Sponsored by:

First impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:37 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First impressions...

- PDK... it revs a bit before the clutch starts to engage. Great for a quick launch. A first for me... no other PDK owned or driven has done that.

- LWB seats... the drivers side is cut for a harness lower attachment but the passengers side isn't. WTF? Besides that, they are pretty much what similar seats are like... uncomfortable at first but you quickly get used to and like the spirited driving position. Adjustments are F - B (manual), and U - D (electric). Entry / exit is not a problem.

- Suspension... my ex would have never stopped bitching about it. Gonna be nice on the track. Very noticeably stiffer than 981's and other 991's I've had or driven.

- Front end lift... very quick, but imperceptible from the inside. Drops automatically at 30mph or so. Notice appears on dash.

- The deal... ouch, I haven't been spanked like that for quite a while. BTW, a Cayman is a bad investment.

- PDK Sport... love it... maybe a split between Sport and Sport Plus on S models. Track time will tell.

- 7th gear... not overdrive, just another gear. 3Krpm on highway. AKA gas guzzler.

- Break in... thankfully it's only 20 miles. It still seemed like forever.

- Steering... seems a wee bit stiffer than others. Couldn't sense the 4WS.

- Cage and harnesses... they said $2K to $2.5K for GMG and something that started with "S". Sorry, was suffering from short attention span and drooling at the time.

- Hopper stoppers... ECR grasshoppers will be disappointed. It comes with nice radiator guards.

- Auto dimming mirrors... very glad to have them even though the wing blocks out most everything.

- Sound... very nice intake noise on acceleration. I think I heard a radio too at one point.

If I can bail on prior plans, I'll take it to the track Friday.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:44 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
- LWB seats... the drivers side is cut for a harness lower attachment but the passengers side isn't. WTF?
WTF, indeed. Thx for the review and congrats!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:44 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- PDK... it revs a bit before the clutch starts to engage. Great for a quick launch. A first for me... no other PDK owned or driven has done that.

Nice!

- Suspension... my ex would have never stopped bitching about it. Gonna be nice on the track. Very noticeably stiffer than 981's and other 991's I've had or driven.

Thankfully she's an Ex How STIFF are we talking about? Not daily driving material stiff?

- The deal... ouch, I haven't been spanked like that for quite a while. BTW, a Cayman is a bad investment.

MSRP is MSRP. Good news, you know almost everyone else paid the same, unlike Cayman.

- PDK Sport... love it... maybe a split between Sport and Sport Plus on S models. Track time will tell.

Sounds fantastic!

- 7th gear... not overdrive, just another gear. 3Krpm on highway. AKA gas guzzler.

Gas is cheap.

Really only 20 miles--cool!

- Sound... very nice intake noise on acceleration. I think I heard a radio too at one point.

It is an amazing sound!

PICS!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

20 mile break in? This sounds lower than the ~1,850 that was stated in previous threads.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 PM
916Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by ATXGT3

Thankfully she's an Ex How STIFF are we talking about? Not daily driving material stiff?

PICS!
A long, bumpy commute in traffic would not be something I'd relish. I expect time on the track, etc would make up for a lot of it though. Best to just retire and enjoy it.

Last edited by 916Bob; 09-12-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you Bob...track time is good. For me I don't commute daily, so think it would be fine, but curious if others have opinions on how STIFF we are talking (I don't like soft rides--always had my 911's in firm/sport ride).

Also, hope PP treated you well. NOlan and crew does a good job--most of the time.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:18 PM
916Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by texas_maverick
20 mile break in? This sounds lower than the ~1,850 that was stated in previous threads.
OK, so Porsche says 2000... my neighbor says "drive it like you stole it. Split the difference and you have 20 miles give or take.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,738 Likes on 5,126 Posts

OK, so Porsche says 2000... my neighbor says "drive it like you stole it. Split the difference and you have 20 miles give or take.
It's your car.

Break it in the way you want.

Enjoy that new toy of yours. Congrats.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:28 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

- LWB seats... the drivers side is cut for a harness lower attachment but the passengers side isn't. WTF? Besides that, they are pretty much what similar seats are like... uncomfortable at first but you quickly get used to and like the spirited driving position. Adjustments are F - B (manual), and U - D (electric). Entry / exit is not a problem.

LWB Eletric and adjustable Up Down?? Can you post a pic of your LWBs and a pic of Driver's side attachments?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:29 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

A long, bumpy commute in traffic would not be something I'd relish. I expect time on the track, etc would make up for a lot of it though. Best to just retire and enjoy it.
I know that dealership! Congrats! Car looks great!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

- Front end lift... very quick, but imperceptible from the inside. Drops automatically at 30mph or so. Notice appears on dash.
- Auto dimming mirrors... very glad to have them even though the wing blocks out most everything.
LOL - when my salesperson was walking me through the features of my car, I pressed the lift button and said that I didn't notice anything. It wasn't until he told me to focus on a sign ahead of the car and press the lift again that I noticed the slight change. While I wish it brought the car a bit higher, it has come in handy many a times.

RE Auto dimming mirrors: I was driving with a few 911's yesterday at night and when I was in the middle, realized I couldn't tell who was behind me because I had a hard time seeing their headlights. Still, this feature includes auto sensing wipers to justify the additional cost.

Congrats on your car - it looks beautiful!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember it's hard to change "First Impressions". You have a great car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Well done and drive the hell out of it !!!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 AM
916Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by fxz

LWB Eletric and adjustable Up Down?? Can you post a pic of your LWBs and a pic of Driver's side attachments?
The up / down switch is at the front left corner. The front back release is at the right front at the floor. The attachment I mentioned was for a harness... there's no thru slot for one on my passenger seat.

Last edited by 916Bob; 09-12-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:22 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Also, it seems that the bottom cushion doesn't split in two so that the bottom belt can pass between the cushions. Probably a hole would need to be made through the cushion. What was Porsche thinking?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

- Steering... seems a wee bit stiffer than others. Couldn't sense the 4WS.

- Cage and harnesses... they said $2K to $2.5K for GMG and something that started with "S". Sorry, was suffering from short attention span and drooling at the time.

- Hopper stoppers... ECR grasshoppers will be disappointed. It comes with nice radiator guards.

Great summary!

Quick Reply: First impressions...