Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me I am still figuring to out the smoking. I tried leaving it to idle for 1 min+ before turning off, it worked the first time, but now it still smoke a lot during every startup.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM
LindsayMac
Advanced

Slightly off topic from the intent of OP but!

I am hopeful these statements made recently on PH in the UK are just internet rumour mill?
From what I read here, no real issues with these cars on track in the US.

Quote below

"Some guys on german forums suggest that there are owners that are on their third GT3 engine now.
They got a second engine replacement as directed by Zuffenhausen, complete with a nondisclosure agreement. Fun times if true. Can anybody confirm/deny this?"

"Saw quite a few in germany with problems including 4 Uk cars that went over for the weekend to the ring and only one drove home !Two others on ramps with oil chucked out everywhere and waiting for porsche to collect them.Could have been simple problems but the garage did not seem to think so.All of them had had new engines and run them in."

"Anecdotal and 2nd hand but a friend who spends a lot of time at the ring has told me of the same. He has seen 3 cars with serious issues at Spa/Ring and 2 had replaced engines while the 3rd was a post recall build. I don't think the non disclosure agreement part is likely/possible though."
Old 02-01-2015, 09:32 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1000 miles. No issues. Going to 7K going forward. Going to add a few miles before breakfast. Superbowl sunday.

Here's a picture of our sunday morning breakfast club.
Attached Images   
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

What would the world be without UFO’s falling from the sky, shadow governments watching our every move, and big brother trying to keep you down? Add this to the list!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not heard of any killed engines yet but when I was at factory recently there was mention of a couple known PDK-S issues with several GT3s at the N-ring with oil spewing out all over track......tranny's were all replaced. I was told analysis was underway. Someone in US had similar issue awhile back. The engine stories would be concerning if indeed also true.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

5,500 miles, 2 track days and no mechanical issues. (Only drove it for 2.5 months so far given the weather in the Boston area)

I did have some paint blemishes noticeable under certain light conditions but I was able to remedy 80% of it with a few hours of paint correction efforts.

Can't say I've heard of other engine swaps.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LindsayMac
Slightly off topic from the intent of OP but!

I am hopeful these statements made recently on PH in the UK are just internet rumour mill?
From what I read here, no real issues with these cars on track in the US.

Quote below

"Some guys on german forums suggest that there are owners that are on their third GT3 engine now.
They got a second engine replacement as directed by Zuffenhausen, complete with a nondisclosure agreement. Fun times if true. Can anybody confirm/deny this?"

"Saw quite a few in germany with problems including 4 Uk cars that went over for the weekend to the ring and only one drove home !Two others on ramps with oil chucked out everywhere and waiting for porsche to collect them.Could have been simple problems but the garage did not seem to think so.All of them had had new engines and run them in."

"Anecdotal and 2nd hand but a friend who spends a lot of time at the ring has told me of the same. He has seen 3 cars with serious issues at Spa/Ring and 2 had replaced engines while the 3rd was a post recall build. I don't think the non disclosure agreement part is likely/possible though."
Ominous, if true. If so, could it be why Porsche (as speculated) is ceasing 991 GT3 production? So many problem threads have been opened on this forum. New ones every day. I know there is a lot of love here for this car; I get a thrill every time I start mine. I feel like I'm firing up a jet fighter. But, at some point, we have to ask ourselves, is the GT3 a lemon? That is, if we haven't already.

As far as problems with my car? My wheels chip if I merely glance at them.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Napoli
we have to ask ourselves, is the GT3 a lemon? That is, if we haven't already.
LOL. If you believe that, then I'd sell yours now.

Plenty of buyers and these ridiculous broad 'issue' threads do nothing but feed internet trolls in general.

I see plenty of owners here with ZERO issues.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
LOL. If you believe that, then I'd sell yours now. Plenty of buyers and these stupid broad 'issue' threads do nothing but feed internet trolls in general.
Consider yourself well fed.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

A friend and an SCCA instructor has done over 2000 track miles and drives his '14 991 GT3 VERY hard. Had his engine replaced. NO engine or other mechanical issues at all.

With regard to Porsche forcing an owner to adhere to nondisclosure for something like a faulty engine issue. Utter nonsense! No car manufacturer would be able to justify that in court. If these were true or serious issues, the motoring press would have reported it pronto. They love this sort of news. So with due respect to the poster, until I read facts that are verified by Porsche, all reports like on PistonHeads and posts like some of those above are nothing but rumours.

Dare I say it may even be to justify their own reason not to have or be able to get a 991 GT3!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:25 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, lets be real here....the car is still young and there are teething problems with most cars. To go right at the "lemon" conversation everytime someone discusses a issue seems silly. There have been very few consistent issues here and most are one offs and minor. My 7 RS has had a laundry list of minor issues throughout its life also, and for that matter I haven't experienced many sports cars at this level that haven't. Then of course we have the situations when people report problems on RL that aren't problems at all...just a lack of reading owner's manual???
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Many seem to forget that the GT3 is not a very large production and every car will have some problems, it is a machine. We are the minority who obsess over our cars, so we will always find something to nitpick.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

2015-2500 kms and three track days. No issues. So far just had to add oil at 1400 kms.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:35 PM
LindsayMac
Advanced

Haku

In agreement with your comments, I have not been able to get mine on track but having had zero issues with my previous P cars and with the slightly marred history of the 991 I am attentive to any possible issues they might have.

LindsayMac
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Sloopy
Pro

I had paint corrected & found several sanding marks + dealer had washed it and installed some spider webs. Perfect now and need to replace left tail light due to moisture.

Quick Reply: GT3 Problems