar.

Originally Posted by 90944
I just had a Gen 1 bar installed today, after a lot of effort by 3 men to make it bolt together. What are my options for it? Remove and replace with Gen 2, or are you saying there are components to upgrade the Gen 1 (cross bars) and if so do they bolt or weld on?
Unfortunately each harness/roll bar is designed with it's specific pieces a gen 1 cannot be upgraded to a gen 2.

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm on the fence between gen1 and gen2.
Jlanka, if you are doing more street driving and want to maximize the use of your interior space I would recommend the gen 1. The gen 2 is more for the avid track warrior looking for more safety and structural rigidity.

Originally Posted by 90944
I do like the aspect of the Gen 1 bar having a lot more available storage space behind the seat...but its really only a harness bar - the stress on the joints to get the pieces to fit together can't be good for its strength.

I presume the Gen 2 bar would be a lot stronger in the case of a rollover. I'm also not sure about the sturdiness of the mount on the seat belt anchorages compared to the the floor.
The gen 1 rear cross section will still reinforce the front main hoop as it is a 4 point cage. But you are correct it is mainly a harness bar as the front section does not attach directly to the frame but rather the seat belt mounting position.

You are correct that the gen 2 will provide much more rigidity as well as safety during a roll over type of situation. The front cross brace section with the reinforced gusset plates really does provide structural support.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 03-05-2015, 02:50 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Our apologies as during the engineering phase we are always continuing to improve existing designs in any way that we can. Not that the gen 1 was a bad design, but it has been significantly improved with the new gen 2. There are advantages to each bar.
I understand - not blaming you as a vendor, but it's still a bit of a bummer because gen 2 is a better fit for my needs (95% track). I wish there was some kind of a buy-back program or maybe a bit of an upgrade discount ;-)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

EDIT: Nevermind, that is not a 991 in the red bar pic!! No wonder I'm confused. :\

Is there yet a 3rd intermediate version shown in these pics??

The front X frame also looks like it's "leaning back" a bit relative to the perfectly vertical OEM Clubsport bar.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by YOCOHO
I ordered a Gen 2 yesterday can't wait to have it installed at the dealers and then take her out on the track at VIR!!
Looking forward to the side-by-side compare with that other brand Yocoho.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

GMG took care of me today. I have been speaking with Ryan, Dom, Scott and James. I purchased the Gen 1 roll bar, black ceramic coated center section bypass with larger tips, and sub strap mounts for the LWB seats.

I am a big track guy and originally ordered a Cantrell bar. I changed my mind for a couple reasons:

- My 991 GT3 has contrast stitching and I will probably go with an RS in the near future (if possible). I wanted the least amount of cutting so I can put GT3 back to stock if needed. The gen 1 bar only needs slits at the back and if carpet needs replacing it's only the back piece. The Gen 2 bar requires a tad more cutting (not bad) but if going back to stock, you need to replace the entire carpet which is more expensive. The Cantrell bar requires cutting of the side panels which is crazy expensive to replace if wanting to revert to stock ever

- Face it, whether you choose GMG Gen 1, Gen 2, or Cantrell, the roll bar is a just a harness bar. It is NOT a full cage. The full cage is the safest and when it really comes down to a rollover that is what you want. I think if you are telling yourself anchoring on side mounts is safer than anchoring at the seat belt mounts, you need to rethink things, but that's just me. It is still a half cage/harness bar.

The guys at GMG sent me plenty of photos of their products and install photos/directions. Their response by email and phone was almost immediate. They had nothing bad to say about the competition and they gave me enough information to make an informed decision.

I also chose the GMG bypass instead of the Sharkwerks bypass. I have had both in the past. Nothing against Alex and the guys at Sharkwerks because they treat everyone so well and make awesome products, but I prefer the sound and loudness of the GMG by far. Just my opinion and preference.

I have been dealing with GMG for a while especially when I had my 997.2 GT3-RS (WC). I won't lie, but customer service was frustrating at times in the past. This time was different. So far, the "new guys" at GMG have been great. I hope this continues because they make great products. I'll post pics when ever I take delivery of my GT3 and install the stuff.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:32 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

But I thought gen 2 and Cantrell were both roll bars not harness. Is that not the case?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
The Cantrell bar requires cutting of the side panels which is crazy expensive to replace
How crazy? Has anyone priced out the replacement carpets and panels?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the gen 1 bar and have no restriction moving the seat all the way back (I am 6'5"). Does the gen 2 allow both seats to go all the way back as well?
Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I have the gen 1 bar and have no restriction moving the seat all the way back (I am 6'5"). Does the gen 2 allow both seats to go all the way back as well?
I believe they both allow for pretty decent seat travel backwards, but the Gen 1 more so than the Gen 2.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
But I thought gen 2 and Cantrell were both roll bars not harness. Is that not the case?
Yes, they are called roll bars as is the Gen 1.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:28 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
How crazy? Has anyone priced out the replacement carpets and panels?
Full carpet for car and 2 side panels need to be replaced. If you have deviated stitching on the side panels it is more money and a longer wait to get. I was told at least $4k by dealer but I haven't priced it out myself so don't quote me on that.

Quick Reply: New GMG 991 Roll Bars & Exhaust