Sponsored by:

Car arrived today, new to Porsche, question about paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015 | 10:18 PM
Wichard20
Advanced

Default Car arrived today, new to Porsche, question about paint

Hey All,

Car has been sitting in New York for about a month and was just delivered to my detailer today

the bad news is I was pretty shocked with the condition of the paint . The car arrived with plastics still on with no detail requested but the car is covered in surface scratches. Fortunately my detailer is confident they can all be corrected but is this expected? The wing also looks a little off from the rest of the painted surfaces which is a little concerning but will wait to see what my detailer says. I already sent an email to my dealer letting them know as I was guaranteed in writing the condition of the car with an assurance no paint/body work was performed. The car was dirty so my detailer is going to wash it and give me a full report but want to make sure I am not out of line here. I know some cars come pretty bad from the factory (like Ferrari) but I have not heard this with Porsche.

It will be getting a full Suntek wrap with Modesta as it will be a daily driver that sees track use so I will post pictures when it is all finished and cleaned up. This is my first Porsche, excited to be part of the family and to use the car as intended

Since its not real without a pic, here is it is being unloaded earlier tonight.

Old 01-30-2015 | 10:22 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Where are you located?

Intercity has scratched other cars that I've seen delivered because they cover the cars and dirt on the vehicle scratches the paint. Not sure if surface scratches were in exposed areas or not.

Sorry to hear either way--but congrats.
Old 01-30-2015 | 10:28 PM
Wichard20
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Where are you located?

Intercity has scratched other cars because they cover the cars and dirt on the vehicle scratches the paint. Not sure if surface scratches were in exposed areas or not. But I'd look into Intercity having a piece of the issue.
I am in VA, car was shipped uncovered as the car was dirty. The scratches were noted on the shipping invoice on pickup. The paint under the film looked good when we took it off. It was just all the exposed paint and not sure if that happened during shipment or at the dealer. I believe your car is on the same truck actually, black GT3. I actually asked my Intercity POC to ask the driver to notify me before accepting delivery if they saw any damage which they said they would do but did not.
Old 01-30-2015 | 10:29 PM
jenk12m
Banned

im sure it can be fixed and will come out great
Old 01-30-2015 | 10:34 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Wichard20
I am in VA, car was shipped uncovered as the car was dirty. The scratches were noted on the shipping invoice on pickup. The paint under the film looked good when we took it off. It was just all the exposed paint and not sure if that happened during shipment or at the dealer. I believe your car is on the same truck actually, black GT3. I actually asked my Intercity POC to ask the driver to notify me before accepting delivery if they saw any damage which they said they would do but did not.
PM sent.
Old 01-30-2015 | 10:34 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Surprised to hear about there being scratches all over it - good detailers do have a tendency to exaggerate being perfectionists. I'm sure it'll come out out fine.

I got mine into my detailer untouched and it was perfect but for a 1/4" wet sanding mark under the window trim on the drivers side rear window.
Old 01-30-2015 | 10:43 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Congrats on the GR. A good detailer will take care of the surface scratches, not to worry. They can work miracles. Post pics if you get a chance of the scratches pre and post detailing.
Old 01-30-2015 | 10:45 PM
Wichard20
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback guys. My detailer is awesome and I know he will make it right. I just want to make sure this is not the norm which it sounds like it shouldn't be so I am going to press my dealer to make it right.
Old 01-31-2015 | 01:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Your car will be fine. My car sat at the port for about 5 months and the Dealership actually did a fine job detailing it before delivery. Still took it a week later for paint correction and prepping plus 2 coats of Cquartz. Car looks great. Every 6 weeks just wash and dry it and looks like a fresh wax job was just completed
Old 01-31-2015 | 02:00 AM
Sloopy
Pro

If it helps, mine was red also and looked ok when I picked it up... To excited I guess to notice. On the way to the detailer, I noticed many spider webs and upon his inspection with a light we found multiple sanding marks. Wing had quite a few and he also found a lot in the rear bumper while he was correcting.

When he was done it was amazing. I never knew you could make a new car look so much better.
Old 01-31-2015 | 09:52 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Mine had lots of scratches too, on the wing in particular. To the untrained eye and without holding bright lights it's hard to tell - just giving you a sense of what I mean by "scratch" - this is absolutely normal, you just need a detailer (I would suggest finding your own rather than using the dealer sourced one) to do a full paint correction. I wanted to do this regardless bc it's very real and possible to have a finish that looks far better than factory.
Old 02-03-2015 | 08:54 AM
Wichard20
Advanced

Appreciate the feedback everyone. My dealer agreed to cover the correction

The detailing process started yesterday, will have many more pictures later.

Old 02-04-2015 | 12:12 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

My car arrived with sanding marks on the wing as well. It appears this is not uncommon.
Old 02-04-2015 | 12:39 AM
Sloopy
Pro

My detailer told me to expect them in certain areas before he even saw the car. Said all Porches have them. Metallic tends to hide more than a solid color.

He stated that Porsche has better paint than Ferrari but are delivered with limited time for final paint finishing at the factory. I think that this is from observation with all the new cars he does.
Old 02-04-2015 | 01:07 AM
jcoles
Instructor

I too had sanding marks on my roof and wing.

Quick Reply: Car arrived today, new to Porsche, question about paint