Sponsored by:

Bucket seats and the PCH - My GT3 Journey

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Bucket seats and the PCH - My GT3 Journey

I’ve had an Audi TT RS for just a touch over two years. In that time I’ve done everything you could imagine (bar a stage III turbo kit) to dial in the car as my first “performance” vehicle. I swapped out rubber bushings, added adjustable coilovers, installed a super fat rear swaybar, stage II tune, exhaust etc. etc.

This was all done in an effort to make the TT a more involved and enjoyable car to drive quickly at the track and on the road. It has been a fantastic car and a great experience but one that left me wanting a bit more; a sentiment that was compounded after a few brief interactions with a number of car-loving friends.

I’m fortunate to work with quite a large number of gearheads at our office. A typical weekend involves a group of us in E30 M3’s, E46 M3’s, 964’s, C6’s, my TT RS etc etc… all meeting up for Cars and Coffee or trackdays in Northern California.

All of us longed for something more focused like a GT3, and when our friend Ruben (Rub on rennlist) finally showed up at the office in an all white 997.2 GT3 RS the game instantly changed.

We went on a drive the following weekend to Canepa Cars in Santa Cruz to show off the new machinery. In our posse that weekend was Rub’s GT3 RS and our friend’s bright green RUF R GT.

I could barely hear the whine of my turbo’d 5-cylinder in the company of the more exotic Porsches as we made our way south along highway 17. As we got closer and closer to Canepa we bumped into a number of exciting vehicles. Most notable for me was a silver 991 GT3 that was the first I had seen. At that moment I knew there would be no holding back.

Later that day I called the Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, IL to inquire about an allocation. Our family has a very good relationship with the Audi/Porsche Exchange having purchased many cars through the Semersky’s over the last twenty years.

The GM took my call and immediately let me know that getting a car would be difficult but that he was on the case and would have his lead Sales Manager follow up shortly. Faris Nijim called me the following week to let me know that a 918 customer would fore-go their allocation and leave the build to me for a new 991 GT3

Jumping for joy – I specked out a car with Faris and was given a confirmation number.

At this point I really must thank Faris, Bruce and the rest of the staff at the Porsche Exchange. Never have I had a better interaction and experience purchasing a car.

The relationship with the The Exchange was never more apparent then when Faris and Bruce were able to get my build delayed to add Lightweight Bucket Seats, announced only days before my build locked. Faris and Bruce made the process a lot of fun and one I would repeat as soon as the bank account allows for it!

As we got closer and closer to the completion of my car, Faris asked if I would be taking delivery in Chicago or if I would want the car courtesy delivered to California.

At this point I knew that I would be tracking the car extensively and would want to add a 6-pt harness and cage to the vehicle. Numerous friends had recommended the work GMG (Global Motorsports Group) had done in the past and so the decision was made to have the car delivered to Los Angeles.

Jerry at GMG was great to work with. He dealt directly with LA Auto Gallery to deliver the car to GMG, have the work completed, and returned back to the dealership for my pickup.

While at GMG, the team worked diligently to find a solution for the 6pt harness installation. While I haven’t yet confirmed a solution for the passenger seat, I am very happy with the work being done for the driver’s side sub-strap mount that GMG are fabricating now.

Beyond the half-cage installation and work being done for the harnesses, GMG arranged paint correction, clearbra, and a slight window tint at Protective Film Solutions. The results speak for themselves and I am blown away.

Finally, after the work was completed and the car returned to Auto Gallery in LA, my buddy and I made the flight to LAX to pickup the car. I had never driven the PCH and other then a brief moment of rain to start the drive – our journey was spectacular. We camped (out of a GT3!!) in Big Sur and made sure to take advantage of the spectacular photo ops.

Each mile driven in the car has been an exciting one. I’m at 1,500 miles now and trying my hardest not to cheat the break-in (although I have once or twice!). My first thought is simply how far ahead the performance level has moved from my capable TT RS. I cannot believe that a car like this abides by the same rules and regulations as a Toyota Prius! I am awe struck. The car is everything I could have imagined and I’m only just barely brushing the surface of the capabilities. The sound, the seats, the throttle response – the car as a total package has got me grinning from ear to ear.

I spoke to Faris recently and told him two critical pieces of information:

1)
I can hardly sleep knowing this beast lives in my garage. As such, I’ve been leaving for work at 6AM just to avoid traffic. Need to be more productive at work? Buy a GT3.

2)
3rd gear is capable of 115mph and all Porsche sales associates should work this useful consumer information into their sales pitch. Totally bonkers.

I hope to learn more and more from all of you here on Rennlist. In the meantime enjoy the photos. I’ve spoken for long enough and the sun is out – it’s time to go drive.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great photography and congrats. Oh, and I'm jealous of your scenery.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:28 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun stuff--GREAT pics!!

Congrats and LOVE the black
Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty cool pics, great photography.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

great shots, I used to live near big sur and spent many summers down there. you captured it well
Old 01-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! beautiful shots.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:43 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Great story, congrats! One question, did you pay MSRP with Auto Gallery Woodland Hills? Or, did you negotiate with Porsche Exchange?

Dan (would like to hear someone got MSRP from that dealership)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Camping out of a GT3! Awesome, I love it. We don't need no stickin SUV!
Sweet photos, they look like a pro took them.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:02 PM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story....Great pics....Great Car!!!!!!!! Congrats!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:05 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 199 Posts

Great write up! Great story, great photos! One of the better threads I've seen on Rennlist.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 PM
KEEPUP
Instructor

Congrats!! Beautiful car and pix!! I actually saw ur car while it was at GMG, one day when I randomly dropped by there.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Nice photos and beautiful car.

1) Are the pictures with the Lotus race car at GMG?

2) It's possible that the detailer who polished the car did not do a good job. In the 3/4 view you can see what appears to be rotary polish burn all over the rear bumper. Or perhaps that was the before pic? Easy to fix, but this is a common error with people using rotary polishers. Almost did not want to mention this, but thought I'd bring it to your attention since this really bothers me when cars are prepped this way. If these are just reflections in the paint from the sky or something, feel free to tell me to STFU!
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2015, 12:07 AM
JimSand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome photos and story! Great choice choosing Ryan at Protective.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+991 for Ryan at Protective and GMG. Great combo of guys and conveniently close... Great pics
Old 01-31-2015, 02:01 AM
1pvr
Racer

Great story and a fantastic set of photos. Can't decide which ones I like most, they are that distinctive.

Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Bucket seats and the PCH - My GT3 Journey