Sponsored by:

Torquing Wheels at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:59 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torquing Wheels at the Track

I'm waiting on my GT3 and have been reading the CL wheel threads.

This is the first car I will have with centerlock wheels and I'm a bit unsure of what goes on.

My main question is, I tend to check the torque of my wheels after two sessions or after lunch (after the wheels have had some time to cool down).

With the CL's, do I have to do the same? I've read that to properly torque the wheels, the wheel has to be in the air. This just seems super inconvenient on track.

What are you guys doing for this?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I've never done it. torqued is torqued.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:12 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Center lock is locking, so if it's torqued properly and locked, it should not be possible for it to loosen. Or is it not a correct understanding? I marked the nut compared to socket and wheel, and never saw any relative rotation there. It's not moving at all ever. I do check torque after every track day when I get home, but do not do it during the day because I think it sould not be done on hot wheels.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Check them in the morning before your session. At lunch pop the caps and check to make sure the locks are still out and flush. If you see that they are not completely out, re torque. If they are, you're good. I did a video not long ago detailing the process. Wheel does have to be in the air but it takes a sec to jack it up an inch or two so really no big deal.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Center lock is locking, so if it's torqued properly and locked, it should not be possible for it to loosen. Or is it not a correct understanding? I marked the nut compared to socket and wheel, and never saw any relative rotation there. It's not moving at all ever. I do check torque after every track day when I get home, but do not do it during the day because I think it sould not be done on hot wheels.
That's right Max.

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Check them in the morning before your session. At lunch pop the caps and check to make sure the locks are still out and flush. If you see that they are not completely out, re torque. If they are, you're good. I did a video not long ago detailing the process. Wheel does have to be in the air but it takes a sec to jack it up an inch or two so really no big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Occky5wSB4
I've left the caps off because I lost them on the cool down lap or in the pit. I'd hear a pop and see it pass me off the track never to be found again...
Never really got any dirt in them, so no harm....
Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Learned is past weekend a handy little tip for the center lock

Recently mounted all new sneakers and RR center lock after torqueing wouldn't fully spring out to

surface flush lock position : the oem cap removal tool opposite end is made to fit in the center lock

and has a small lip grove that matches a mating surface in the center lock so one can tickle the

the lock right or left while pulling tension out if its hung up so to get lock properly set.

Quick Reply: Torquing Wheels at the Track