Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston - Need the best of the best.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:14 PM
avi8tir
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Houston - Need the best of the best.

Although I moved to Houston from SoCal 4 years ago (can someone please pass me a tissue for my tears???), I have really shied away from having any work done to my cars here due to the fact that my initial experiences were TERRIBLE and no one seemed to know what they were doing with high end cars. I even ordered my GT3 from my dealer in SoCal with the intent of sending it to my (formerly) local shop to have everything done to it... film protection, bypass, roll bar, harness, etc.

I've decided to roll the dice and deal with local shops in houston. The car is now on its way to Houston from CA.

Even if I have to drive it up to Dallas to get decent work done, I will.

I need recommendations for the following:
  • clear bra (custom only - no pre-cut)
  • Graphics (thinking about some stripes?)
  • Bypass insall
  • roll bar install
  • harness install
  • paint work (perhaps wing and side mirrors)

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Red GTS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modena autowerks painted my brake calipers back in late Dec. I also had them
do the window tint. Porsche sales Assoc recommended them. I am happy with the results. Jayme is the owner 832-351-2886
Old 01-30-2015, 05:33 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO Dallas has better 'car shops' and the Porsche dealers in Dallas from a service standpoint are head and shoulders above.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 PM
avi8tir
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
IMHO Dallas has better 'car shops' and the Porsche dealers in Dallas from a service standpoint are head and shoulders above.
No doubt. There is no car culture in houston. people would rather spend their money on a shiny new ford truck. or ronny in his brand new dodge charger rt.

Dallas is much more cosmopolitan.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for paint work in Houston, Id recommend www.collisioncraftsman.com
Mark is a "car guy" and does very good body work.

If youre OCD like me than it may be worth you while to visit dallas for a couple of days. I'd recommend:
Norm Schilling for the clear film
Charlie at Innovative Autosports. He was a master tech at parkplace porsche and frequently works on race/track cars.

if you must go to a dealer John Gladwell at Porsche of Plano is your man.

good luck

Last edited by kosmo; 01-30-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:47 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
for paint work in Houston, Id recommend www.collisioncraftsman.com Mark is a "car guy" does good body work. If youre OCD like me than it may be worth you while to visit dallas for a couple of days. I'd recommend: Norm Schilling for the clear film Charlie at Innovative Autosports. He was a master tech at parkplace porsche and frequently works on race/track cars. if you must go to a dealer John Gladwell at Porsche of Plano is your man. good luck
I can't speak for anything in Houston, but this sums up Dallas pretty well.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

why would you go to Dallas, when Austin is only 100 miles or so to your west. Much closer. David Moore at Moorespeed is very well known here and is used by several of the race teams that run at COTA events and elsewhere. His team runs their own cars too. In the last ALMS, they were servicing of the GT3 teams. Specialize in Porsche, Ferrari, etc. You would not be disappointed for all things paint, body, mechanical. I experienced nothing as good as this outfit in the 15 years I lived in Dallas.

http://www.moorespeed.com/

The owner David is a personal friend, so if you do decide to go this route, let me know and I will make sure that he handles things personally.

XPEL has a corporate factory facility here in Austin for clearbra installation also.

If you were absolutely set on going to Dallas, the Gladwell recommendation is a good one, for paint and body, Stuart's, agree with Norm for clear bra.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My detailer's shop - Apex Detail - has locations in NJ and Dallas. He does amazing work and can either directly do or source clear bra surface prep, clear bra, painting, stripes. Get your dealer to do the bypass install - there's no issue there, it's very easy. Can't help on the roll cage and harnesses but if you're going to get a GMG one just call them and ask for the best tuning garages that carry their products within reasonable driving distance of Houston.

If you want to call my detailer, his name is Dan 917 545 0645. If you want to see his work, search my post "Fully detailed mahogany metallic." Literally no seams.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been here for about 7 years and feel like I've tried every shop in town....they all suck. I do most of my own work but for alignments and lift work I've had to venture out with average to horrendous results.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 PM
avi8tir
Instructor

Originally Posted by 008
I've been here for about 7 years and feel like I've tried every shop in town....they all suck. I do most of my own work but for alignments and lift work I've had to venture out with average to horrendous results.
I'm glad 'm not the only one who sees it this way! I've been bashed in other forums for making these statements. Certain people (the natives) have certainly consumed their share of the Kool-Aid!!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd love to find a good shop here, hell I'd love to find one that does what it says it's going to do in the time promised. I know tuners and the like are not universally known for service and capability but I was spoiled in FL. The bar is pretty low now....

Quick Reply: Houston - Need the best of the best.