Sponsored by:

My delivery photo essay

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:42 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts
Default My delivery photo essay

My GT3 journey started in 2011 when I became the third owner of this beautiful 2010 997.2 GT3:

With one of the most beautiful exclusive interiors I have ever seen:

In the next two years I would completely mod out this beautiful car for time trials. It was fast and capable of winning quite often. It was thrilling and beautiful on the track. Unfortunately time trialing left me with an empty feeling- was I a fast driver or did I merely drive a fast car? I realized my journey would need to continue and I would have to get a real race car to satisfy my competitive desires. So, while I loved my GT3, I felt it best to strip it of race parts, sell it and start fresh with the new 991 as my pleasure sports car. Unfortunately I reached this decision in the middle of the stop sale when allocations were slim, and it took me a while but eventual Ralph with inside car connection found me an allocation in Pennsylvania.

Like others, I also was jockeying for a PTS slot, and after a lot of back and forth with Porsche I was in! then out! then in! and finally OUT!!! So reluctantly I focused on standard colors and last piece of drama- delaying my slot to get the LWB's! So after about 6 months I was set, just waiting for delivery which was courtesy to Bend Porsche last week.

Bend is about 175 miles from Portland and requires driving through mountain passes to get there. Luckily I have a great car hauler set-up to make the trip. Here we go:

Last rest stop before the pass (near Salem)
Truck: 2015 F350 DRW Lariat 4X4 Trailer: TPD 26' Triple axle

Lunch stop

Who's driving this rig?

Mt. Washington just over the pass (not my pic)

We're here!!

Delivery miles, 10.9

It's so bright!! Super saturated I phone pic.

First drive to Starbucks. Overheard- "Is that a Ferrari?"

Bend Porsche are great guys, they were having a 918 and BMW I8 party that night with the local car clubs- they invited us, but with 175 miles back home over the passes it was time to pack it up and go.

The wide *** is a tight fit!

Once it was tied down I breathed a sigh of relief, not sure what I would have done if there were any issues with the trailer fit or tie downs! Mileage 14.9- I was too excited and nervous at the same time to really appreciated the car yet! Back over the pass we went arriving at home by 10:30 that night. This was my first tow with a full trailer with the 2015 F350 and it did great. 9.2 MPG for the round trip and the best part was I still had 1/2 a tank when I got home, thanks to my new 65 gallon tank! I think I'll be able to make the drive towing to Willows from Portland (500 miles) without a fuel stop.

The next morning- could you imagine driving the new car through that???

I was worried about this- I didn't want the full carbon fiber look and like the brushed aluminum, but with the LWB's I thought a little touch of CF on the console might be in order. I think it works.

First real drive to the local Nursery. Front lift is still up, oops.

Finally in my garage! I still haven't had a chance to really drive it (75 miles on the ODO) but so far it is like my .2 but better. Seats feel like the GT2 buckets, just right, but maybe a little harder to get into. PDK is magic, the power incredible. Ride is composed and more comfortable than the .2 in stock form. NVH is better but our rutted roads still create a huge roar in the cabin from the tires (when are we going to outlaw studded tires!!??). Smooth roads it is perfect. Still looking forward to driving it more and feeling the car at full power. It's going to be another great adventure!

Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 PM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thanks for sharing!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic. Looks great and nice trailer too.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome home. Congrats on the GR.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats! That's really tight hauling.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your new 3. What tie down points did you use?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:16 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by llstuey
Awesome thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Fantastic. Looks great and nice trailer too.
Originally Posted by bronson7
Welcome home. Congrats on the GR.
Thanks guys! Love the trailer and happy to have the car for it again! This TPD was designed specifically to haul a cup car, so while I knew it was going to be tight, I also knew it would fit.

Originally Posted by hfm
Congrats! That's really tight hauling.
Yes, she is wider than the .2. Notice the mirrors in the parked position?

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your new 3. What tie down points did you use?
MAC custom tie down straps with wheel straps from MAC. Need to get the longer ones to fit the wide rear tires!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Great story! Thanks for sharing. The car looks awesome. Love the GR.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:22 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Yep saw that. I was more interested in how you got out with the doors so close to the walls and concluded you winched the car forward empty with the tow hook. I think I wouldn't have had the patience and would have driven her home. But, you're obviously planning on hauling for track and probably minimizing miles. Again, congrats!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^Thanks!

I forgot to mention a problem I had winching in. Once the car is in neutral you can winch it up, get into position and shift into park and remove the key. To get it out you have to put it back into neutral. To do that, you must restart the car, press the brake and move it out of park! OMG- now you can see how tight a fit the car fits in the trailer, you cannot get back in. So, I had to get a broom handle, nervously start the car, move it from park to neutral and hope 1) I didn't slip the broom handle off the brake, and 2) I was actually in neutral!

There must be a better way, please help!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratulations, my friend! Now... when are you going to bring it down here? We are gathering critical mass to have a gaggle of GT3s out there like we did in the old days. Maybe even more than before!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
^Thanks!

I forgot to mention a problem I had winching in. Once the car is in neutral you can winch it up, get into position and shift into park and remove the key. To get it out you have to put it back into neutral. To do that, you must restart the car, press the brake and move it out of park! OMG- now you can see how tight a fit the car fits in the trailer, you cannot get back in. So, I had to get a broom handle, nervously start the car, move it from park to neutral and hope 1) I didn't slip the broom handle off the brake, and 2) I was actually in neutral!

There must be a better way, please help!
I ended up driving mine in, instead of winching, exactly for the same reason. But man... it's hard for me to drag my fat body out the window inside the trailer!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations! Your passion and excitement is contagious! Great story. And beautiful car!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:33 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hfm
Yep saw that. I was more interested in how you got out with the doors so close to the walls and concluded you winched the car forward empty with the tow hook. I think I wouldn't have had the patience and would have driven her home. But, you're obviously planning on hauling for track and probably minimizing miles. Again, congrats!
Oh no, if there were any problems I was driving home empty and paying a hauler to bring it home. Take a look at the dirt from the passes on the trailer! That is lava pumice they put on the road for traction and it filters into every nook and cranny and scratches everything if you aren't careful as you wash it off. I have an Warn electric winch with a wireless remote so the car goes up very safely and slowly, you can look at all the clearances as it goes in. Make sure to slope the trailer so it always has tension on the rope. I have a lot of practice with the .2. Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Congratulations, my friend! Now... when are you going to bring it down here? We are gathering critical mass to have a gaggle of GT3s out there like we did in the old days. Maybe even more than before!
I can't wait Lar, it will be fun. This first Mooty day is tough for me with a race and work conflict! I will be looking for more opportunities it will be awesome to hang with the gang again!

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I ended up driving mine in, instead of winching, exactly for the same reason. But man... it's hard for me to drag my fat body out the window inside the trailer!
No way could I get out. My trailer is slightly narrower than other TPD's (for some reason I'm not sure) by like 7 inches as I found out when I tried to sell my shoring beams to PJ. Maybe I should just leave it in neutral with the key in the ignition?

Quick Reply: My delivery photo essay