Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US GT3RS configurator is now live...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that Price $175,900! The last RS based at the same price of the Turbo. Not this time... 991 Turbo Starts at $151,100!

But according to Porsche they made more changes to the new RS than any other RS before it. That and this engine is a completely new Design at 3.9L. Alex, Dan don't tell me you're supplying Porsche with engines? Wonder how far away from the current 9A1 engine this 3.9 is. 500 BHP is a conservative figure as Andy P. would tell the camera during an official interview.

J/K - hope you can get to work on an improved version as quickly as possible but we know that is a long and bumpy road.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Wow that Price $175,900! The last RS based at the same price of the Turbo. Not this time... 991 Turbo Starts at $151,100!

But according to Porsche they made more changes to the new RS than any other RS before it. That and this engine is a completely new Design at 3.9L. Alex, Dan don't tell me you're supplying Porsche with engines? Wonder how far away from the current 9A1 engine this 3.9 is. 500 BHP is a conservative figure as Andy P. would tell the camera during an official interview.

J/K - hope you can get to work on an improved version as quickly as possible but we know that is a long and bumpy road.
it's a 4.0L right?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that's very fair mike. The GT3 looks like such a bargain. I will be tracking mine quite a lot, though it isn't my primary racecar. There still is fun in arrive & drive days, especially after my recent circuit experience with the 991 GT3 on track...amazing. And the aero will make this car more adjustable and dynamic. This isn't a poseur car - or at least it doesn't need to be.

Should a real driver buy a cup instead? Maybe, but running costs are so much higher and if not racing it, seemingly kind of pointless to drive it. For a dedicated, non-street car that isn't classed for racing, why not go with a formula variant? Exponentially cheaper and far better performance.

I think there is justification (though with a smaller slice of the population) for this car. That said, I still wish a manual was offered. It will be years before anyone guts and truly races many of these, so the tranny performance argument is just kind of silly imo. Oh, and lava orange FTW
Old 03-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Please don't shoot me for saying this, but I really think a lot of the $40K difference is in the caché of owning an RS, not the performance. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But from a performance standpoint, the ONLY way anyone is going to be able to appreciate the small difference over a 3 is by tracking the car seriously and if one has the nerve/resources to do that with a $200K car, my hat is off to you.

There's always been a point of diminishing return with road car performance relative to price. It can be argued that the GT3 is also well past that point. For most of us, we should be honest and admit it's at least partly about having the shiniest, prettiest toy and not whether one car is meaningfully or usefully faster than the other. My $.02....
We may be saying similar things here, but IMO Porsche priced it where they thought the market would bear it. I would say they nailed it based on responses so far today. If it was priced in the $150s they would have huge demand, and the dealers and flippers would take the profit over MSRP...like they did when the 997.1 RS was changing hands close to $200k in 2007. Anybody remember those days? This car is launching into a similarly frothy economy, and this time Porsche isn't leaving as much on the table for speculators.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

but I really think a lot of the $40K difference is in the caché of owning an RS, not the performance.
=====> BINGO, mike is right on.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
but I really think a lot of the $40K difference is in the caché of owning an RS, not the performance. =====> BINGO, mike is right on.
Can't argue
Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Haven't seen the official ratios, but will add it to the list so we have:
- Titanium Exhaust
- 25 more hp, 29 more lb-ft of torque
- More downforce/cooling
- same weight
- shorter gearing (tbc)
- buckets
- more tire (width)
- 14 lb - ft, not 29, unfortunately
- 25 lbs. lighter; arguably because LWBs are standard

but you get free colored belts and carbon trim.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Or as Nizer says; You can get the full Anita Bryant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Bryant) look or you can get just orange deviated stitching without the orange seat inserts, center console cover, and door armrests.

No charge!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Better handling, with more rubber, wider track, higher spring rates, plus the aero as you listed. Titanium exhaust is nice but it only serves to keep the weight down and without it, the RS would be even heavier, so strictly speaking it doesn't add performance relative to the 3. Top speed is actually down by 3 mph, acceleration is up by a few tenths.

Please don't shoot me for saying this, but I really think a lot of the $40K difference is in the caché of owning an RS, not the performance. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But from a performance standpoint, the ONLY way anyone is going to be able to appreciate the small difference over a 3 is by tracking the car seriously and if one has the nerve/resources to do that with a $200K car, my hat is off to you.

There's always been a point of diminishing return with road car performance relative to price. It can be argued that the GT3 is also well past that point. For most of us, we should be honest and admit it's at least partly about having the shiniest, prettiest toy and not whether one car is meaningfully or usefully faster than the other. My $.02....
I think removing weight that far out over the rear axle of a 911 I think could be classified as a performance change vs just taking weight off the car elsewhere. Not sure what the new weight distribution will be, but I hope it would be a little more balanced vs a regular GT3.

100% Agree on the last point. I do most of my track work in a Cayman, but I like to track all my cars from time to time to see what they're like. My Cayman is plenty fast and enjoyable - really don't need the RS for that purpose. But it's a nice shiny toy to have in the garage. Adding coverage limit to my track policy is pretty affordable, I just put all of my cars on it. The track cost vs my GT3 is an additional $30/day for the insurance coverage and $186 for a set of rubber based on current prices of MPSC2 vs the GT3.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I wonder how many of those who own a 991 GT3 will make this leap- we should do a poll.

Since I own the GT3 I have more interest in the GT4(Manual )

If you missed the boat on the GT3- I can see how you can find justification for the RS

I am just being honest
Old 03-03-2015, 05:14 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Compared with the GT3, the law of diminishing returns has set in on the RS, at least for me.

I liked both extra cost colors, but think viper, rs or signal grun should be offered as well.

I'll bet this car costs very little more to manufacture than the GT3 and that the difference is nearly all profit for Porsche.

Still if I had the money and garage space, I'd buy one as an additional car, not as a replacement for the GT3. The truth is that Porsche really has most of us by the ***** and knows it.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:04 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking of doing AC and Radio delete. In that case, would you get Sport Chrono... looking for opinions.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If doing those, I think no to sports chrono. That's the direction I'm thinking of heading.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

yeah, i was thinking the same. Just needed the nudge.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:25 PM
kneman1
Instructor

Default Will there be PTS colors or not?

Does this mean there will be no option to PTS?

Quick Reply: US GT3RS configurator is now live...