Sponsored by:

1600 mile review.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:14 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1600 mile review.

Lots of review, however I thought I would add another perspective.

As I have already stated, as others, this cars ride is amazingly compliant. I find a new appreciation for the car with every new mile added. Went on a 180 mile one way trip and at arrival at my destination was sorry I had to stop. The steering, the shifting, the way you can feel everything the car is doing, I still am more impressed with every added mile.

My plan was to drive by the book for 1000 miles, do and oil change and then start adding a few hundred RPM to the 4200. Well, today I had my oil change at 1500 miles and still show no oil consumption. I have seen 6000 at partial throttle and started going up to 6 then 7 then 8K, all at partial throttle. Well on the way home I finally unleashed the demands and did several pulls to 9K starting at 6K... While I have driven many cars over the years along with the 997 turbo and did some time in an 04 Viper I was found myself overwhelmed with the acceleration. While I pride myself by always driving smooth I must say that this car humbled me and I feel it will take a while for me to catch up with this monster.

I only went form second to third on a disserted road in order to keep speed down. 6 to 9k come quick and speed keeps building, but just when you would get a break with a gear change you pull the right paddle and you launch forward like the paddle was connected to a pair of rocket packs and the furry starts all over again.

The rest of the way home I tried to think of an analogy that could possible put this into perspective which got me thinking of a time when I was 10 years old. Myself and a neighbor boy would spend days playing outside, (no game boys or computers in the 60s) and would use empty mason jars to catch honey bees. We would put holes in the lids to let in air and then trap the bees between the jar and the lid keeping them inside the jar. The trick was to keep adding bees until the jars had hundreds of bees bussing inside. One particular day we had the jars filled tight with bees then proceeded to shake the jars vigorously. With each shake they would vibrate harder and the noise would continue to grow. Just when the bees were at full anger I dropped the jar on the ground; the jar broke, and the bees were released.

This is what the car felt like on my few excursions to the dark side.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^Next time you get stung in your backyard you will know why you deserved it . Yeh the 6000-9000 rush is like some sort of power band but, I agree, when you pull the paddle for the next gear it just horse kicks you.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:49 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let the beast loose--love it!

Those first 1500 miles are going to kill me.

Congrats on feeling the REAL GT3.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Motoki
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, I have not really gone over 4k yet, except once when the auto upshifted 2 gears to 7k merging onto a highway with cold tires and a wet road. I can tell you I agree, the power was shocking and I was not prepared for it. Keep them coming as you put more miles on, I never tire of reading peoples reviews.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, this was written for those waiting. I thought I was satisfied with being able to go up and down in the gears between 3 and 4K in the turns. Then up to 5K in the turns, but oh; the rush to 9K with the mule kick at the shift is a new high.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the review. It will be interesting to go through the break in process knowing what's coming around the corner with this car. I have a funny feeling once I get the car there will be numerous times I'II be saying to myself.....just do it.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

The dealer here said that there is no real need for a break in.. So i was thinking that maybe 500 miles would do it. I am still waiting patiently for many more months.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:21 PM
87turbo87
Advanced

Default 40 Miles....

Well....with the weather in the NE I've been enjoying sitting in my spanking new GT3 in the garage....bummer. I look up and see the 40 miles on the odometer and fondly recall the 19 mile drive home from the dealer. Until we get a thaw I'll enjoy watching all the 991 GT3 owners on youtube and read up on Rennlist.

Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 87turbo87
Well....with the weather in the NE I've been enjoying sitting in my spanking new GT3 in the garage....bummer. I look up and see the 40 miles on the odometer and fondly recall the 19 mile drive home from the dealer. Until we get a thaw I'll enjoy watching all the 991 GT3 owners on youtube and read up on Rennlist.

Enjoy!
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Quick Reply: 1600 mile review.