Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   ** MY JET BLACK GT3 - ARRIVES (PICS & VIDEO) ** FINALLY!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/857164-my-jet-black-gt3-arrives-pics-and-video-finally.html)

ATXGT3 02-08-2015 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup (Post 12024509)
You've got a lovely car in black! I so admire your motivation in keeping that black paint clean and perfect! I've had my share of black cars (still have two) but swear I just don't have the patience to put up with all their hassles; especially the unavoidable road rash that peppers the front end, swirl marks, dust, etc., etc., etc.

The peppering of the front hood, bumper, roof, and rockers just behind the front doors on 911s is impossible to avoid. I ordered Sapphire Blue...

Congrats!

Understand...30+ black cars in the past 20 years...I LOVE THEM. Once polished and waxed, get a hand wash once a week like any other color I would buy :thumbup:

Haku 02-08-2015 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ATXGT3 (Post 12024461)
Two polish coats (with blue 6" electric buffer) and wax coat...all the reasons I love black

Like a mirror--Porsche did a great job on the paint job. Zero (almost) orange peel. One of the best paint jobs I've seen.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...87e81ac8d2.jpg

That looks stunning! Just about the best black wax'n'shine I've seen. Well done.

I went for a longish drive. Came back and gave the car a wash, wax, and she as well! Nothing but elbow grease here.

Just in time 02-08-2015 09:32 PM

Black does require more maintenance but the cars are incomparable to any other color.

Just in time 02-08-2015 09:57 PM

ATX was the polish DIY? ISO so what polish/wax did you use? I am about to embark on the same with my jet black and I am undecided as to which products to use. Would appreciate your input given the stunning brilliance of your car.

ATXGT3 02-08-2015 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Just in time (Post 12024673)
ATX was the polish DIY? ISO so what polish/wax did you use? I am about to embark on the same with my jet black and I am undecided as to which products to use. Would appreciate your input given the stunning brilliance of your car.

I've used every dark polish and wax (no matter the price)..and stayed with Chemical Guys for the past 4 years, with the best results I've ever seen. On all my cars (all black) use 'Black Light Polish' and the use their 'Black' wax. I always clay bar first. Also, using a professional buffer is key. Two polish coats makes a HUGE difference.

It's a fun thing for me--I enjoy doing it twice a year. Of course can hire people, but enjoy doing it myself as it's a bonding thing with the cars :cheers:

Just in time 02-08-2015 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by ATXGT3 (Post 12024694)
I've used every dark polish and wax (no matter the price)..and stayed with Chemical Guys for the past 4 years, with the best results I've ever seen. On all my cars (all black) use 'Black Light Polish' and the use their 'Black' wax. I always clay bar first. Also, using a professional buffer is key. Two polish coats makes a HUGE difference.

It's a fun thing for me--I enjoy doing it twice a year. Of course can hire people, but enjoy doing it myself as it's a bonding thing with the cars :cheers:

DIY is much better. There is a priceless sense of satisfaction derived from seeing the result of the elbow grease.

I use Chemical guys prods too but was thinking of going with Menzerma for final coat. I have used Chem Guys Pete 56 Black Pearl on my Carbon Black BMW to mixed results. Don't know if my application was correct though.

tims16m 03-16-2015 01:29 AM

ATXGT3, what a stunning looking car! Are you planning on Xpel clear bra? I saw that you have done a paint correction, I have read that even some new paint jobs require a correction. I am receiving a car later this year in Basalt Black. Just wondering is it necessary to do paint correction before application of an Xpel
clear bra? Once the bra is on what do you do to keep the mirror shine? That reflection off your front hood is truly impressive. Thanks

ATXGT3 03-16-2015 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by tims16m (Post 12122693)
ATXGT3, what a stunning looking car! Are you planning on Xpel clear bra? I saw that you have done a paint correction, I have read that even some new paint jobs require a correction. I am receiving a car later this year in Basalt Black. Just wondering is it necessary to do paint correction before application of an Xpel
clear bra? Once the bra is on what do you do to keep the mirror shine? That reflection off your front hood is truly impressive. Thanks

It depends how bad (if it all) paint is from factory. At the very least, give it two coats (with machine) of polish. Once you seal (Xpel) the car, you will not be able to polish it (to where it will truly have an affect on paint)--so do it BEFORE application. You can always add wax onto, but the polish on black is where the shine comes out.

And yes clear bra is on the car already...:thumbup:

tims16m 03-16-2015 04:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. So the pic with the reflection off your front hood is with the Xpel, that is incredible. I would honestly expect some drop off in the mirror finish from the clear bra, but it looks like glass. I will definitely have the paint surface polished before clear bra. Thanks.

ATXGT3 03-16-2015 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by tims16m (Post 12124107)
Thanks for the advice. So the pic with the reflection off your front hood is with the Xpel, that is incredible. I would honestly expect some drop off in the mirror finish from the clear bra, but it looks like glass. I will definitely have the paint surface polished before clear bra. Thanks.

It's SunTek (prefer over Xpel--but that's personal).

NSD991 03-16-2015 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ATXGT3 (Post 12024694)

Black light polish here as well. Very easy to apply and remove

ATXGT3 03-16-2015 11:10 PM

^^^as prescribed by the doctor :-)

991 3Turbo 03-17-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by NSD991 (Post 12125240)
Black light polish here as well. Very easy to apply and remove

Incredible.