Sponsored by:

Question About 991 GT3 Inventory

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 03:49 AM
colimaxp
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About 991 GT3 Inventory

I'm a new guy here and interested in new GT3 RS. I have 2 questions that hope pros here can give some advise:

1, I went to a socal Porsche dealer (don't mention name here) to ask a sales about the new rs. He told me a lot, but the main point is: if I get a GT3 first at this dealer and then I could be added to the RS waiting list easily, and it will be a huge possibility to get it (like more than 80%) cuz Porsche wants its owner to have GT3 first instead of having a RS directly, sounds similar to a luxury watch boutique, Patek Philippe always wants its customers have some simple watches first and eventually have more and more complicated watches. I'm wondering is this really possible?

2, After that I was thinking it might not be a bad idea if I take GT3 first, have some fun, taste it (I'll be a new GT3/Porsche owner) and trade in for the RS next year. So I did some research, and I found that there are so many GT3 inventory in socal Porsche dealer: Beverli Hills has 11, Downtown LA has 9, Makenna has 6, Torrance has 6, even Riverside has 1. I'm confusing is GT3 in bad sales now? It seems really popular for sport car enthusiasts, but why there are so many inventory? Almost every socal Porsche dealer has more than 1 in stock.

Really hope pros here could give me some advise. Thanks. Appreciated!!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:55 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 120 Posts

1) As far as I know, there is no such requirement from Porsche. The dealer you are talking to merely wants you to buy a GT3 from them now. The dealer could add you to the RS list now if they wanted to.

2) Were you going based on the dealer website? Dealers often put every car they get on their website even though it was ordered specially by a customer. Doesn't mean they are available for purchase. You'd have to call the dealer and ask what cars they actually have available.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by colimaxp
I'm a new guy here and interested in new GT3 RS. I have 2 questions that hope pros here can give some advise:

1, I went to a socal Porsche dealer (don't mention name here) to ask a sales about the new rs. He told me a lot, but the main point is: if I get a GT3 first at this dealer and then I could be added to the RS waiting list easily, and it will be a huge possibility to get it (like more than 80%) cuz Porsche wants its owner to have GT3 first instead of having a RS directly, sounds similar to a luxury watch boutique, Patek Philippe always wants its customers have some simple watches first and eventually have more and more complicated watches. I'm wondering is this really possible?

2, After that I was thinking it might not be a bad idea if I take GT3 first, have some fun, taste it (I'll be a new GT3/Porsche owner) and trade in for the RS next year. So I did some research, and I found that there are so many GT3 inventory in socal Porsche dealer: Beverli Hills has 11, Downtown LA has 9, Makenna has 6, Torrance has 6, even Riverside has 1. I'm confusing is GT3 in bad sales now? It seems really popular for sport car enthusiasts, but why there are so many inventory? Almost every socal Porsche dealer has more than 1 in stock.

Really hope pros here could give me some advise. Thanks. Appreciated!!

Several things here, one I think your dealer is being dishonest and trying to sell you a GT3 if he has one?? When you pull up the dealer site all cars that are being delivered automatically appear on the site along with (presold) cars. My 2015 appeared at my dealer and people were trying to buy it when it was on the floor waiting for my pick up.

Typically if the car is listed with a color picture you can thumb through its actually on property for sale. As for the GT3 RS very limited supply, and all 918 owners get the first crack at them then the rest on waiting list which are a mile deep. Car will price in the high 180's, and up to 50k mark up for the desperate people.

If you can find a new GT3 grab it as production is close to being done, and you will find little or no inventory. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL.

Okay, first issue, SoCal dealer--run. ANYONE can add you to a list--that means nothing. No guarantee whatsoever. Seriously doubt you will get RS walking in off the street. To use your Patek analogy, if you walk into the Patek Boutique in Geneva and ask for Grand Complication--do you think you're going to get one...no.

Now as to inventory people ask this question here all the time, and the answer is the SAME...they DO NOT have that kind of inventory, as those are pre-sold units that still show on their site, Autotrader, Car.com, etc...call them and ask them if they have 11 units. They will laugh at you. Inventory is slim to none on these cars, and any left over units are probably missing important options...be careful.

And lastly, for the love of god, do NOT fall into the SoCal policy of paying above MSRP.

Good luck and grab a GT3 while you can and then start praying you name will make it to the top of the RS list (which may have 50 people on it, the dealer will get 2-3 allocations, and you're number 51 on list--see where I'm going with that?)
Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to add anything here that the above 3 posts didn't mention other than listen to what they said, they're all correct. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
1.DEALER IS LYING TO YOU 2.BUY A GT3 ANYWAY 3.YOU ARE NOT GETTING AN RS 4.BUY A GT3 ANYWAY 5.DONT PAY OVER MSRP AND IF YOU ARE THINKING TO, GIVE ME THE EXTRA MONEY AND ILL FIND YOU ONE AT MSRP
Well said!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
LOL.

Okay, first issue, SoCal dealer--run. ANYONE can add you to a list--that means nothing. No guarantee whatsoever. Seriously doubt you will get RS walking in off the street. To use your Patek analogy, if you walk into the Patek Boutique in Geneva and ask for Grand Complication--do you think you're going to get one...no.

Now as to inventory people ask this question here all the time, and the answer is the SAME...they DO NOT have that kind of inventory, as those are pre-sold units that still show on their site, Autotrader, Car.com, etc...call them and ask them if they have 11 units. They will laugh at you. Inventory is slim to none on these cars, and any left over units are probably missing important options...be careful.

And lastly, for the love of god, do NOT fall into the SoCal policy of paying above MSRP.

Good luck and grab a GT3 while you can and then start praying you name will make it to the top of the RS list (which may have 50 people on it, the dealer will get 2-3 allocations, and you're number 51 on list--see where I'm going with that?)
Originally Posted by AC SATCO
1.DEALER IS LYING TO YOU
2.BUY A GT3 ANYWAY
3.YOU ARE NOT GETTING AN RS
4.BUY A GT3 ANYWAY
5.DONT PAY OVER MSRP AND IF YOU ARE THINKING TO, GIVE ME THE EXTRA MONEY AND ILL FIND YOU ONE AT MSRP
I was going to reply, but there's nothing to add to what you guys said. +1
Old 01-31-2015, 03:49 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Nothing more to add except that said dealer seems to be trying to railroad you. Ferrari sales model?

Quick Reply: Question About 991 GT3 Inventory